First gun help (pistol)

Cay18

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys,

I’m new to the forum, and air soft so I’ll apologise about the amount of questions. I have had a look around the forum to answer most of my questions but I would still like some opinions.

I would like to purchase a pistol for back garden target practice, with a high FPS, ranging from 6-11 meters distance. I have noticed the gas/Co2 NBB guns appear to have the widest selection for this. I have a budget (as this will be my first gun) for around £30-40.

A few I have spotted for this price are listed below and I would appreciate if anyone could give feedback or good alternatives, within budget.

Gun: Crosman C11
Co2 powered
Shoots 6mm bbpellets (0.20g or 0.25g)
Magazine Capacity: 18 bb pellets
Weight: 515 g
Velocity: 400 fps Approx
Material: ABS
Semi Auto
Hop up
Price: £40 (bbguns4less)

Gun: SRC GGH0303B Heckler and Koch USP (Single fire)
Greem gas
Size - 225 mm long
Mag cap - 20 rounds
Hop up - yes
FPS 320
Single shot
Price: £30 (bbguns4less)

Gun: HFC GG-106 MK8
300 FPS
25 – 30 Meters
25 Round Magazine
Length of 19.5cm
Adjustable Hop-UP
Gas Pistol
Non-Blowback
Re-enforced ABS
Price: £30 (onlybbguns)

Gun: HFC HG-104 M92
Weighs 400 Grams
Gas Pistol
Single Fire
Made from Strong ABS and Metal
310 FPS
23 Round Magazine
40 Meter Range
22.5 cm in Length
Non-Blow Back
Takes Green Gas
Fixed Hop-UP
Hand Fit Grip
Price: £30 (onlybbguns)

I also notice someone say if waiting time is not an issue (which it isn’t) then the best bet is to order from a site like gunfire.pl which they have the following before deliver and any charges;

SRC GG105 or GC105 for €19-26
Or Umarex Ruger P 345 for €41.

If I was to order from gunfire.pl will they supply to a non UKARA person as I can’t see a two tone option available on their guns.

Few other points, I’m not bothered if the gun is semi auto or single fire. I’m also not bothered about mag size. I can’t see many huge differences on the Co2 Vs Green Gas for back garden target shooting, please advise if there are any other points to consider.

I also see a few discount codes posted in a few topics for some of the above website, if you know of any please let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Wouldn't recommend you buy anything from a bbguns website! It's literally like the first thing everyone will tell you. I wouldn't trust what they write about the guns either, for example justbbguns said that a gun had a metal gearbox but it literally had one metal gear and everything else in it was cheap, bad quality plastic (UnrustleThineJimmies did a review of it I believe). I don't know how good HFC are. I have heard bad things about Crosman because a lot of their cheap guns are sold in the US at places like Walmart. Probably wouldn't last too long. Some of SRCs guns are good (heard the G36s are) but a lot of them are bad so I would not recommend their pistols.

I suppose if you're only wanting something to mess around with in the garden, the 'bbguns' stores would be okay. Since a lot of the proper airsoft retailers don't stock those guns. I would not buy anything else from them though as it is usually overpriced and the customer service is bad and so on.

That said I would recommend you saved up and invested in a rifle like the G&G Combat Machine because they can last you a long time (even stock / out of the box the quality is very good for a cheaper airsoft gun) and you can upgrade them externally as well as internally if you want to upgrade performance or fix anything in the future. Available from Pro Airsoft Supplies with a transparent stock and receiver (so it's VCRA-compliant, no defence needed + looks much better than a bright colour) for £100. Add £20-£40 max for battery and charger.

If you wanted to go to a skirmish at some point, the pistols wouldn't really cut it and you'd find yourself at a disadvantage with less range / accuracy / ammo capacity and so on.

TaiwanGun and Gunfire (both Polish) are great (I used TaiwanGun myself) but unfortunately no they won't two-tone your guns.

Finally, C02 is more expensive and more powerful (so it may shoot too hot -over 350FPS- and not be allowed at a skirmish site) but the advantages are that it is affected less by the cold compared to green gas.

Hope this has helped and welcome to the forum! :)

If it's just for back garden plinking then any co2 powered pistol is going to be about the same at that price, just don't be surprised if it breaks quickly.

As mentioned before, avoid sites with "bb" in their title - usually have sub par customer service and products (but not always). Additionally if you order from overseas without a UKARA then your gun will be seized and more than likely destroyed. Even with a valid UKARA defence there's a risk of this happening.

Wouldn't recommend you buy anything from a bbguns website! It's literally like the first thing everyone will tell you. Most of the guns they sell are only good enough for a backyard battle or shooting targets and not a proper skirmish. I'd also recommend a rifle such as the G&G Combat Machine because they are very good value and you can upgrade them a lot.

