Riot Helmet. Suitable, or not?

Rowland999

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Right guys, bit of an odd one, but could really do with some help with this.

I've literally came across my dads old HMP riot helmet from when he was in the Manchester riots, years ago. its still in good shape, the ballistic face plate is practically in perfect condition, and i was wondering if its legal to use for airsoft? cant find any info on it, after a while of looking, so i wonder if anybody with more experience has a better idea? im needing some new goggles as it is, and if i can use it instead, then that way i can save a bit of money...

Riot helmets typically have a high impact optical grade polycarbonate visor, it's probably way better at deflecting stuff than what most people use at airsoft sites. If you're happy to wear it, it will likely protect you very well, so it's almost certainly legal to do so.

Riot helmets typically have a high impact optical grade polycarbonate visor, it's probably way better at deflecting stuff than what most people use at airsoft sites. If you're happy to wear it, it will probably protect you very well, so it's almost certainly legal to do so.

It might be able to take a hit but because it doesn't seal the eyes is it possible a BB could ricochet under the visor? It could bounce off the visor and into his eye. That's the main issue sites might have with him using it.

• Supporters

I don't know where this word 'legal' is cropping up from, the law has absolutely nothing to do with it.

If this helmet looks the way I'm imagining it does, DO NOT use it for skirmishing. It'll be literally the opposite of full-seal eye protection, the gap underneath and around the lower side that BBs could get in unopposed would be cavernous, you're guaranteeing a lost eye (or two) in a bloody short space of time.

If you want to wear shooting glasses or low-pro goggles and use the helmets' face shield as an overall face protector to give your teeth some coverage then sure, it'd probably work fine. However a visor like that is not suitable eye protection, not at all.

Exactly as above, I used to use the newer versions of what your talking about in a job capacity, do NOT use it for airsoft, you will also absolutely melt in it, they are heavy and don't breath, it'll just annoy you

Yup, some fair points here. I'd agree with it not guaranteeing to protect your eyes from a BB because of the clearance between the visor and your face, so I'd probably wear shooting glasses under it if it were me having to use it. But then again, I wouldn't use it personally, as it's really designed to protect against blows from large objects like thrown bricks, bottles etc, which it is doubtless very good at doing. And of course it is a damn site heavier than most airsoft helmet/mask combinations. The fact that it's cheap/available is not much of a bonus if you consider that you only get one pair of eyes, so they are probably worth a tenner to protect them by getting a mask specifically designed for the purpose of airsofting.

Except of course it's not actually yours to use, and it's a grey area about wether it's even owned by your father or owned by HMP. Does it retain any identifiable markings?

The terror threat level has risen again and this type of uniform is highly valuable to unsavoury types. your father should understand that.

Regardless you shouldn't be wearing it in the same way you shouldn't be wearing any millitary insignia or coloured beret.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.