Camo on my SVD

ronin677

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

No point on ghillie netting op\n the stock since your arm will be covering it! It'll just be there to snag on everything and annoy you.

Right now that's Ideal for good concealment and ergonomics. Controls are free,mag is free while the big pointy bits are all obscured. Ian_Gere will be better on SVD camo,I never bothered to add camo to my gun since I move around too much.

• Supporters

Hi - i added an 'o' to your title in line with our policy on unambiguous, informative, bla de bla...

Svetlana on her last outing:

10462621_335767279914489_476552165006282

I've since added a buttstock pouch with 8 7.62x54R inert rounds and a couple more bits of raffia:

IMAG0175.jpg

IMAG0172.jpg

IMAG0180.jpg

IMAG0182.jpg

I plan on taking all the camouflage off and wrapping her from gas block to a little way in front of the muzzle of the suppressor in chicken wire, then putting the camo back on - the plan is to be able to make an uneven shape without adding any significant weight, but no doubt it will not be as simple as that. I expect I'll get around to adding some stuff to the sling when i finally get round to finishing my ghillie suit.

I came to the conclusion that, even with other stuff around it, scrim alone is not good enough when I examined this photo:

10253894_311163249041559_281618351291187

...I had assumed that at distance it would be like digital camouflage patterns.

That you wouldn't be able to see the straight lines - but that isn't really the issue - you just don't get anything in nature with regular perforations like that, so although it's great as a base, it needs something stringy around it. Man made 'raffia' (rayon) is pretty good i think - you can get it with gradations of colour and being man made fibre, it doesn't absorb moisture. I think she needs a bit more on the left hand side, but i'll leave it until i do the chicken wire mod. If you compare the top pic to how she is now, you can see i've cut the leaf shape bits of scrim i had hanging down under the forward end into irregular strips - i think this is probably better.

You can get the raffia from amazon. Another trick i've used is to cut the scrim wrap into irregular angled bits and then roughly stitch them back together, so that when it's wrapped around the gun with the seams facing out, it forms irregular ridges. The thin stringy stuff is a commercial ghillie wrap, probably similar to yours but with black also, which i got from fleabay - one of those Chinese sellers like sportscorner / they tend to have a whole bunch they put up ending a few hours apart. People usually bid them up to about £6-7 but if you copy the item name and paste it into an ebay.com search you'll be bidding against yanks so the price will be lower. That's a good tip for things like scope mount rings and rails, etc too.

I think yours looks pretty good except for the scope - like i said about mine, regular dots are not something you see in woodlands. Yeah, putting loads of stuff on can interfere with your view down the scope, but I just brush it out of the way when I set up for a shot. I dunno about you but, as much as i'd like to be caught on video doing it, "quickscoping" imo is purely for video games. Airsoft sniping is about setting up to use your additional range against unsuspecting targets - camouflage is almost always more important than being able to take quick reaction shots, but i'm still learning...

"I think yours looks pretty good except for the scope - like i said about mine, regular dots are not something you see in woodlands. Yeah, putting loads of stuff on can interfere with your view down the scope, but I just brush it out of the way when I set up for a shot. I dunno about you but, as much as i'd like to be caught on video doing it, "quickscoping" imo is purely for video games. Airsoft sniping is about setting up to use your additional range against unsuspecting targets - camouflage is almost always more important than being able to take quick reaction shots, but i'm still learning..."

I agree with the scrim, I will probably add jute thread to that also. I like your use of military grade cam netting. I've never been a big fan but I might change my mind after seeing yours. I also like that you have given your gat a name, Svetlana is great, what does it mean?

Hi - i added an 'o' to your title in line with our policy on unambiguous, informative, bla de bla...

hehe sorry, its been so long since I used the word Camo

• Supporters

I agree with the scrim, I will probably add jute thread to that also. I like your use of military grade cam netting. I've never been a big fan but I might change my mind after seeing yours. I also like that you have given your gat a name, Svetlana is great, what does it mean?

Yeah, I just used the camouflage off the netting, rather than wrap stuff around her which would have a tendency to get caught up on my gear and undergrowth. I cut it into strips mainly without loops, for the same reasons as dispensing with the net, and with angles so that when it hangs its centre of gravity makes it bunch into random shapes, rather than just 2D flat strips with wiggly edges.

Svetlana is a common Slavic female name, meaning "light", "clean" or "holy". It's taken from the word photine meaning light and St. Phontine was an early saint.

~ http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com

It was also Joseph Stalin's daughter's name. But for me the choice was simple: it's Russian beginning with SV(D)... All my rifles have female names, and my pistols male ones.

Svetlana and Gretal... not a huge fan of Russian womens names. not the ones I've heard anyway^^

Haha mine is named in German. My wife is German so it seemed appropriate. I was going to use a Syrian name as my best friend she is Syrian but my wife wasn't impressed lol

It was also Joseph Stalin's daughter's name. But for me the choice was simple: it's Russian beginning with SV(D)... All my rifles have female names, and my pistols male ones

Sounds horrible to me. might just be that I'm a Swedish native speaker.. svet-->sweat.

...could be made even worse if you tried to translate "lana" and realised if it means anything, it would mean to participate in a "LAN-Party" ^^

Haha mine is named in German. My wife is German so it seemed appropriate. I was going to use a Syrian name as my best friend she is Syrian but my wife wasn't impressed lol

Whoops! Well the Swedish version "Greta" isn't very modern.. just doesn't sound very feminine to me.

• Supporters

A sweaty LAN party -> sounds about right! When i was @uni we used to network a whole mass of computers through 2 PC's we had as the house net server and print server (there was Cat 5 cable running all over the house loose on the floor and dangling down the stairwell) and we used to play Unreal Tournament with about 8 participants - i'm not really a gamer tbh, but there's something about that game that brings out the worst in me, and others it seems, because we'd all be mega tense yelling abuse at each other through open doors, swigging far too much caffeine, and yeah, sweating like rapists!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.