A pistol on the other hand will not have the same performance, it won't be as accurate or have as much range. Unless you're playing at a close quarters site you will probably find you are at a big disadvantage without a rifle.

TaiwanGun and Gunfire (both Polish) are great but unfortunately no they won't two-tone your guns.

Thanks for the very quick reply!

I didn't word my original post very well but to start with, all I will be doing if back yard target practice and thought for my £30-40 budget that would only get me a pistol.

The distance would only be between 6-11 M but i would still like something powerful.

I did read about the bbgun website not being the best, that is why I thought I would speak with the the people who would be able to give me honest reviews.

Of the guns mentioned would any be good for what I need at the moment?

Thanks again

If it's just for back garden plinking then any co2 powered pistol is going to be about the same at that price, just don't be surprised if it breaks quickly.

As mentioned before, avoid sites with "bb" in their title - usually have sub par customer service and products (but not always). Additionally if you order from overseas without a UKARA then your gun will be seized and more than likely destroyed. Even with a valid UKARA defence there's a risk of this happening.

Thanks for the quick reply.

It doesn't have to be a gas/Co2 but if I want a decent power (320FPS+) I didn't see many electric or spring options, could you suggest any pistols around that price range or do I really need to look at spending more? As this is my first gun i was hoping £30-40 would cover a half decent gun with good power but what would also last.

Looking at the various reviews the Crosman C11 looks to be well built (2nd version of the gun).

And thanks for the info on importing!

• Supporters

if you get the HFC's from onlybbguns try RC10 and you might get 10% off

so the 2 HFC's will be £27 delivered

yes they are low end guns and in general not ultra wise to buy from these BB site's

But - ANY gas pistol "can" fail at some point lets be honest, the valves can leak etc...

so see if you can locate spare mags - handy if you actually want another mag or if

you can source parts for valve/mag - not always that straight forward.......

You could consider buying 2 cheapy gas pistols like I have done, any gas pistol can

break and YES they are not the top end ones but you ain't spending 3 or 4 times or

more money on a pistol - and if you did then you a fvcked or heavily committed getting

it fixed or you £100+ super duper blowback mofo pistol is just sitting there for display

I am not having a dig at the high end pistols - far from it guys but these cheap n cheerful

pistols at least kinda fire at some decent rate rather than crappy AEG's that offer only

pi$$ poor performance before they break next week - if they last that long......

So you "could" consider 2 x HFC's for say £54 - or a pistol with 2 mags + other pistol for

parts/painting - dodgy area - but you kinda get what I mean.....

The Crossman @ £40 is plus postage or add £20 for free shipping

can you buy a spare mag for it - if so then it might be worth it as £60 is free shipping

try "horse" for 5% discount but gotta spens £60 for free shipping at bbguns4less

onlybbguns do free shipping on all crap

up to you though in the end

I have the hfc g17, needs a it of maintaining but if you don't mess around with it you will find it is quite good and won't break for some time. Also, has a nice kick...

if you get the HFC's from onlybbguns try RC10 and you might get 10% off

so the 2 HFC's will be £27 delivered

yes they are low end guns and in general not ultra wise to buy from these BB site's

But - ANY gas pistol "can" fail at some point lets be honest, the valves can leak etc...

so see if you can locate spare mags - handy if you actually want another mag or if

you can source parts for valve/mag - not always that straight forward.......

You could consider buying 2 cheapy gas pistols like I have done, any gas pistol can

break and YES they are not the top end ones but you ain't spending 3 or 4 times or

more money on a pistol - and if you did then you a fvcked or heavily committed getting

it fixed or you £100+ super duper blowback mofo pistol is just sitting there for display

I am not having a dig at the high end pistols - far from it guys but these cheap n cheerful

pistols at least kinda fire at some decent rate rather than crappy AEG's that offer only

pi$$ poor performance before they break next week - if they last that long......

So you "could" consider 2 x HFC's for say £54 - or a pistol with 2 mags + other pistol for

parts/painting - dodgy area - but you kinda get what I mean.....

The Crossman @ £40 is plus postage or add £20 for free shipping

can you buy a spare mag for it - if so then it might be worth it as £60 is free shipping

try "horse" for 5% discount but gotta spens £60 for free shipping at bbguns4less

onlybbguns do free shipping on all crap

up to you though in the end

Thank you, another top response!

The 2 x pistols and having one for spares etc sounds like a good idea aswell!

So its most likely when something does happen to break/fail it will most likely be the mag?

Thanks for the discount codes aswell, much appreciated!

You mentioned you recently purchased 2 cheap pistols. What did you go for? And would you recommend for garden shooting?

