Best sniper?

team flex

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have a question for you all, my mate loves airsoft and goes every week. He now wants to get into sniping.

He is looking at the g spec, I told him tm do the best snipers, but he also needs a scope. He has 250 quid to spend all together... Please recommend thanks

More money needs to be saved.

TM Gspec is good but You need to replace a lot of parts for full reliability,even more since TM started crimping cylinder heads.

JG BAR 10 is a great bet,cheap and fully compatible.

A&K M24 has probably the best stock internals of every mass produced sniper rifle in airsoft but compatibility is spotty(However that can be sorted with some measuring since there is no real source for all of it)

WELL L96 V3 is hit or miss quality wise but a good upgrade platform

That's a barebones rundown. On the A&K m24 I'm trying to get some things sorted with a mate of mine in Ukraine who owns one so we can get dimension of internal parts to see what fits what.

sniper rifles again (promised myself after seeing that post I would never make a mistake like that - -_- )

Ok so we have established he will spend on items that need replacing.

so cylinder heads will need replacing after one or two games? He will also be cashing out and upgrading. Would you say the A&K is better OOTB than the G SPEC. Also, scopes? any ideas on them? i have no knowledge and so can't help him at all in this area

so I am on the phone to him and he found a a desert vsr 10 for £165. he now needs an optic and are there any things that will drastically increase performance? if so what, and what spring should he get?

sniper rifles again (promised myself after seeing that post I would never make a mistake like that - -_- )

Ok so we have established he will spend on items that need replacing.

so cylinder heads will need replacing after one or two games? He will also be cashing out and upgrading. Would you say the A&K is better OOTB than the G SPEC. Also, scopes? any ideas on them? i have no knowledge and so can't help him at all in this area

For the VSR Gspec or Pro you will need to replace the piston and sears. Replace those parts will a steel catch piston and a steel sear set. This will give you great reliability ~M120 spring. To do this you will need a new cylinder and cylinder head since marui have started crimping them meaning they will be destroyed if removed.

The gun will last decently stock,my sears and piston shit themselves at ~10,000 rounds but I think mine MAY have been a lemon,but that said the 45* mech design is already not great for high power let alone pot metal sears and a plastic piston.

Another option is to move to a 90* degree system which will be 100% reliable over an M150. Pricey option but you can save money by buying small custom made triggers like the S trigger. You can even use a lathe to get the stock piston to a 90* catch,a few people on AirsoftSniperForum have done this and have been running them on powerful springs with no failure.

A&K M24 comes with a steel Cylinder,Aluminium piston,90* trigger system with steel sears. Compatibility-Trigger most likely VSR and piston/cylinder may be VSR or APS Type 96. Gun is a PITA to take apart due to loctite spam. Otherwise cylinder has a great air seal and the gun has amazing stock reliability. Downside is the hop up unit and mounting blok is different but the hop up takes VSR internals(Hop up arm,feed system,rubber,barrel,etc...)

Scopes- Any 3-9x40 or less even,4x is grand most of the time will do. Most are made by the same few Chinese OEMs. I;ve had great luck with ASG strike scopes

so I am on the phone to him and he found a a desert vsr 10 for £165. he now needs an optic and are there any things that will drastically increase performance? if so what, and what spring should he get?

What brand is it? If it';s a WELL stay the fuck away unless you like unnecessary stress and a Machine shop. JG And TM are the best safe options for VSRs.

He's hurrying on a fair bit with all this. Better to do some research on what parts he will need to get the most for his money.

For most airsoft sniping you don't need much more that 3x or 4x magnification, otherwise your field of view drops dramatically, although up to 9x may be useful if you want to get a good look at someone hiding out in woodland (but revert back to 3x to shoot him/her).

Something with a 40mm or bigger objective lens will give a fairly bright sight picture, but does open up the possibility of getting a bb hitting the lens. And bigger objective means bigger price. Don't restrict yourself to airsoft retailers, as some of the airgun retailers do decent Tasco scopes for not a vast amount of money. Otherwise look on Ehobbyasia or similar to see what they have on offer.

No need to spend £100 on a scope. I'd recommend the Nikko Sterling 3-9x40 AO IR scope (AO meaning adjustable objective, you can focus much better rather than just a set distance so it's very useful. IR - Illuminated Reticle) Under £50 from Uttings.co.uk, but you'll need to buy 20mm scope rings for it too.

Just look at their Mountmaster range anyway, lots of nice choices there.

A&K Dragunov SVD can be had for 120 quid from many places, it's two toned green and black if you are non UKARA and all black if you are, but it actually looks okay in two tone anyway:

Two tone version:

http://www.geniestuff.co.uk/dragunov-airsoft-sniper-rifle.htm

Black version:

http://www.sofmilitary.co.uk/SearchResults.aspx?s=SVD&cat=0

The A&K version is a very impressive replica of the SVD. It weighs somewhat less than a real SVD, but it is still heavy at just over 2.6kg (which is about 2/3rds of the weight of a real SVD. This means either a bipod or a tree strap is not a bad idea, as holding something that heavy on target for a while without support will result in muscle shake. Being all-metal construction including the magazine, apart from the polymer funiture (which real SVDs have these days anyway) the A&K version is built like a tank. It's actually very accurate with the iron sights, and does have them properly marked too, with settings up to 12, unlike the AK47/74 which has a similar-looking backsight, but which is marked to 8. It is very powerful straight out of the box, in fact, you might even have to downgrade the spring in the thing if your airsoft chronos stuff and won't let you use stuff which chronos over 500fps, because a lot of A&K SVDs produce around that straight out of the box (i.e. expect at least 450fps and probably a lot more). Naturally, you'd want a scope for something like that, and it will take a real PSO-1, but since they are pricey, a knock off airsoft-specific one will probably be more sensible (and cheaper) since you're not really going to be taking down targets at 1200 metres like you could with a real SVD, although you can expect to hit people 450 feet away with the A&K after some practice and tweaking to the internals, which is just as well since you'll be lucky to get four or five aimed shots off in a minute, although in fact, the Russian army only actually expect a soldier with an SVD to get two hits in a minute. So make sure you also budget for an MP5 or something for when and if they close you down.

Various bits and pieces for it if you don't want to use it 'stock'...

Decent knock off copy of an SVD PSO-1 (V) scope for just under fifty quid (4x26 magnification, electronic illuminated red target reticule, nitrogen filled, etc) can be found here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/270951265654?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

50 round spare mag for it can be found here for fifteen quid:

http://www.actionhobbies.co.uk/A-K-Magazine-For-Spring-SVD-Dragunov-50rd_AUSUE.aspx

That comes to 185 quid, which is well under your budget. Although I'd recommend a decent pair of thin leather gloves too, as it is hard to cock it with bare hands, i.e. fighter pilot gloves such as these:

http://www.tacticalgeartrade.co.uk/airsoft-mid-arm-full-finger-tactical-flight-gloves-od.html

If you wanna tart the SVD up a bit, replacement furniture kits can be found here if you want a wooden stock (although it needs modifying to fit the A&K SVD):

http://www.airsoftworld.net/gun-accessories/furniture-kits

Upgraded internals can be found here:

http://airsoftpro.cz/eshop/index.php?cPath=93_204&osCsid=c9fa23ab9cda4240ba0f4a4082cee131

Semi-auto gas conversion kit for A&K SVD can be found here:

http://www.evike.com/products/37034/

Hope that helps

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.