Combat raider Upgrades & Batteries and charger....

Albiscuit

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey again...

I have just ordered a Combat Raider (finally) and am wondering:

A) If anyone recommends swapping any factory parts straight away for slightly better power/accuracy or general well being of the machine.

and

B) What sort of battery should I get? I see there are a few options and haver read arguments for both but am still undecided, what would you go for?

Cheers guys!!

• Supporters

Battery - 8.4 or 9.6 nimh or 7.4v lipo are your 3 main options with 9.9v life or 11.1 lipo if you wanna cane her

you got crane so need stick/nunchuk battery unless you change stock

so depends if you already got a charger or wanna go down lipo route just yet

your hop-up & tbb options - first off see how she fires out of box and run her in etc....

see what she chrono's at but really fire off a hundred shots in ya garden if possible to set her up n check groupings

if you got a couple mags already then you are pretty much set, I reckon

it is a £125 gun - a good one but just see how you go, they are all pretty decent out of box

but plenty options to look into later if needed

I'm not gonna go too mad but if you need I will measure battery space size/thickness in crane stock if really need to

• Supporters

*ahem* - {sound of well worn and scratched record starting to play}

Get out and use it, decide whether or not the gun is limiting your performance or if you are the limiting factor and then AND ONLY then start looking into performance or aesthetic enhancing modifications. Buying stuff now could well turn out to be a waste of time, effort and money.

{scratchy record noise - fade to black}

• Supporters

Bear in mind that 99% of aftermarket 'upgrades' are really just budget parts which probably aren't as good as the ones in the gun already.

If you end up finding that your gun has a significant deficiency in one field then you can address that, but if you do the standard newbie scattergun approach of chucking parts at a gun you'll end up with a gun that shoots WORSE than it did when you got it!

If you end up finding that your gun has a significant deficiency in one field then you can address that, but if you do the standard newbie scattergun approach of chucking parts at a gun you'll end up with a gun that shoots WORSE than it did when you got it!

Noted....

Only want to change parts that will address a known problem or greatly increase range/effectiveness etc..

I have used one of these guns and love it, so pretty sure I will keep it and be happy with it, kind of know the attachments I want so sorted on that, just wondered if it WAS worth tinkering with the insides or any know parts.

Still getting to grips with stuff so all this help is appreciated.

if you really want to up it, just don't touch the Gearbox (unless someone else is doing it), up the battery to a 9.9v LiFe/7.4v Lipo, and upgrade the barrel system / hop system. If you've got a friend who can tech your stuff thats when I would advise doing the other stuff, e.g rewiring to Deans, internal upgrades etc

• Supporters

Yeah, tinkering for tinkering's sake is probably a bad idea, but then again, if you plan on tech-ing your own gun/s in future, you have to start somewhere. Depending on how confident you feel about your ability to dismantle stuff and re-mantle it, maybe better to wait until you have a back up before doing something which may need someone else to fix. That said I didn't - I only skirmished my CM.028U once before I had her in bits - it has to be said however that I did fuck her up too, although it took a few more fiddling sessions than the first - but until recently she has never been as good as she was straight out of the box, which is particularly galling because she was excellent!

The hop unit in wombat machines has a good rep and the green G&G rubber is above average. However I'd say that any AEG hop unit which uses a plain cylinder shaped nub will be improved for accuracy by an H-nub. It's a simple thing to fit, so long as you do it on a bench with enough space, or over carpet with a short shag/lino/tiles - because if you drop either of the nubs into deep carpet, or a pile of crap in a workshop, etc., you may not see it again.

If you do think of fitting a TBB, bear in mind that a 363x6.03mm TBB will increase your FPS with 0.2s by about 25, compared to a 363x6.08mm stock barrel, so you may find that if your local site limit is 350, you have to downgrade the spring - which is a whole different cupboard of monkeys. I would suggest going down to an Element M95 rather than the typical M90 (which would lose you everything you gained, and maybe a bit more, from the TBB).

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.