Many thanks

• Supporters

the seals normally go on gas/co2 mags

green gas may not like real cold - co2 not quite so fussy

I went for the CO2 hfc gc105 i think

but is too powerful for sites 350fps limit as it fires like most co2 at 400+

new co2 bulb and she hits 440 and slowly depletes to zilch after say 100bb's

thought they would be better than green gas to quickly change or refill in battle

drop in another bulb when required between rounds/games rather than mess with

refilling GG mags

BUT yet again I screwed up - too powerful like I said - most CO2's can't be used

as they just too powerful - often most sites don't allow coz even lowered power

they are a bit varied on fps output from old to fresh bulb - bummer

have tried to look at ways to lower fps by filing hammer down to not strike valve

so much resulting in a reduced burst of CO2 - it lowers fps but not enough atm

and if going too mad I can end with a pi$$ poor fps of say 150fps - but hey

at least I didn't buy a £100 co2 and extra mag n stuff only to find out I can't use

Green Gas pistols stay between 300 - 350 and are allowed no problem at sites

some say GG can be a tiny bit more prone to valve problems than co2 and then

there are cyma electric pistols that will never have valve problems coz the electric

but cyma - glock is best model btw, only punch at about 200fps - but have auto

which means hold trigger for say 10 shots per sec if ya want

Not devastating electric power pistols, not flawless gas/co2 pistols either they all

have their slight flaws and advantages over each other, as well as may only be

used in skirmishes now n then - or a bit more often in cqb

so yeah - the pistol area is a bit more of a minefield in deciding type and how much

to spend I guess - yes some pistols are awesome but can be £150 even - jeez

cheaper ones will be likely to break especially if you don't take care of them, spares

can be a problem and mags can be hard to source for some too

you gotta decide and take your chances

Green Gas - can use propane but gotta buy this in bulk to save money and get all

adapters n crap - so you can save a bit in running costs but you gotta spend a bit

first, co2 bulbs they add up but more you buy the cheaper they get say 50 or 100

can be under 40p or less. Electric Cyma's - batteries are titchy so don't last long

before you need to change/charge as well

think that just about covers all types - what & how much is down to you in the end

• Supporters

If you are determined to buy a cheap pistol regardless of what has been said about saving for a rifle, etc. then get this. I have 2 - I bought the second 2nd hand because you cannot get spare mags for them, hence i now have 1 pistol, 1 spare, & 2 mags. They are CO2, they are too hot for most sites, but eventually the mags wear out a bit and give under 350 FPS (a couple of thousand shots).

The reason for this is a matter of speculation, but the most plausible explanation i've heard is that using them with the cheap multi-purpose 12g CO2 bulbs does not allow any lubrication inside the valve, unlike the expensive Walther CO2 bulbs which are made for pistols and contain silicone oil. The lack of lube prevents the valve opening as much as previously and less CO2 is allowed through per shot.

Performance wise they are pretty good, especially when you consider that they equal or better the performance of most pistols up to double the price. The hop up is fixed though, so effective range is always going to <25m and you must use 0.2g BB's to shoot further than 10m without having to aim up. Even before I modded the grip with an ergonomic exact fit to my hand, at 7.5m I could get a 3" grouping from 5 shots aiming with just the one hand, ie not supporting grip with left hand. With a two handed grip at 7.5m I could put 10 shots within 2". Since I put the grip-mod on I can get the same accuracy from single hand grip as I could with two hands before.

If you are determined to buy a cheap pistol regardless of what has been said about saving for a rifle, etc. then get this. I have 2 - I bought the second 2nd hand because you cannot get spare mags for them, hence i now have 1 pistol, 1 spare, & 2 mags. They are CO2, they are too hot for most sites, but eventually the mags wear out a bit and give under 350 FPS (a couple of thousand shots).

The reason for this is a matter of speculation, but the most plausible explanation i've heard is that using them with the cheap multi-purpose 12g CO2 bulbs does not allow any lubrication inside the valve, unlike the expensive Walther CO2 bulbs which are made for pistols and contain silicone oil. The lack of lube prevents the valve opening as much as previously and less CO2 is allowed through per shot.

Performance wise they are pretty good, especially when you consider that they equal or better the performance of most pistols up to double the price. The hop up is fixed though, so effective range is always going to <25m and you must use 0.2g BB's to shoot further than 10m without having to aim up. Even before I modded the grip with an ergonomic exact fit to my hand, at 7.5m I could get a 3" grouping from 5 shots aiming with just the one hand, ie not supporting grip with left hand. With a two handed grip at 7.5m I could put 10 shots within 2". Since I put the grip-mod on I can get the same accuracy from single hand grip as I could with two hands before.

think I may have to buy one of them :) does it sound nice when shot. also, which CO2 cartridges do you use? that looks like good value to me :D

• Supporters

It sounds quite loud actually. I've had ppl whom I couldn't see put their hands up and come out from behind bushes when I fired a couple of probing shots towards them... I can only guess they shat themselves and didn't want to risk being hit by it lol!

