Quick Questions & Simple Answers.

Finius
Message added by Jedi_Master

When you ask a question please do so using red writing that way, it's easy for people scrolling down to find a question.

When you answer a question, please quote (this will make sure the person gets a notification and they can click on it to open your answer straight away and it also lets people answer questions from a while ago if there have been new questions since then) the question and reply in blue writing so we know it's an answer.

If you feel a question simply cannot be answered in one brief post, or is open for a lot of debate, create a topic to discuss it, and link the topic in your answer so everyone can find it.

• Supporters

Looking for a cheap set of Crye Multicam "replicas" for my UKSF kit. Are Emerson any good?

The multicam colouring on emerson stuff is 'off', it's much too green and boil washing them a bunch of times doesn't help!

I recommend Semapo Gear if you're after some good quality crye knockoffs!

No unfortunately, they only go over the left ear, which I can't use as I'm deaf in that one :/

Anyone know of an over ear headset which can be placed over my right ear that's not a ZTac Evo 3?

whats wrong with the Evo3. you can change which side the mic is on.

You could get a longer outer barrel. What gun is this for?

Was liking the look of the APS UAR (Version 2), but this was more of a general question as most of the guns i like the look of don't have the luxury of extended aftermarket outer barrels, so a faux suppressor hiding a longer barrel seems the only way to me

• Supporters

what would your reason for installing a longer barrel be?

I'll poo-poo the most common justification right now: a longer barrel in an airsoft gun does not equate to better range or more accuracy.

It is however a simple way to get a little more power out of the gun without changing anything else. So while it's true that, with the right spring and air seal, a short barrelled gun can outrange a longer one and, with a better hop and/or barrel*, achieve better accuracy, so long as the new longer inner barrel is of at least the same quality as that being replaced, you will see a little extra range.

*Both of which can improve range also.

But yes, a suppressor can be used to cover an extra length of internal barrel and wrapping tape around it to jam the new barrel tight into the outer barrel just before the suppressor will prevent wobble. This is potentially quite important to get right, because if you don't centre it neatly, or if anything force it down slightly, the BB will hit the inside of the suppressor once it exits the inner barrel. You'll also want to make sure the suppressor is attached to the barrel good and tight for the same reason - use PTFE tape.

Edited by Ian_Gere
the original question

whats wrong with the Evo3. you can change which side the mic is on.

Had an Evo 3, mic didn't work, apparently it's a common issue with Evo 3s

not had a problem with it. got the normal and throat mic for it.

Has anyone got any experience with this http://www.ebairsoft.com/6094-style-plate-carrier-pouches-p-6316.html, and would it be reasonably on an average 15 - 16 year old? Also what are plastic gas mags like? should i stay away from them or for £15 are they good? http://www.ebairsoft.com/plastic-light-weight-magazine-p-7356.html, http://www.ebairsoft.com/t-we-g17-gas-magazine-p-5174.html Sorry about all the questions ;)

• Supporters

No need to apologise for questions, GBM, that is what this thread is for! Your gas mag link is broken.

Ok, I'm not sure why the links are broken, but does anyone know what plastic gas mags are like anyway (we glock 17)

I dont think there is such a thing as plastic gas mags, it wouldnt be safe would it? I may be wrong here

I dont think there is such a thing as plastic gas mags, it wouldnt be safe would it? I may be wrong here

No need to apologise for questions, GBM, that is what this thread is for! Your gas mag link is broken.

That's what I thought mack, and that's why I'm questioning them. Try this link http://www.ebairsoft.com/plastic-light-weight-magazine-p-7356.html

• Supporters

That's what I thought mack, and that's why I'm questioning them. Try this link http://www.ebairsoft.com/plastic-light-weight-magazine-p-7356.html

That link works for me, but I don't actually have an opinion based on experience. One thing I will say is that plastic is likely to resist cooling in winter better than metal, so they may prove to be better for consistency.

• Supporters

I'd say the opposite is true, plastic is a much better insulator than metal. While the initial temperature will be marginally higher than with a metal magazine the plastic will prevent heat from reaching the liquid in the magazine, the metal in a gas mag works as a reverse heat sink... Plastic wouldn't be anything like as good.

• Supporters

^^That's a good point James, but if the metal mag is cold, because it's winter, then maybe not. I spose we shall need someone to buy one and compare it to metal - not me, I don't have the right pistol!

• Supporters

anyone know of a good foam filled suppressor? All the ones I see are bloody expensive...

thanks

Suppressors for airsoft is a complex subject, but if you are willing to trust me (as a professional sound engineer), your best bet is not to fill the tube with foam, but rather to create expansion chambers inside your suppressor. There is also a legal issue which is that in the UK it is illegal to create something which is intended to reduce the report of a firearm. For our purposes then, whatever you use internally must fail the first time a real bullet was fired through it.

