oil bb feeder after loading?

Richie Boyle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

the instruction manual with the CO2 pistol says i should load the mag with a speed loader (not from the top) then spray a little oil on the first bb. i have never heard of this before although i suppose it would lubricate whatever the bb passes into

follow this or ignore it?

can't say anything about GBB magazines. but oiling AEG mags is a very bad idea, despite many manuals says that you should.

quoting a mail from a known retailer:

most gun instructions suggest putting silicone oil into the mag well and feed chamber. We have found that directly oiling this component reduces any hop affect created by the hop rubber. Also this can cause long term damage to the hop rubber.

it's also known to attract dirt.

• 1 month later...
  • Supporters

I have a bag of oily BB's* which I use to fill new mags, along with a single drop of silicone oil onto the follower. This is not enough oil to make subsequent BB's oily, but i have found it makes the spring work better and allows midcaps to be filled to close to their advertised maximum. I don't fire the BB's which went in with the oil and, no doubt, when i release them they take some of the oil added back out with them. So far I have not noticed this causing any hop related problems. Plus 1 for silicone oil in a dropper bottle not an aerosol...

*They're just BB's which have been in mags with a drop of oil, as opposed to fresh ones, not actually dripping with oil.

I saw someone else do the same thing as ian gere (might even have been him) and I now do the same, I've noticed it helps the spring and the bb's, I put a couple of drops in the mag and use the cleaning rod to push the spring down

That's why larger springs are qeunched in oil, the metal soaks up the oil and the surface becomes more rust resistant and the surface is more flexible

• Supporters

Sounds like a slight difference of opinion but a tiny tiny tiny drop of silicone may not be unwise on a brand new mag

Ian's idea of keeping old bb's just for "breaking or running in" new mags sounds a good one to me

fill & empty mags a few times back into bag/box/bucket - never in gun/hopup

This should help spring & maybe after a little while the mag internals should be smoother loading

(possible once "run-in" the mag/plastic will be free from any minor burr/defect smooth surface etc...)

But like many things there is a very very very fine line from smooth running & oily bb's/hopup

perhaps run in just one mag with say 30 "lightly oiled" bb's - very very liightly

then empty out & refill with another 30 dry ones to help remove excess

now you got 60 very light bb's for prep mags so to speak

OR - wtf see if they feed ok is maybe best option though many places say about light oil

but like I said - think there is a risk people go too mad thinking everything must be lubed up

but bb's n hopup is deffo one area you want dry n clean

• Supporters

Actually I think that springs are oil quenched because oil has a higher boiling point than water so that when the metal goes in, it takes longer for vapour to form, which does not transmit heat well, between the metal and oil - so more of the heat is extracted from the hot metal in the initial milliseconds of quenching, which is important for hardening.

Edit to add: although yeah, oil does get into the interstices between metal crystals on the surface, which definitely does prevent corrosion, but i'm not sure it has any mechanical effect.

• Supporters

All I can say is that in our house we have a few mags from guns we bought

but best mags are dytac M4's that had a tiny squirt of dare I say it:

WD40

this was used in the past and since have well been run through - jeez they have had some bb's through them

(so I really doubt if there could be any of that left in any of them - trigger happy doesn't cover my playstyle at times)

I don't say WD ya mags like I did but these are well run-in but feed flawless in every gun we use them in

some G&G & ICS ones are never as good as our old faithfuls - but then some mags work in some guns

and some suck in others we found - but these are run-in to say the least

some mags might be fine "as is" - hence I say just try them first - see if the bb's load/feed smoothly when you start

to fill - rising in mag ok and not snagging - give them a go as is n see before you go nutz with any form of lube

(always a risk of going ott with any lube so as saying goes:)

If it ain't broke - don't try to fix it, so try try them as they are first

• Supporters

I suspect JCheese nailed it with CO2 gun might need a bit of oil through it to prevent rubber perishing.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.