I use any old 12g bulbs (most of mine are either Crossman or Umarex, but a few have no markings on them) - 3 times i've spotted deals too good to miss and i got about 15 when I bought some Thunder B grenades 2nd hand also.

Just bear in mind that brand new they fire at around 370FPS or just over 1st shot and drop a few each time in successive shots down to about 355 which is the minimum you get until the bulb needs changing, so even if a site allows CO2 guns, these will be too hot for most. It only took a few months of plinking before the 1st shot was consistently under 370FPS though, so I could use it @Skirmish Mansfield as a sidearm. There are a few woodland sites which allow up to 370 and some, like GZ, which allow any semi-auto gun to fire up to 425 without a MED.

Oh yeah, if you fire say 5 shots, it's not long before the 1st of another volley will be back at 370+FPS - less than 5mins.

Edited by Ian_Gere
extra fps info

It sounds quite loud actually. I've had ppl whom I couldn't see put their hands up and come out from behind bushes when I fired a couple of probing shots towards them... I can only guess they shat themselves and didn't want to risk being hit by it lol!

I use any old 12g bulbs (most of mine are either Crossman or Umarex, but a few have no markings on them) - 3 times i've spotted deals too good to miss and i got about 15 when I bought some Thunder B grenades 2nd hand also.

Just bear in mind that brand new they fire at around 370FPS or just over 1st shot and drop a few each time in successive shots down to about 355 which is the minimum you get until the bulb needs changing, so even if a site allows CO2 guns, these will be too hot for most. It only took a few months of plinking before the 1st shot was consistently under 370FPS though, so I could use it @Skirmish Mansfield as a sidearm. There are a few woodland sites which allow up to 370 and some, like GZ, which allow any semi-auto gun to fire up to 425 without a MED.

Oh yeah, if you fire say 5 shots, it's not long before the 1st of another volley will be back at 370+FPS - less than 5mins.

sounds good for garden battles, how long do the cartridges last e.g how many mag fills? thanks for all the info btw :)

• Supporters

About 5 mags per bulb, iirc. TBH I don't use it often enough to keep track!

The sound is a sharp explosive crack - all from the muzzle so it sounds even louder when it's fired at you than it does behind it!

• Supporters

totally agree with perhaps cheap gas pistols & buy say 2 if mags are to source

now the other option:

https://jdairsoft.net/asg-cz-p-09-duty-inc-case

but though this baby gives you the option to run with powerful CO2 mags AND GreenGas mags

each holds about 25 - well say 23 capacity in case you bust trying to get last 1 or 2 in there

but mags are about £30 and gun £100 so though it is a good idea and great option it ain't cheap

but an option all the same on this very nice blowback - feckin fast action blowback on CO2 mags

now if HFC/SRC/STTI did stuff like this on there M1911 - 105's (non blow-back pistols)

then that would be dog's dangley bits

ain't got a HFC GG-105 green gas version to compare mags - but just wondering

how much stuff manufacture's change on different versions - I mean less bespoke

parts = less manufacturing costs

ahh great - now I'm think about buying all the similar looking cheapo pistols just to see

(nah not this month - card & paypal has been hammered already)

My dad and I had a couple of those Palcos, tbh been meaning to get back to Ian for ages now (sorry bout that)

We're trying to source new mags for em - don't leave CO2 in the gun cos the mags don't work anymore :( Noob mistake.

I think they were good pistols, only thing I didn't like is the long trigger pull, but I think this is a feature of all USPs anyway.

Halo Mill allowed them as they were their hire pistols (Now replaced by WE M&Ps I believe) but other sites might not let you use them.

i have the hfc g17 ( i think its called, not sure if it has some stupid name though) which I bought off a friend who used it once and then never again. It is quite good, the blowback is quite nice, however the mags have started to leak gas a bit. Also to note, parts are not as well made so can break, and the overall finish is alright. accuracy is well, ok, however in close combat it is good.

http://www.onlybbguns.co.uk/hfc-hg-302-mk23-airsoft-gas-pistol.html?filter_name=mk23#.VAAb3sVdX4Y

I have one of these, they are pretty good. It chronos around 335 with a 0.2g bb and is pretty accurate. No blowback on it though and it's pretty big if you have small hands.

• Supporters

Mr. B you can sort those mags out - to get them apart you need to get this for the double prong bits. I dunno if you just got lemons though because I leave mine with CO2 bulbs in them and I haven't had any problems. I'm willing to buy yours still if you can't be arsed fixing them. I have occasionally put a drop of silicone oil into the receptacle where the neck of the CO2 bulbs go, when I've changed them, so maybe that has helped, but my original mag never fires at over 370FPS so something has changed inside it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.