Jobs in the airsoft industry?

AK47frizzle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So, i've been thinking for a while, "what do i really wanna do?"

Bin man?

Janitor?

Floor sweeper?

hmmm possib......... hell naw.

Atm, i'm looking at the engineering side of things, but do i really wanna do that? Sure, i love tweaking with electronic sh*t to make it bow down to my glorious, smelly blue cheese feet, but a lot of the time, it's quite dull and boring when i'm doing that crap in school, messing with random transistors, capacitors, resistors etc, etc, etc.

For a while, i thought about locking up dose baddehs by being an mother fudging armed polis man wif ma gluck 17 an' wavin' it abooooooot like, "fook yeahh, tis da sownd ov da polis, WOOP WOOP"

But,

Do i really wanna risk riots, fights and even death? I'm questioning a lot of things now.

The way i see it, i need to make myself "useful", that contributes towards helping others. Being a polis man is defo useful, but there are a lot of risks. Being an engineer.... is also useful but... i can imagine (dragons) it getting boring as fud.

I also do art, currently working on photorealism. Yes i enjoy art.... but.... do i really wanna spend time being isolated everyday, just drawing my hand off? And do i even get a lot money from that?

I'm still thinking about my options, airsoft could be one of them. Defo won't be dat fat man manufacturing them but designing them, maybe the future G&G gen 10s or dem next gen Tm recoils that shake yer jaw bone off, or maybe, my own manufacturing company.

Do I really wanna be shooting plastic pellets everyday at fat men just to see the wibble wobble on their fat, boisterous bellies? Atm, yes, i can see it.

What do you guys think about those jobs in the airsoft industry? Salary and enjoyment wise?

Wibble Wobble.

• Supporters

I've always held the belief that letting hobbies become jobs isn't a particularly good idea but that's purely my own opinion and it's not my place to criticise other for doing so.

In the UK unless you're running a site or a shop there's very little opportunity. You'd have to look abroad in Asia where language barriers would be the first hurdle. After that getting into the job positions is something I don't think would be all that easy, these companies are small in the grand scheme of things but won't just employ anyone. No idea about pay rates, can't the imagine they are particularly note worthy unless you're high up in the companies.

If you want to design airsoft weapons you will need to move to the far east.

• Supporters

You can try to diversify and approach the industry from multiple angles, I'm slowly but surely growing my YouTube channel to the point where it's profitable. I'm no where near there yet, but I'm fairly convinced that it will at least start to pay for itself sooner or later and the bigger the channel gets, the faster it picks up.

Come 50k subs it ought to be fairly easy money, and that will come with its own rewards and opportunities. Getting noticed by shops, advertising deals, free kit to review etc etc.

You can also charge people for tech services, and it's not impossible to make money by buying damaged guns, fixing them up and selling them on for a profit, you just need to get good at picking the right items to go for.

There's a market for custom guns built to order as well, if you've got the skills to make guns that don't exist in airsoft out of guns that do... *Rubs fingers together*

I know I'd pay a lot for a GBB SVU-AS ;)

if your good with electronics then why not start a electronics repair business in your area, i know a friend who did this whilst serving in the army and turned over 40k in his first year!!! people are always breaking shit and if your know what your doing its easy to figure out a repair.

I would say that a job in the airsoft world would be highly unlikely... As has been said, most manufacturers are in the east. Which basically leaves you in a minimum wage job selling guns and chatting crap to strangers... Which is possible... But how many shops really exist?

Also worth noting is that engineering is far from boring... Electrical might not be type thing, but there's many, many types of engineering, doing many various things... Engineers don't fix things... They create things. If the sky people say their sending our an engineer, or a coffee machine has a sign on it saying "broken, awaiting engineer"... Then laugh at them both... And don't trick yourself into thinking "engineering isn't for me" I don't want to get my hands dirty all day...

As a little aside... At uni, I want learning how to fix a photocopier... I was designing engine components...

Flow.png

dont even think about it get your self into a good profession and don't end up in the mess i am in by leaving college early (to join the navy in my case). engineering is not boring or do you think those super powerful v8s that give you goose bumps just design them selves.

If it were me (and I have no experience whatsoever, just my opinion) I would leave airsoft as a hobby. I am looking into going into engineering ( a bit early yet mind) and I don't think airsoft would be the right path, there are big companies that dominate and although everywhere you go there are big companies, in this case you would need a lot of money to fund your projects in terms of guns, making them and the parts involved would cost a lot in machinery and it wouldn't be worth it IMO.

That being said, its your life to live and if you really do want to do it, go ahead. At the end of the day, make a practical choice that you believe is the best choice.

If i learn enough, and build up a good reputation later on (a few years from now) perhaps when I am at uni I may look at the prospect of being a tech, would be quite fun IMO

• Supporters

Engineering covers such an enormous range of diverse subjects that there's bound to be some part of it you'll find interesting. I went from electronics hardware to industrial automation. All engineering (I've since gone to the dark side and become a salesman but that's a different story).

As a nation we need MORE engineers. Not maintenance techs - engineers. Get qualified, get a professional certification in your chosen field and get out there.

I would say that a job in the airsoft world would be highly unlikely... As has been said, most manufacturers are in the east. Which basically leaves you in a minimum wage job selling guns and chatting crap to strangers... Which is possible... But how many shops really exist?

Also worth noting is that engineering is far from boring... Electrical might not be type thing, but there's many, many types of engineering, doing many various things... Engineers don't fix things... They create things. If the sky people say their sending our an engineer, or a coffee machine has a sign on it saying "broken, awaiting engineer"... Then laugh at them both... And don't trick yourself into thinking "engineering isn't for me" I don't want to get my hands dirty all day...

As a little aside... At uni, I want learning how to fix a photocopier... I was designing engine components... Flow.png

Is that your work!?

In a word, yes... Just a quick flow comparison on carb inlet trumpets I did a couple of years ago... It was the only picture I had on photobucket at short notice...

Bloody hell, look damn well complicated! You must be a very clever lad! :D

I can tie my in laces and everything... ;)

How? Teach me!!! I'm stuck with velcro and little balls of fluff keeping getting in between the teeth rendering them uselesss!!!!!!!!

99.999% rounds/cleaning, 0.0001% missiles, torpedos, bombs.

And I was a back-afty too!

I was #1 sonar maintainer on the V-Boats, I had minions for cleaning stuff but Captain's Rounds always sucked, as did work up and duties and scran, and all VIPs and all Coxswains lol :D

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.