What should I get?

Gwaa

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I'm a beginner with no experience with airsoft and would like to purchase an aeg for garden battles and field skirmishes what would you recommend?

Would something like this be a good idea http://www.onlybbguns.co.uk/jg58-electric-carbine-blow-back-rifle.html?filter_name=JG

If not could you please post links to suitable guns.,

Thanks

• Supporters

welcome but most of these questions can be answered by a little looking

some excellent guides to many many newcomer's questions:

but here is an extract:

Join an Airsoft Site and, if you're over 18, get UKARA registered. If not, your membership still proves that you are an airsofter and some retailers will take that as defence against prosecution under the VCRA. Bear in mind that u18's cannot buy any airsoft gun, RIF or two-tone IF, but it is not illegal for an u18 to own a gun without hideous two-tone paint. Some retailers will sell a RIF to an adult accompanying a minor who has proof of being a skirmisher, but it is also not illegal for an u18 regular skirmisher to 'manufacture an RIF', ie strip the two-tone paint off (with Fairy Power Spray). Therefore, do whatever you need to do to get a Realistic looking Assault Rifle.

The G&G Combat Machine range
is probably your best bet, from Zero One if you need two tone, because they'll paint it for free, or Pro Airsoft Supplies because they only charge £10 to paint but also sell transparent bodied G&G's which don't look half as arse as orange or green. However CYMA are better for AK's and SRC for G36's. Check out Taiwan Gun too: they're Polish (EU) so there's no Customs charges - right now they're about the best prices for guns (14/01/14) and gunfire.pl are very good also. If you prefer a UK based seller (in case of breakdown for eg), the larger retailers (in no particular order: Zero One, Land Warrior, Airsoft World, Action Hobbies, Redwolf UK), tend to be cheapest but only for certain guns (can't really leave Fire-Support off a list of larger retailers, but cheap they aren't, and Wolf Armouries but their website is a shambles) - but it's also worth checking with smaller retailers who will often negotiate over the price/delivery/accessories

taken from:

Ian's guide to noobism on a tight budget.

and loads of stuff here to read up

http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/12854-new-player-guides-info/

Pretty much what duck said. Don't buy from any website with bbguns in it, because generally they charge way over the price, lie about the stats and then when it breaks you will never get the returns policy. Main sites to buy from =

Proairsoftsupplies.com

zerooneairsoft.com

landwarriorairsoft.com

patrolbase.co.uk

all of our sponsors and people like armysurplusandtoys and ak2m4 who are on these forums, they can generally give you a forum discount :)

also tawain gun and there are a few others like JD that are ok, not brilliant...

I bought off of zero one and you have to do a lot of paperwork for your first order but it is fine after that, just for safety precautions and everything, its good its not just a box to tick because that doesn't clear that you actually are 18 *cough*justbbguns*cough*

My first proper gun was a G&G cm16 carbine, I got the carbine because I liked the idea of changing the stock and I just generally like it more, but personal preference seems to be most people like the raider so I imagine that will be you.

I got the long, however the short would be more practical for me in terms of carrying it around, because I cycle to mates houses for garden games and you have to be careful about hiding so I have to carry a huge backpack on my back which fits it, ( a hiking one) and it's tough to cycle with.

Battery wise - get a LiPo. I got the 2600mah off of component shop and it is a beast, also with the accucel digital 6 with power supply, you spend around £70 altogether however in the long run it will save you. LiPos are great becase they give more power fore less, last longer, are smaller and you don't have to discharge them, just keep topping them up. They don't go wrong if you use them correctly e.g plug in the balancer, and use a smart charger so they don't go over max charge. That charger has an LCD display, it can charge from lead acid to LiFe, it is great and I use it.

Eye protection is something you don't want to go cheap with. if you are under 16 you have to have full face and a good bolle mask and a half mesh mask could set you back some money but could save your eyes. Don't get the cheap chinese ones, in case something does go wrong, it could be serious and you would then regret it. Paintball masks work fine as well, but they do get fogged up like any mask or pair of goggles, you just have to be careful.

Clothing wise, indoor is fine to wear chinos and a top or whatever, doesn't really matter about camouflage, however if you are going to play woodland I would advise you to go down to your local surplus store and buy some old issue woodland kit or multicam, whatever fits you, but it will make a big deal rather than wearing bright green like I did on my first skirmish... -_-

Magazines and chest rigs wise, for your first few games I would carry a rucksack around with BBs in, put it down to play and refill your mags, after, thats if you have 2 or three mags. Depends at what site you are playing, with mine they don't mess around, 2 minute break so we don't go back to the safe zone, so I carried some BBs around which saved me a few times.

