New to airsoft, need advice.

JoeHambley

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey, so i'm new to airsofting, and i need some general advice mainly about the guns themselves, brands, other general stuff. So, i guess my main question is regarding the brands, so I've seen loads of other topics like this and most of them are mentioning brands like G&G, Tokyo Marui, KWA and i think its ICS, which i see tossed around everywhere as the best, and the gun being tossed around is always some sort of variant of M4, its just i really don't like the look of the M4, so I've been looking on the official sites and dealers at all the types of guns that these brands make, i just cant find one i like the look of, there's a few guns I've seen that i really like the look of, one of them is the Kings Arms AEG FAL, also the ARES AEG L1A1 SLR, both pretty much the same and finally the AGM/ASG MP44, ill link them all below just to save you guys some time, i really like the battle rifles and the larger/longer assault rifles, i also like guns like the G3, AK's, Type 89 and some SG variants.

However, I've watched some videos of the MP44, and most of the reviewers generally really really like it, i really like the realism of it, metal and wood, and the weight ect, but I've read some bad things about AGM and the MP44, mainly that its really inaccurate, just that in general, the brand isn't 'terrible' but its not great either, so just go for a good brand like the ones i listed above, so firstly can somebody give me their opinion on this gun because its probably my favorite gun out of the lot, and id love to buy one, also, are AGM and ASG different brands, whats the difference, i cant seem to find this out, there's like a £40 price difference but i cant tell one from the other.

Secondly, i cant seem to find any information on Kings Arms, whether they're a good make, or should i steer clear of the KA FAL, ARES i've generally read good things about, saying that they make very nice detailed guns, but very little again on the quality of the guns themselves. what do you guys think of these two guns and brands.

So to summarize, i just need some general advice about these brands and guns, if anybody has any recommendations of good guns similar to these please say, i think if the general consensus is that these brands/guns aren't the best, i might just go and buy an AK variant from one of the recommended brands since they're a lot more common, but again, i'd love it if you guys came back and said that they're all good, take your pick. Finally i really like the historical guns like the M1 Garand, but i'm assuming for a newer player, a semi auto rifle sorta gun isn't going to be recommended. Also just seen a few full auto M14's i like guns like them too, i just assumed they were all semi auto, any full auto battle rifle/ marksman rifle is good, anything like these.

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268&products_id=2067

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268&products_id=4319

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268&products_id=7319

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/product_info.php?cPath=268&products_id=6777

Sorry for such a long winded post, I've probably repeated myself over and over, but i'm sure you'll get the general idea, i look forward to your replies and thanks in advance :)

Joe

• Supporters

Problem with the Fals is that they're hard to find. The king arms one is alright, though I'm not sure about Ares as they're reputation is pretty poor.

AGM Mp44 looks to be a pretty decent gun from the reviews and feedback I've seen, but again they're quite hard to get a hold of.

What's your budget?

Check out ww2airsoft.org.uk

If you like the Garand, then why not? It's semi auto but that just stops you from spraying ammo everywhere. I would start with a sub machine gun 1st though. The MP44 is probably quite good. The best cheapish WW2 weapon atm in terms of performance is the ASG/AGM Sten Mk2.

ASG is a distributor not a manufacturer so ASG and AGM are essentially the same.

Thanks for the replies, in terms of budget Monty, i think my max would be around £350, i'm happy to spend more rather than less to get one i like and that isnt just going to be low quality and break, and of course that is flexible, id rather say 350 is my max but save up a little longer for a say 370-380 one, if its worth the saving and extra cost, also, about the MP44, i was reading something to do with tight-bore barrels, i was just wondering how in worked in terms of getting one to improve the accuracy of the mp44. How come they're hard to get a hold of, cant you just shop around on different sites and if you cant find one, put down an order for an out of stock gun, and have the site order one from the manufacturer? and Russe, i see your point about spraying ammo, and i really think id enjoy owning something like a wooden/metal Garand since im really into history and id love to have something that was realistic, but i was just thinking that it might be a bad starting point, not in terms of ammo, just being more difficult to use, i just thought that having a full auto sort of gun would help someone inexperienced with shooting and the wars, were as like you recommended, a sub machine gun might be really easy to get used to playing with, why would you recommend a sub machine gun though, any specific reasons?

