wow other forums!!!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Many years spent in the murky depths of Visordown and TheRevCounter (both motorbike forums for the uninformed) have left me with a significantly thicker skin and a general attitude of "meh, whatever" when it comes to internet based trolls. TRC once had a thread that started with a n00b introduction and ended with a 183 page flame war. I shit you not.

Should any of you have the misfortune opportunity to meet me in real life you'll quickly learn that the same attitude doesn't follow me into real life.

Anyone who claims to be 'Special Forces' is 99% of the time not Special forces. There are whole speciaolist web sited dedicated to exposing fake Special Forces.

Ah yes! The largest unit in the British Army is the team that was on the balcony at the Iranian Embassy! I've met hundreds of blokes who told me they were there!!!

One thing I don't get is the link people make between airsofting and "Walting"?!

"Walting" is passing yourself off as someone/something you're not nor have been in order to get some sort of gain, be it financial, a free beer, a better job, some totty or just kudos.

Airsofting isn't any of that, we just run around and shoot the crap out of each other for the fun of it! Yes, it does involve fitness, (believe me, I know! and I do have to work on mine!!) skill and lightening quick reflexes, individually as well as team skills, tactics and the use of comms and such.

Some of us like to dress the part to the nth degree and some don't, a bit like going down the pub or watching a footy game.

There is a real rabid reaction to someone who is "walting" just because of a photo, without any context to it.

I saw one recently on face book of some guy in MTPs and an SAS beret, stable belt and rank slide, people went radio rental!!

Turns out he was modelling for a film/tv costume hire company.

Doh!

Now who's the doofus??!!

• Supporters

ugggh the rev counter is a vile place! BCF is the forum, but even that's gone downhill since all the NSR owners died out.

Ahhh....so you know TRC well then! Who are you "over there" then?

Is it a good idea to be members of many forums??

I mean this as, do you get a more varied number of opinions etc wasnt meant as:

Is it really a good idea to be members of other forums!? In a mean voice...

Ha haaa! That's exactly how I heard it in my head!

More forums is always a good thing if you're after a wider range of opinionated twaddle. Not that that's always a bad thing of course. I generally find when I start an interest/hobby I scattergun every forum I can think of and gradually dial back my presence on the ones most full of idiots/rubbish/devoid of any interaction whatsoever. Which is why I have a handful of posts on Zeroin and faaaaaaaahsands on here.

Ok, glad you didn't take it the wrong way! :P

Many years spent in the murky depths of Visordown and TheRevCounter (both motorbike forums for the uninformed) have left me with a significantly thicker skin and a general attitude of "meh, whatever" when it comes to internet based trolls. TRC once had a thread that started with a n00b introduction and ended with a 183 page flame war. I sh*t you not.

Should any of you have the misfortune opportunity to meet me in real life you'll quickly learn that the same attitude doesn't follow me into real life.

Ducatiforum is the best biking forum I have been on. OK I know it's marque specific but I haven't found a nicer forum or one with more help.

• Supporters

Spotting fake SF for dummies: "How do you pronounce Herford?"

Spotting fake SF for dummies: "How do you pronounce Herford?"

You mean the ones who got "badged" by watching Ronin?! lol :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Every forum has its bias and issues around the culture that has grown there, its all part of fitting in to that community that you don't rock the boat too much. I suspect that Arrse is one of those places where the reasonable and nice guys in the armed forces don't go, or leave very quickly because the existing culture is full of the horrible idiots that no one likes anyway.

Plenty of forums are just broken and it all stems from the moderators. The moderation team makes the entire difference on a forum, they drive the behaviour of the forum entirely they set the tone and culture and enforce it that way.

• Supporters

^^To be fair to them, ARRSE do have some hilarious threads when they discuss rumours doing the rounds in the military. It has to be said that to understand some of the humour you must either be in, know someone well who is in, or have read quite a bit of previous a[r]rse surrounding the same/similar rumours. Which is not surprising really - whether people choose to admit it or not, the military is a massive clique, each service a very large clique, each battle group/regiment/(whatever the RAF call more than 1 sqdn) a pretty large clique, each ship/detachment/company/squadron a large clique, and each detail/platoon/flight a clique. It is the inevitable consequence of esprit de corps...

The reason why is illustrated here: I don't know all the correct terms for various groupings within the military and TBH I don't much care. But to ex/serving personnel, those groupings are the lads and lasses whom they will/do rely upon in dangerous situations and to whom they owe personal loyalty, far and away more important than any oath of allegiance. I reveal myself as an outsider...

Nonetheless, there is no need to be quite so much of an arse as these buttocks have in this case.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.