TM FN 5-7

THE FNG
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Tokyo Marui - Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal 'Five-seveN' (5-7)

Having owned one of these for 8 months or so, I thought I'd give a review.

I have been asked many times on both forums and by players at game sites about this pistol.

Here we go...

Appearance, Finish and Feel

If you are looking for something that is different and breaks the trend, then this is definitely a forerunner! It's design is sleek, lightweight and a nice alternative to the common Glock/Sig/M9/1911's.

Possibly the only flaw in this gun is that it is true to the real thing and is made up of plastics. Most of the weight of the gun comes from the hefty magazine, which when absent, makes the gun very light. The finish is nice and it doesn't look tacky and at first glance, it appears to be made from the same materials as any metal gbb pistol. Some like the heft and bulk from a fully metal sidearm, in which case the 5-7 will disappoint. Despite this, with the mag inserted, it has a nice weight to it and it is easy to maneuver.

Functionality and Ergonomics

FN Herstal went for ambidextrous versatility when designing this gun, which shows in its operation. The safety is the switch above the trigger, which is perfectly placed for those who have good trigger discipline. It is easy to flick using the trigger finger, yet is secure and sturdy enough not to accidentally switch from safe to firing mode. It features on both sides, so is lefty friendly. The slide release, however, is only featured on the left, which can be accessed using the right handed thumb. Unfortunately, lefties will struggle here whereas righties won't be phased as it is located directly above the thumb. The gun can, however, be power stroked with a full mag so it can be overlooked. The mag release only features on the left hand side, which makes left handed mag releases awkward as they are used with the thumb.

It's worth noting that if you use both hands to hold the gun, there won't be much of an issue anyway, but, say for example dual wielding or using only the left hand as the right is holding something else, a quick slide release would be awkward.

To summarise, if you are a lefty, you may have to get used to mag changes and releasing the slide, however for right handed users, the Gun is quite literally perfectly ergonomic and user friendly.

Shooting, Accuracy and Range

Recoil on the 5-7 is great. It is crisp and pretty loud for a plastic pistol. Puts a smile on your face! I can't give a completely accurate measurement however I know for a fact that the 5-7 can hit targets over 50 metres away but effective range is closer 40 metres. I have seen my 5-7 out-range aeg's when it has had the hop set perfectly. While on the subject of hop, I adjusted mine once when it was bought and it has remained in the same position since. No issues with hop moving around and it has the magical TM hop system so you know you've got something reliable.

Gas consumption and Magazine reliability

With a full charge of gas, I have fired over 40 shots on several occasions.

Having owned 6 mags, I have only ever had one leak and it was sorted within 2 minutes simply be adding some lube to the top seal. No issue since and to be fair it was due to me venting the gas at the end of each game before I became as clued up on gbb's.

Having played in January this year during the early, low temperature mornings, the 5-7 has never vented gas, froze up or had any other issue at all. It has consistently hit between 270 and 280 fps (max chrono reading ever was 286 on a hot day during cqb) using Abbey Gas. I have used WE Green gas once or twice and the power does increase but not more than 10 or so fps.

Other notes:

The Blackhawk retention holster is brilliant. It holds the pistol snugly and enables a quick draw. Easy to manipulate and very ergonomic. Highly recommended.

Final Summary

I have used this gun as a primary at cqb and have even bought another so I can run two as primary's.

Pro's:

Consistent hop

Great range

Sturdy, heavy, gas efficient mags

Tacrail for accessories

Ergonomic and comfortable

Solid fps

Nice crisp blowback

After market upgrades available

Something different

Con's:

Plastic materials may put off some

Not fully ambidextrous (might be awkward in parts for lefties)

Not the cheapest of pistols at £130 ish

Big magazines might not fit in standard pistol mag pouches

TL;DR - Love it so much I bought another! 9/10

"The slide release, however, is only featured on the right, which can be accessed using the left handed trigger finger but it is awkward and feels alien. Unfortunately, lefties will struggle here whereas righties won't be phased as it is located directly above the thumb. The gun can, however, be power stroked with a full mag so it can be overlooked. The mag release only features on the left hand side, which makes left handed mag releases awkward as they are used with the thumb."

This doesn't make sense to me, if it was on the right then surely the lefties would be fine and vice versa. I'm guessing you mean on the left, but I couldn't really understand it...

Great review, you make me want to buy it even more! thanks for posting it :)

Sorry, yea that's what I meant! It is on the left of the gun,, which for righties is fine.

TBF, I use mine in my left a lot as I draw it from the left due to my Scar being heavy so I drop that slowly with my right and then draw with my left. It's easy enough to use, just feels a bit strange the first few times!

EDIT:

Edited original post; will also add some video soon of blowback and operation :)

• 3 years later...

Im interested in getting an fn 5-7 but wondering if i should go co2 or green gas version, Also when you were testing, what weight bb's were you using?

Love the review though, just wanted to check those couple of things.

Archived