How do you set up your Hop up? Range

Snakeeyes75

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, I've just got my first AEG, It's a G&G T4-18 (Gen 3). I've been googling hop up settup but there's no one that really answers my question. I suppose really there's a couple of questions so I'll split them down and ask them individually:

1: When you're setting your hop, what range are you aiming to hit something at? e.g., do you set up a target at "X" feet and adjust to hit it?

2: What kind of range should I be expecting to be accurate at?

I set up (At a local Air cadets gun range) an A4 paper at 30 meters, and set my hop so that I was able to hit it. Is that a good range or should I be expecting more? I've been told that the target should be at about 45 meters, is that too much?

I was using the gun as standard with .20g Blaster pellets. Another question I was going to ask is do people tend to use .23g for outdoor use to help compensate for crosswinds?

Any help appreciated :)

• Supporters

If you want to actually hit what you are aiming for, use heavier BBs. At least 0.25 or 0.28+ if your gun can handle it.

I usually set the target at 40m. First thing is to set the hopup. Don't use the sights, just look down the barrel to check the trajectory. People usually prefer one of the two: set the hopup to get the flattest trajectory with no raise in it. This is the most predictable trajectory. I prefer the other way, a little bit of raise in it at the last part.

This gives the most range.

Something like the difference between the green and the black graph. (Yeah, I know it is an other graph, it's just for the shape of it.)

07-a-038.gif

If you are happy with the trajectory, set your sights to the impact point on the target. First set the iron sights (horizontal, then vertical), then the red dot or optics if you use one.

After you are done with that, spend a lot of time on different distances too. Learn how much you have to aim below or above the target on certain distances.

If your hopup is fine, you don't really need to touch it again, except if you buy an other brand of BBs, or the temperature/humidity changes significantly. Check before every game if everything is still ok. Usually you don't have to touch the sights, just the hopup to get the same trajectory as you set the first time.

I have one of these they like 0.28g ammo most and the range is amazing, zeroing at 30 metres is fine

Cool, What mags do you use? I was hoping to use the G&G Mid caps but if you can only really use 85 BB's out if 120 I was thinking about trying something else!

Brand called MAG are the best, you can get them at www.armysurplusandtoys.co.uk for £55 and if you use army10 you get 10% off ;) the guy who owns them is on here, great service great mags great prices

Cool, Can I ask, I've been having a problem where if I fill the G&G 120 round madcap mags the first 20 or so round pretty much roll out of the barrel then after that it's fine! Is that a general thing with Mid caps or is that juts the G&G's ?

Prob jus the spring is to powerful or not powerfull enough when feeding in the mag. Different mags should sort that , coz its a 416 alot of m4 mags wont work you got be carefull

Prob jus the spring is to powerful or not powerfull enough when feeding in the mag. Different mags should sort that , coz its a 416 alot of m4 mags wont work you got be carefull

OK, I just bought the MAG 8 pack (Last one). I take it that they should work better?

OK, I just bought the MAG 8 pack (Last one). I take it that they should work better?

Yes mate, those MAG magazines are great and there one of the only mags that work in our guns as the 416 has a different magell to m4's. Buy some 0.28g ammo as well and set your hop to almost full and the ammo goes miles, the hop up on the g&g top tech is amazing. Let me know how ya get on with the mags

Yes mate, those MAG magazines are great and there one of the only mags that work in our guns as the 416 has a different magell to m4's. Buy some 0.28g ammo as well and set your hop to almost full and the ammo goes miles, the hop up on the g&g top tech is amazing. Let me know how ya get on with the mags

Fantastic! I'll get back to you :)

will be getting your out tomorrow mate...dispatch email just to confirm tomorrow....great mags shame it is our last but hopefully not for long mate :)

Thanks very much! I look forward to getting them and hopefully getting my gun working better :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Snakeeyes75

how is your 416 working with the 0.28s? im looking at sorting mine out, was using a bag of 0.25s from Zerone, and they were fine, but then bought a bottle of 0.25 Blaster Devils and it was being a quite eratic - bad batch of bbs im putting this down to, but if 0.28s are the way to go then i shall look at investing in some. would be good to have your take on this.

thanks

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.