Newbie in Weston super Mare

beastmode

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

Never played Airsoft before have played paintball a few times.

Do you think it would be best to rent a gun before I can get an air defence or just get a two tone gun for a couple of months?

Also if there's any people in Bristol / Weston area that want to meet up or want lifts then I'm up for that.

Looking to book my first game this month hopefully, can't wait.

Probably better hiring the gear for the day to kick things off, that way you can see what kind of stuff people use at the site you visit and determine whether you like the stuff you are provided with, which is at least likely to be suitable for that site. Speaking to people at the site(s) you intend to frequent is not a bad idea, most people are happy to talk about their gear and you can pick their brains on things you might fancy owning if you are doing some window shopping at websites. Yes it will cost you a few quid to hire stuff, but it will cost you a lot more if you end up buying a weapon and some equipment which you later find you don't like, or is inadequate for what you want to do.

A bit of practical experience is worth its weight in gold with most things and that's certainly true when it comes to determining what kind of stuff to purchase for airsoft, after all, it's easy to make an expensive mistake. For example, if you are at an outdoor site and have to take cover lying down, you very soon realise that the big long banana clip on weapons such as an AK-47 or MP5 mean it is difficult to get them lined up with your eye to take aim when lying low, because the clip hits the ground, so you have to tilt the weapon to the side, you might not like that and so you might choose a bullpup design like the L85, or an AR-15 with a shorter clip, both of which suffer less from that problem. Or you might find that a full protection face mask prevents you from pulling a weapon in close to your cheek to aim, or makes you feel too enclosed or whatever. You might not like the rattle noise a high capacity magazine can make, or you might like the fact that it has a high capacity which may suit your style. Who knows, you might even decide you prefer to dual-wield pistols or some such. Lots of stuff like that can be easily determined from one or two visits and a few skirmishes, and then you're only one visit away from gaining UKARA registration, so enabling you to more easily purchase non-two-toned realistic weaponry at the point where you are also well-informed enough to make a good choice.

Don't be in a hurry to buy the wrong thing. Take it easy and end up with something you're going to like. Of course if money is no object, knock yourself out and buy a two tone weapon, but a half decent one will cost you more than it does to hire a suitable weapon for a few weeks. If money is burning a hole in your pocket and you feel you must buy some things, take a look at tactical vests, masks, speed loaders, torches, and possibly back-up sidearms, holsters, water bottles etc. Those things will serve you well for a long time and are more about personal preference than being pitfalls for buying the right or wrong thing, since most of them are comparatively inexpensive when compared to the cost of a decent main weapon.

Welcome to the forums. There are some good sites around Bristol. Spartan up near the airport is quite good

Hi All,

Never played Airsoft before have played paintball a few times.

Do you think it would be best to rent a gun before I can get an air defence or just get a two tone gun for a couple of months?

Also if there's any people in Bristol / Weston area that want to meet up or want lifts then I'm up for that.

Looking to book my first game this month hopefully, can't wait.

As you seem to have a subconscious fear of air attack, that may however be an issue :D

Black ops at Cribbs causeway and Portishead are okay too. Bristol Airsoft at the courthouse on Bridewell street is also fun for a bit of variation but it's a very small site and people tend to get bored with it.

It's definitely worth hiring until you get a defence sorted out. 2 tone guns just look daft and by the time you sort a defence, many of the retailers will start doing Xmas deals.

haha I wasn't sure what to call it as I know it's not a license.

Booked my first visit to black ops at cribbs on the 28th of September. Can't wait!

just going to rent a gun for the first 3 times then go and have a look at guns.

Always good to spend the 2 months wait looking at the options. That way you can see whats available and ask questions about them.

cheers for the welcome.

yeah definitely the more people I get to know in this sport the better. Do you ever go down to any of the Bristol sites?

Cool give us a shout when you coming down. Definitely want to go to spartan by the airport soon. Going to my first skirmish on 28th of this month.

£45 for me because I have to hire the gun. Think you get £5 back if you bring the gun back clean and standard walk on if you have your own is £20. This is black ops at Cribbs

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.