I have probably missed some key aspects, and I am worried I am becoming a teacher with my essays, but that is really all I have to say, will add some stuff if there is something else I forgot to mention in this post :)

I wasn't expecting a FAL when I clicked the link.......

Honestly? Why not. Most folk will say combat machine and they're right, they're a cracking first gun but don't get an M4 if you don't want an M4. JG do make some decent rifles although I'm not overly clued up on that model although I know there are plenty on here who will be. EBB might not be the ideal choice for a first timer though so maybe look for a straight AEG version. That blue isnt even that offensive.......

our sites rental guns are the jg g36c and the g+g m4 raiders. both are grand for repairs and upgrades and the g36s take the abuse better than the m4s though the m4s shoot better...

What's the advantage of an m90 spring or an m100 spring over the basic one? Also could someone please include a link to the best battery for a g and g combat machine

What's the advantage of an m90 spring or an m100 spring over the basic one? Also could someone please include a link to the best battery for a g and g combat machine

The number refers to the metres per second the spring should make the gun shoot at. So 90 m/s = 295-300 FPS

Downgrade may be required if your air seal have been upgraded (hence the power increase) say if you installed a tightbore barrel or some upgrade parts in the gearbox. So if the gun is shooting too hot you could replace the M100 with the M90 spring to reduce the FPS.

Good place to look for a battery and charger is Component Shop.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the starter pack that'll be i stock very soon:

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/cm16_transparent_starter_pack.html

Or just the gun:

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/cm16_carbine_transparent.html

I've heard that .25g's are good outdoors.

• Supporters

Even though I hate M4's and two tones, that PAS starter pack is a good deal. It looks like the eyepiece of those goggles is interwoven wire, not perforated sheet - which gives better 'seethruability' (which is a technical term used in the science of seeingwoturdoingversuslosinganeyeology). That said, they look shit and the interior of of the mask portion gets coated in condensed breath and spittal when you run around in it - which is unpleasant, but better than losing a tooth. The NiMh battery is a good quality one, as is the charger.

But I'm wary of giving you the standard advice - i mean shit, as has been noted, we don't get many people whose first 'ambestestgnu' post is a FAL and, even more impressively, once directed to wombat machines, you came back with an AK! Good man yourself!

To advise you better we need to know some stuff: how old are you? Does £200 sound like an easy sum to put together for a laugh, or more like a wallet frightener? Do you know anyone who is into airsoft? Where are you based and do you know where your nearest site is? Woodland or Urban/CQB (Close Quarter Battle)? In general, do you prefer stuff which many people have, or do you like your stuff to be unusual?

The guns you chose:

JG FAL - Jing Gong guns are Chinese, mostly either direct Tokyo Marui clones or developed from those clones. They are generally pretty good, although I don't think any of them stand out as being excellent (unlike some CYMA guns who are also a Chinese company who began by making TM clones). In this case though I suspect JG have based it on a King Arms design. The KA FAL is a decent gun, so I expect the JG is too, but probably not as robust. "Full Metal" in this case refers to zinc alloy, AKA 'pot metal', mind which is heavy and not much, if at all, stronger than good quality ABS plastic. I have never heard anyone in a position to know say that JG's EBB mechanism is inherently bollocks, but obviously an EBB gun has more to go wrong with it than an ordinary AEG and if there is one thing pot metal is famous for, it's metal fatigue induced cracks... Personally I would not pay £200+P&P for a pot metal gun, EBB or not, unless I had a real thing for that gun model and there was no other option. I also would not buy from a website with bbguns in the name unless they had something I really wanted and could not find in stock elsewhere - for eg Well R2 stamped steel midcap mags which are also compatible with my JG V61 Scorpion (a TM Clone which is very good) / guess what? Even though the price was ridiculous I bought 1... and now they are back in stock on the HK retail sites grrrrrrrrr! Before thinking of buying this you should find out what mags it will take, how available they are, and how much they cost.

G&G RK47 - these are good guns. There is a bit of flex in the plastic body which makes it more resilient than a pot metal one - the hop up control is quite sensitive so setting it to achieve absolute max range is easy and accuracy is decent. IIrc they may be a little finicky over which mags will work in them, but the standard reasonable priced option most people go for, MAG, work in them just fine. This type with black polymer furniture look a lot better than cheap AK's with faux wood plastic furniture (which are really shit). If you want to swap furniture in future, to fit rails for accessories for eg, you may have to do a bit of dremmeling because G&G guns don't usually take 'standard' exterior parts.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.