Any tips for first skirmish

Thealebear

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, I was wondering if there are any good basic tactics or tips for me to use at my first skirmish. Im going with a friend who also hasnt been before so zny communication tips would also be appreciated. Im going to ground zero urban (CQB).

Any tactics and tips would be really helpfull.

Thank you Thealebear

Take a drink and some food - you will get hungry and thirsty.

If in doubt, call yourself out - just because you didn't see where the shot came from doesn't mean someone else hasn't got you in their sights.

If you're caught in a bottleneck grow some balls and charge in - worse that will happen is you'll get shot (repeatedly) but if that concerns you then don't play airsoft. One of my pet peeves in game is people not pushing forward (especially in CQB).

Trash talking is never okay. If you do this you will be lit up the next time they see you. A bit of banter is fine but too much just ruins the fun.

Don't spam the trigger, especially at close range. CQB sites usually are semi auto only as being lit up at close range isn't fun. It only takes one shot to kill someone - three round bursts are what most people do to be sure of a kill.

Don't be afraid to talk to people or recommend tactics.

Give people a chance to call themselves out when hit.

Don't shout "call your hits!" - annoys most people and the marshals take a dim view on it at most sites. Chances are you'll get penalised if you shout it at other people. If you think someone is cheating then tell a marshal.

Most other stuff would mostly be common sense I'd hope - e.g. mags out in safe zone, always wear eye pro in game areas, etcetera!

dont charge in like a maniac. take a more defensive role and watch the experienced players to get a feel for it. maybe even shadow someone but not too close or you could get them hit which wouldnt go down well

• Supporters

don't take the game too serious - it is just that a game

very likely you will go negative K/D - big deal, I'd rather go neg & have fun

than go pos & be unhappy coz 1 guy never took his hit or 8itch about unfair

decision or lost round - ffs it is just a game of pretend soldiers really

call your hits - if people don't play fair or at least try to play fair the whole

thing falls apart, somtimes rebounds or ricochets can count as hits - so

ensure you listen to the briefing in the morning from main marshals.

Also pay attention when they explain rules/objectives of each game

often things change eg: this round you can use full auto but only if xx ft

from enemy - you miss this and you get bollocked or get owned coz you

was still on semi when you could of been on auto etc.....

so listen to marshals - and ya team too

safety - do take seriously - your own & other players safety is paramount

unless you can afford to lose teeth/eye etc....

cqb is very different to woodland and they know you are coming so will be dug in

expect to get shot a number of times as you/team try to breach - check corners

taking nothing for granted - when you look - peek quickly with as little possible

exposed - watch the reg/pro's - talk to them, and listen to them.....

above all have fun & stay safe, don't get stressed - even if some bell end winds

you up, it is just a GAME so enjoy yourself :)

For CQB, expect to get hit, a lot, at very, very close range - that is what CQB is all about. Make sure you dress appropriately; full facemask is a must at CQB as you will get shot in the face. Wear a jacket with full sleeves to protect your arms. Headwear may be an idea as well, because of the above.

As Sitting Duck said, make sure you take food and drink - if you are running around a lot make sure you keep hydrated, even if it doesn't seem that hot outside.

Don't stress about what camo to use - you can almost wear what you want at CQB... I have seen players in jeans and leather jackets, suits and even bright yellow hoodies at CQB - they all had a good time (and we even managed to fail to find the guy in the bright yellow hoodie in one game... )

Sensible footwear is a must! No trainers otherwise you are inviting an ankle injury - a reasonable pair of boots won't be too expensive.

Have fun. Play to enjoy the game and let the other people play to win... I always say, at the end of the day you get the same prize for coming second as you do for coming first at a skirmish... nothing :)

If you are getting hit a lot doing a certain thing, try a different tactic, try flanking and get the jump on the opposition from a different angle. Adrenalin is a good pain killer, I get hit loads (normally bleeders in the face) but don't feel the pain from them until in the safe zone. Staying hydrated is really important, water is good. if you find your energy dropping sit out a round and chill out as you'll feel more refreshed by the next round.

Lots of good advice as already mentioned. Being relatively new to Airsoft myself, I thought I'd share a couple of my points:-

First time is really an eye opener, I bought plenty of kit (minus guns) prior to my first skirmish, subsequently learnt a hell of a lot on my first skirmish such as normal glasses goggles were no good as I'm the worlds sweatiest man, so I needed some mesh goggles with accompanying headband to help catch the sweat from my brow, subsequently have also bought a hydration pack to replenish throughout.

