Responsible disposal of RIF type springer?

NickM

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Right I was digging through some boxes in my loft a few days ago and found an old springer 1911, its shockingly bad I bought it at a market during my uni days for a bit of plinking when bored but its black and looks fairly realistic. It isn't worth anything and I really can't see the point in doing any of the checks to be able to sell it, its really not worth the trouble.

So how do I go about getting rid of it responsibly, contact my local police and ask to hand it in? Take it to pieces and dispose of each in normal rubbish? Take it to the local uni and gift it to the media studies department for use as a prop?

• Supporters

Pretty sure it is pot metal and while yes that might be my favoured option too for a crappy springer I doubt it would get me very far.

• Supporters

I'd just throw it in the bin as it is, who's going to go through your bin bags before lobbing them in the back of the bin lorry? It's a non-issue.

What lozart said... Smash it with a hammer, and bin it.

If you have any resin, you could fill it with that, then bin it.

Pour some old emulsion in it, then bin it...

just put it in a bag and bin it.

Or just bin it... No one's gonna root through your trash...

• Supporters

No one's gonna root through your trash...

You'd be surprised. Waste recycling facilities actually hand sort a lot of what you throw away. Which is why you should ALWAYS shred your personal documents before you chuck them in your bin.

As others have said, a good smack or two with a lump hammer with almost certainly render it unusable, especially if it is made with zamak alloy, which it probably is. Failing that, you could just cut it with a hacksaw, although be aware that even uncocked, the spring might be under tension as it comes apart, so stick your airsoft mask on whilst doing that unless you fancy losing an eye or some teeth.

You'd be surprised. Waste recycling facilities actually hand sort a lot of what you throw away. Which is why you should ALWAYS shred your personal documents before you chuck them in your bin.

I don't throw my paperwork in the bin... It goes on a box and I get rid on "fire night" but still... I wouldn't be worried about throwing a rif in the bin... That's just me though.

Take it to next game nick, make sure everyone sees it and then go uber sneaky and get a couple of kills with it just for the ultimate in embarrassment for the poor individuals involved :)

• Supporters

I think donating it to a college film/theatre group is a great thing to do.

• Supporters

Ian, I wondered about it, gifting the RIF isn't a legal problem so perhaps it is the best idea. Although I also like the idea of using it for a single game for kudos kills first. We'll see what happens.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.