If you like old guns, then there are 2 types: Sub Machine guns and Rifles. Rifles are bolt action or semi auto. The MP44 is the 1st assault rifle so it is an exception. In airsoft, there is little real difference between a sub machine gun and an assault rifle.

If you are wanting a Garand but want to start with something easier to use, a sub machinegun means that you can get the outfit to go with the Garand and the submachinegun will fit in with that outfit.

I'm assuming you've used semi auto rifles then, from your experience how would you say a beginner would find one compared to something like like a sub machine gun, I'm not saying necessarily that id find a garand hard to use, I've never used a semi auto gun, just i would have thought at a guess id be at a bit of a disadvantage to somebody with full auto, what do you think?

It's no problem staying in semi auto. I have a Sten and a Lee Enfield. The Lee enfield is bolt action so, one step further than just semi, the Sten I use a gadget called a mosfet that allows me to program the max burst, so I often use it in semi only. It would probably be a good thing if players were forced to start with a semi only gun, it would teach them to use the sights and not spray and pray :D

I would go as far as to say that if I gave 2 beginners a semi auto only gun and a full auto and semi gun, the one locked to semi auto would probably end up doing better. Sometimes full auto is helpful but most people seem to use it instead of aiming.

The other reason to start with a sub machine gun is rifles are long and heavy, rifles made out of steel and wood are long and really heavy. You will have to carry it all day. A steel and wood sub machine gun is still a lot heavier than a plastic M4 but it's short so still easy to use when you're getting tired.

Well i think ill give a semi auto gun a real consideration then, and have a look at some nice sub machine guns, just a question regarding semi auto rifles though, so obviously an M1 Garand is a long gun, but do you think i could also consider some guns like the SVD scope-less as a rifle or do you think they'd be too big?

Why cant I have your budget and get all the World War Two stuff!!!!!!!!! Rraaggggeeeeeeeeee

G&G combat machine you can have semi auto, full auto. But with a 350 budget then look up or down not this comment...

Just a question regarding that MP44, i've been watching some videos by the same guy at 150ft of different guns and the mp44 he uses is way way less accurate than some of the other guns he uses such as the G&G F2000, how much can customizing certain parts affect the accuracy, also, if a field has an fps limit of 350 MAX, but you have a gun with say 430 FPS, can you effectively use heavier BB's to reduce the FPS of the gun and bring it down to say 350, or are the limits tested with the same bb's each time?

All guns are chronoed on .2 BB's so if you are shooting 430FPS on .2 then you wont be allowed to use it. Most sites in the UK have 350 as the limit for AEGs. Not wanting to be rude mate, but there are lots of threads and stickies on this forum about this stuff, go read some of them will probably answer your questions in no time :)

Home from work now so can be a bit more thorough.

FN FAL/SLR: These are extremely hard to get hold of. I'm not even sure anyone is making them anymore.

G3's: Plenty of these on taiwangun.com made by JG. JG are generally well regarded.

AK's and SVD's: Ask Ian Gere but for AK's there are certain good cyma models that are recommended and I can't remember which.

MP44: Ask on ww2airsoft.org.uk, someone will have one and may have modified it.

M14's: Generally these are good, never heard of a bad M14

Garand: Very new on the market, again ask on ww2airsoft.org.uk, someone will have one. I would guess however that it's essentially an M14 in a slightly different body (people use to make airsoft Garands out of M14's)

I would suggest that you consider WW2 airsoft if these are the types of guns that appeal. The games are a much more immersive experience and the outfits are awesome fun to put together. Theres usually a WW2 game somewhere in the UK about once a month. Theres a 2 day D Day based one coming up in November, which should be epic.

I believe I recommended the Sten, heres why. This video is not actually a sten but it is an ASG Sten Mk2 with some external modification:

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.