If you don't want to go all sound nerd on it and build your own internals, the best way forward is a suppressor which has just 3 foam rings inside, so long as they are prevented from moving down the inside of the tube - this is surprisingly effective. The way to make it better is to remove the spring which holds the foam in place and create baffles with holes as tight as possible, which still allow the BB to pass through (bearing in mind that the BB has a tendency to rise as soon as it is free of the inner barrel). The baffles must not slip inside, but if they are made from something which is flexible, that flex is a means of absorbing a bit more sound energy than something stiff would.

Something to take note of however is that most of the noise AEG's or BASR's make is radiated directly out through the sides of the receiver, not down the barrel. I'm not sure if this is also the case for GBB's and GBBR's, but i suspect that the 'bolt' does make more noise than the pressure wave from the muzzle.

Suppressors for airsoft is a complex subject, but if you are willing to trust me (as a professional sound engineer), your best bet is not to fill the tube with foam, but rather to create expansion chambers inside your suppressor. There is also a legal issue which is that in the UK it is illegal to create something which is intended to reduce the report of a firearm. For our purposes then, whatever you use internally must fail the first time a real bullet was fired through it.

If you don't want to go all sound nerd on it and build your own internals, the best way forward is a suppressor which has just 3 foam rings inside, so long as they are prevented from moving down the inside of the tube - this is surprisingly effective. The way to make it better is to remove the spring which holds the foam in place and create baffles with holes as tight as possible, which still allow the BB to pass through (bearing in mind that the BB has a tendency to rise as soon as it is free of the inner barrel). The baffles must not slip inside, but if they are made from something which is flexible, that flex is a means of absorbing a bit more sound energy than something stiff would.

Something to take note of however is that most of the noise AEG's or BASR's make is radiated directly out through the sides of the receiver, not down the barrel. I'm not sure if this is also the case for GBB's and GBBR's, but i suspect that the 'bolt' does make more noise than the pressure wave from the muzzle.

ow, my head hurts lol.

ok, that's quite interesting really, yeah, I'm not worried about hte sound of AEG/GBB.

that website, never heard of it before, is it any good?

Oh yeah and also, would it be better to buy a long tube of foam and cut it down to size so it fits perfectly and stick it in there? I imagine that wouldn't be too difficult but would it have much effect, or the same as three foam rings and a spring?

• Supporters

ow, my head hurts lol.

ok, that's quite interesting really, yeah, I'm not worried about hte sound of AEG/GBB.

that website, never heard of it before, is it any good?

Oh yeah and also, would it be better to buy a long tube of foam and cut it down to size so it fits perfectly and stick it in there? I imagine that wouldn't be too difficult but would it have much effect, or the same as three foam rings and a spring?

A lot of the performance depends on how tight the hole through which the BB goes is. That one I linked to has 3 foam rings already, with a spring which fits the whole length of the inside and the foam rings are jammed in place against the turns of the spring.

If you fill the entire length of the suppressor with foam, the air which emerges from the inner barrel will have less room to expand into than in the 3 foam ring design, which means that the pressure wave will emerge from the suppressor muzzle much less altered.

That retailer was fine to buy from for me - but that single suppressor purchase is the only business i've done with them. BTW it also comes in black.

I'm feeling a bit unwell right now and i have to get on a train in a couple of hours, so I can't be arsed to draw you a diagram, but later tonight or tomorrow i will.

A lot of the performance depends on how tight the hole through which the BB goes is. That one I linked to has 3 foam rings already, with a spring which fits the whole length of the inside and the foam rings are jammed in place against the turns of the spring.

If you fill the entire length of the suppressor with foam, the air which emerges from the inner barrel will have less room to expand into than in the 3 foam ring design, which means that the pressure wave will emerge from the suppressor muzzle much less altered.

That retailer was fine to buy from for me - but that single suppressor purchase is the only business i've done with them. BTW it also comes in black.

I'm feeling a bit unwell right now and i have to get on a train in a couple of hours, so I can't be arsed to draw you a diagram, but later tonight or tomorrow i will.

hope you feel better mate :) and don't worry if it is any problems, your helping me a lot :D

would you happen to know if it is CW/CCW thread? thanks for the help btw :D

• Supporters

hope you feel better mate :) and don't worry if it is any problems, your helping me a lot :D

would you happen to know if it is CW/CCW thread? thanks for the help btw :D

CCW

I'm still feeling a bit rough now I'm home so it'll be 2moz before I'm much use to man or beast. I'll do it when i get back from the quack... always plenty of time sitting around doing fuck all in the waiting room, so i'll think about how best to draw it lol!