SA80 mag's

n1ckh

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've got a couple of springer SA80 mags left over from my boys broken rifles, I was wondering if its possible with some modification to make them work in an m4 raider AEG

Has anyone done this ?? and what did you do ??

Nick

• Supporters

I thought SA80's took standard STANAG mags? In which case you can use it in an M4 no problem (assuming they feed OK).

• Supporters

No, the mags from the springer SA80's are proprietary, won't work in a AEG M4.

Well. That's shit. Whoever designs these things?

It certainly is sh*t lozart, I tried loading into the magwell and I think the round port on top of the mag maybe a bit to long

But if it dont work then it dont work

If airsoft rifles are true to to the real thing (obviously within reason) then why (as far as I know) does the real m4 and sa80 mags fit each other

What do you mean by proprietary Monty ??

L85's and M4's both use standard NATO 5.56 STANAG mags as that's what armies in NATO use. Proprietary means that it only fits for that gun and won't fit in another unless you can do an amazing botch job.

If airsoft rifles are true to to the real thing (obviously within reason) then why (as far as I know) does the real m4 and sa80 mags fit each other

It's because the springer L85's mags have a feed lip thing like this:

MAG_HFC_SR202_lg.jpg

And an M4 AEG's mag has a lip like this:

art-mag-029_2_mark.jpg

They're totally different to the real magazines, as they are indeed airsoft. And they're different to each other as they come from different manufacturers and are of a different quality.

I know NATO uses 5.56mm rounds as I served in the army and the cadets but I didn't know proprietary meant until now thankyou

Thanks for the pics tacmaster, I have both mags for sa80 and m4 but the sa80 mags I have they dont have the square feed lip but instead have a round feed lip

I know NATO uses 5.56mm rounds as I served in the army and the cadets but I didn't know proprietary meant until now thankyou

Yh, sorry about the first part nick, (I should have guessed by your pic that you were ex-army or something similar), I thought that's what you meant until TacMaster explained it better :)

That's ok mate so dont worry about it

Its like Ferrari parts will only work in Ferraris etc

• Supporters

What do you mean by proprietary Monty ??

The manufacturer made it so only the magazine it came with would work.

Yep so the only place you can get the bits you want is from them

I have 2x m4 mags in the post to me from army surplus I believe

How many mags do people generally take on a skirmish ?? (I understand its personal preference for people) but I was thinking of getting 6 mags in total for my m4 and have 3 maybe 4 for my 18c aep

• Supporters

The extended bit on the top of the springer mags is built into the gun in an AEG, so the mags don't need to have it.

Makes them incompatible.

I kind of thought that was case when I had a much closer look at things

At I run 6 mag setup. 4 190 round mids and two 500 round highs, however that should last me until lunch, and the last high is only for back up in case I have the same game as last week's with unlimited life's, it all gets a bit hectic.

I've got the 1 hi cap that came with the rifle and 2 mid caps coming aswell so I'll get 2 more mid caps and a hi cap, I've also got 2 pistols as back up, m9 gas Beretta and 18c aep so that should cover me

If all fails, I got my big mouth and a tree branch lol

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.