Secondly for me was that I needed a face mask... Whilst being twatted in the face wasn't the most painful feeling, I did feel at some point during the day I lost confidence and subsequently turned my back when being fired upon and was reluctant to stand face on or charge when bei fired upon, so for me the addition of a mask sorted the confidence & lack of pain issues.

Using the rentals on your first outing I personally think helps you define what type of gun you want & what style shooter you'll become, like quite a few on here I really liked the idea of a bit of camping / sniping action, however in actuality the running / charging being able to shoot off multiples geared me into wanting an AEG moreso.

Ultimately - Sounds a bit clichéd but enjoy yourself, I really didn't know what to expect as I had a crap experience with paint balling previously, but I found everyone who attended our local site was like minded, welcoming of the rookies and generously shared information & hints and tips.

Enjoy your time - I'm sure you'll be hooked in no time at all!

Thanks PT247 could awsner a few other questions?

How many bbs would be enough for a whole day

Should I buy some bbs at home to take instead of buying their?

Should I get a cheap tac vest so I can take mags for the rental gun?

I fire semi only pretty much, so get through less than 1000BBs a game day, sometimes less than 500BBs, but most people new to the game are very trigger happy and don't know the gun they are using very well so use far more ammo. I've known chaps who have gotten through over 1000BBs in a single round!

If you are renting the site will probably not let you use your own BBs as they will not want crap BBs pumped through their expensive guns which will damage them.

If you buy your own BBs (and are allowed to use them) then don't buy anything lighter than 0.2g or heavier than 0.25g BBs, I suggest Blasters as a decent quality brand that won't break the bank.

Not sure how your site runs, but no point buying any vests etc until you have decided if you like the sport, a hi-cap mag is very easy to refill in game so just have a pocket big enough to carry a bag of BBs with you and refill as required. A hi-cap mag will probably hold around 350-500BBs so IMO should be enough for at least a full round but all depends on how carried away you get.

dont charge in like a maniac. take a more defensive role and watch the experienced players to get a feel for it. maybe even shadow someone but not too close or you could get them hit which wouldnt go down well

I don't agree with this, too many say they're going to be defending or stay back and waste bb' s on something that isn't in range. Move forward.

we are only talking about a first game remember. Not a long term tactic! There is also the fact that you have to learn your way around the site so charging in isn't a good idea when you don't know where you are charging to

1000 rounds will probably be plenty although I suspect it may be 2500 or 5000 supplied with a rental gun. My pistol holds 110 and my G3 holds 420 per mag (I counted in both cases yesterday). I have a full pistol mag, 3 G3 mags plus 3 spares bags each holding 420 and I don't expect to use any bags on Sunday. It will of course depend on scenarios they set up, how I play and where I position myself

Okay first few games, play it safe. See how people play, if they do something right and are doing well try and learn from them and learn from your mistakes. Don't spray and pray, use mainly semi and not much full auto..

Then, when you get a bit more confident start pushing up, trying different things if all doesn't go according to plan. DO what you know, don't try and do a tarzan monkey swing across the trees, its never going to happen :D

Enjoy yourself, I'm sure you will but don't be too competitive, its good to be competitive to a certain degree and then when you get too serious it doesn't become fun anymore.

Take plenty of water and snacks, and plenty of BBs, depending on what battery, you may need to take, (probably not if your above 1000mah though)

ALWAYS TAKE YOUR HITS, people will respect you more, won't whine and you will have a better day, saves you being told off as well.

Try and talk to people, good first line is "I like the gun mate, what is it?" or something along those lines. People love to show off and talk about their gun. It's how I got some of my mates through airsoft.

Don't be afraid to tell a marshal if you think/know someone is cheating, tell the marshal / or alternatively light 'em up (not really advised :D)

If in doubt, don't do it in terms of rules and what you think you can do.

Finally, find your comfort zone then start exploring around that, don't sit at the back of the site and get out there and get some exercise and have some fun :)

Thank you for all the replies. I will use this advice when I go to my first skirmish. Are there any places where I can buy some cheap camo clothing as there has been a change of plan and we will be going to a woodland site.

Please help thank you

try army surplus and toys :) or your local surplus store

where are you based might help?
Try ebay if you have time to get stuff delivered, loads of DPM on there which is pretty cheap and the best for UK woodland

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.