Fancy an airsoft holiday in the States?

Guest pierce09

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Guest pierce09

For those thinking this would be a good idea, here's a 3 day event held by a company called Operation Lions Claw Military Simulation Series out of California. They run events all over the US. This is a couple of videos from an event at a new location they tried out. It's an old paper mill on the banks of the Willamette river in Oregon City.

They are hoping to go back to this AO next year.

First video is a 360 interactive video. click 'play' then scroll around as the video plays to see the full 360.

http://360labs.net/video/airsoft-op-red-storm

This is a video I made using mine and and a teammate's GoPros.

There are about 20 events a year run by OLCMSS and they are attended by guests such as Col Danny McKnight and 1Sgt Matt Eversmann of Black Hawk Down fame.

If you are ever over my neck of the woods (desert mainly), feel free to message in advance and I'm sure we can get you running and gunning the other side of the world!!

holy f*ck that looks awesome. Would love to go to america again just for an airsoft event, wish we had something like this in the UK (same kind of landscape, none where I live)...

all the things I could do with money.

Guest pierce09

I loved this AO so much. I also feel it ruin airsoft at my local field for me too!

I served in Bosnia years and years ago and this place reminded me of the Metal Factory in Banja Luka. Now that is a place that would make an amazing AO.

I live in Las Vegas so if any peeps are coming here on holiday, I'm more than happy to answer any questions on the place

Agreed with Flex, it'd be amazing to come play airsoft in the US.

My mates and I definitely will do some kind of road trip one day and no doubt I will try to make it to a game and buy a gun / lots of tactical gear whilst I'm there! If I could get some stuff for half the price it is here or not have to pay like $50 shipping and a load of import charges and tax that would be brilliant.

Don't think I could do a holiday just for airsoft though. Especially all the way to America.

Airsoft Mr B, you'd still have to pay import duty at customs unfortunately, as well as informing the airline in advance you want to carry a rif, possibly paying for excess luggage weight , as well as proving your defence to customs, but yeah you'd save on shipping.

Since US fps levels can be much higher (up to 500fps on full auto) I'm not sure I'd go for Airsoft, but hell I'd love to go to a real steel shooting experience!

Airsoft Mr B, you'd still have to pay import duty at customs unfortunately, as well as informing the airline in advance you want to carry a rif, possibly paying for excess luggage weight , as well as proving your defence to customs, but yeah you'd save on shipping.

Since US fps levels can be much higher (up to 500fps on full auto) I'm not sure I'd go for Airsoft, but hell I'd love to go to a real steel shooting experience!

some sites are lower, but 500 fps is madness. There are loads of videos of people getting shot point blank with that stuff, not nice. Overall, it could work out to be cheaper. £400 for a gun that costs $400 but then + 25 percent etc, I reckon it would be a bit cheaper, but there are loads of guns in america that are hard to find over there.

I have been seriously looking into going on an OLMSS event for the past 6 months or so, only trouble is a lot of their AO are only open to US citizens as they take place on US military bases. If I do make it out I will shout you up :)

Guest pierce09

I've not come across many that do 500fps (unless a sniper rifle) in any fields/AOs i've been to. the standard is pretty much set by Lion Claws and at 366fps or lower for all AEGs/GBBRs/P* etc with a minimum engagement distance of about 10ft.

I've not come across many that do 500fps (unless a sniper rifle) in any fields/AOs i've been to. the standard is pretty much set by Lion Claws and at 366fps or lower for all AEGs/GBBRs/P* etc with a minimum engagement distance of about 10ft.

If that's the case then I stand corrected, though 500fps for AEGs was mentioned in a US site review a couple or more years ago in AI Mag (iirc).

If that's the case then I stand corrected, though 500fps for AEGs was mentioned in a US site review a couple or more years ago in AI Mag (iirc).

IK a few do 400 fps I think. around that sort of level, but I wouldn't want to be playing airsoft with 500 fps aegs lol

Guest pierce09

IK a few do 400 fps I think. around that sort of level, but I wouldn't want to be playing airsoft with 500 fps aegs lol

I agree, i wouldn't want a point blank hit at 500 fps on a thigh or knuckle!

i've seen mainly (on the west coast) 366fps (so that the guns are compatible with LC events) on field and cqb and up to 400 on field games in Arizona and California.

Is there a standard in the UK for FPS or is it down to fields' discretion?

Guest pierce09

Not many fields recognise a DMR here so there isn't a separate fps for them.

most of my guns will be ok for UK fields then. That's good to know

• Supporters

yep, 328 for cqb

field is generally 350, some do 370

DMR is 400-450 mostly 450

and bolt action/spring is 500.

:)

That's not standardised, my local site operators run a woodland site and a CQB site with the same fps limits; 368fps for full auto and sidearms, 500fps for both DMRs and bolt actions.

Everywhere else I've played has been 350 for CQB, never actually encountered a 1j limit anywhere before.

I've also heard from some people that there are sites that allow bolt actions up to 550fps.

But the basic point I was making is that fps restrictions aren't standardised.

• Supporters

It's rare anyone is above 350 because all the other sites around the area have a lower limit.

I think it's 350 with a max variance of 5%, which is 17.5, so they just call it 18, hence 368. I've never really noticed much of a difference playing there compared to anywhere else tbh.

That's not standardised, my local site operators run a woodland site and a CQB site with the same fps limits; 368fps for full auto and sidearms, 500fps for both DMRs and bolt actions.

Everywhere else I've played has been 350 for CQB, never actually encountered a 1j limit anywhere before.

I've also heard from some people that there are sites that allow bolt actions up to 550fps.

But the basic point I was making is that fps restrictions aren't standardised.

sorry meant to say there are no specifics :)

• 4 months later...
Guest pierce09

Just signed up for a Milsim West 3 day event. This should be good. Managed to get in virtually free due to Enola Gaye sponsorship thankfully.

https://www.facebook.com/events/987340164614990/

Link to their previous event vids.

And as a side note, a friend is helping run this game on the East coast. I'm gutted I can't attend, a decommissioned nuclear facility? Hell yes!!!

http://www.msato.org/

• Supporters

Me and the rest of the Cobalt guys have kinda made it our mission to get to a MSW game sometime in 2015-16, should be good to see how the yanks do it compared to Stirling and Tier1 over here. Will require a fair amount of planning getting a load of guns onto planes and a load of gen3 night vision and various other ITAR shit into and out of the US :)

Unless you are a US citizen best look for a non military base milsim then.

From what I hear on a lot of the US podcasts, Lion Claws is now somewhat over rated. Look at Black sheep or AMS (American Mil Sim).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pierce09

I've booked MilsimWest for Feb 20-22, an annual Lion Pride one day event on 8th Mar and an American Milsim in April in New Mexico so far. the Lion Pride event is for our new team members to break them into milsim slowly.

As for looking at one, let me know if you find a MSW event and book to come. I'll help any way I can. I'm looking forward to the weekend although, I'm now a section leader after telling myself I just wanted to go and enjoy it with no responsibility!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.