Airsoft guns for MGS cosplay?

BigBoss

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys, any Metal Gear fans here?

Anyway, there's going to be a con in November and im planning to cosplay as Big Boss (If he was a handsome manlet), as well as a few of us going. We want to try and be as accurate to the guns they were using and it would be pretty embarassing if the guns broke, so we're looking to get high quality ones.(All of us have jobs and sustainable income so price might not matter that much) Im new to airsoft but im looking to get into it.

Anyways the characters we'll be cosplaying as will be Big Boss, Solid Snake, Ocelot, Meryl, Naked Snake and Eva.

So any suggestions as to any good quality airsoft thats specific to the characters and can also be used for skirmishes? would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Metal_Gear_Solid

One important point. If you are new to airsoft, will you have UKARA sorted out in time?

Hey man thanks for taking the time to post, (though really only the SOCOM is viable).

I live in Ireland, and as far as I know we dont have an Irish analog to UKRA and we can buy whatever as long as its under 1 joule, some sort of law idk.

Well the TM Mk23 socom is a really good gun, great for CQB as it is very quiet and accurate. There is a cheaper ASG version which is also quite good but not as quiet, unfortunately it doesn't come with the LAM module.

• Supporters

Will you be able to just walk about with guns at a cosplay convention in Ireland?

I've never been to one, but I'd have thought that kind of stuff would be... Difficult, at best.

If you're just after props for cosplay then the ASG is perfectly fine, no point paying a premium for the marui when you're only after the looks anyway!

The OP asked about quality guns he could use for airsoft. The ASG doesn't come with the LAM unit, which you would want if you want to be accurate to the game.

Will you be able to just walk about with guns at a cosplay convention in Ireland?

I've never been to one, but I'd have thought that kind of stuff would be... Difficult, at best.

If you're dressed up, it should be no problem. A week ago, I spent a day wondering around Lacock village pointing rifles at tourists. It was part of an event called Lacock at war and I was with a group of re-enactors. If you're cosplaying at a convention, its to be expected that you would carry weapons in the same way that you would expect re-enactors to do the same. As long as you have them in a bag when travelling to and from the event.

I travel by train carrying a rifle in a bag quite a lot, you cannot hide the fact that its a rifle. The interesting part is that the 15 inch bayonet which is not in a bag only gets queried when I get to an airsoft site (it's rubber but looks good enough that I have to bend it for the marshalls to see). Years ago (when I lived in Aberdeen), I arrived in Glasgow on a match day by train. The police were searching everyone for hidden weapons etc. The guy I saw who got off a train in full clansman getup carrying a wooden shield and huge claymore got waved straight through.

If you carry a small pocket knife without a valid reason, the police will come down on you like a ton of bricks. If you are in the relevant costume (in my case full WW2 gear), then they don't even have to think about whether you have a valid reason.

yea hes fine buying down south. not sure they like guys walking about with replica guns in public anymore than we do though. i would both have something to transport them to the even it(gun case etc) and have a site membership in case questioned by the guard(if you are serious about airsoft and dont want potential problems do both of these anyway) it would also probably be a good idea to contact the convention peoples to make sure they are fine with it etc...(they might need to get permission from the guard for replica weapons in public)

as for the socom, you could also just get the asg one and a separate lam unit cheaper...

• Supporters

No different than any other con. The cosplay police are total hardline dicks at most of them anyway.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.