Quick Questions & Simple Answers.

Finius
Message added by Jedi_Master

When you ask a question please do so using red writing that way, it's easy for people scrolling down to find a question.

When you answer a question, please quote (this will make sure the person gets a notification and they can click on it to open your answer straight away and it also lets people answer questions from a while ago if there have been new questions since then) the question and reply in blue writing so we know it's an answer.

If you feel a question simply cannot be answered in one brief post, or is open for a lot of debate, create a topic to discuss it, and link the topic in your answer so everyone can find it.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Also: Is there a difference between RC batteries and airsoft, apart from maybe the C rating?  

Can't help on stock levels but as far as LiPo for RC and LiPo for Airsoft...no. No difference. RC ones may be of slightly higher quality, if they have Tamiya connectors they'll be opposite polarity. Otherwise, a 2 cell, 7.4v LiPo is a 2 cell 7.4v LiPo whether it says RC or Airsoft on the side.

34 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Can't help on stock levels but as far as LiPo for RC and LiPo for Airsoft...no. No difference. RC ones may be of slightly higher quality, if they have Tamiya connectors they'll be opposite polarity. Otherwise, a 2 cell, 7.4v LiPo is a 2 cell 7.4v LiPo whether it says RC or Airsoft on the side.

Ah yeah, it's the Tamiya polarity thing that must have been nagging in the back of my mind. 
Not a problem as it'll be Deans
Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/06/2022 at 07:15, Floperator said:

Thread lock isn't going to work very well if the threads aren't engaged properly, perhaps try some PTFE tape to build it up a bit?

I finally got round to this and ptfe tape did the trick, thanks

A side-question about the Cyma M14 (CM.032, not the SOCOM version)... the length of pull (trigger to butt plate) feels very short at ~13".  I researched on t'web and the Garand had a LoP of 16.5"
Have the airsoft versions (both TM and Cyma) been scaled down for Asian markets, 7/8th scale perhaps, to make them more sellable in that market?

Hah.  To answer my own question, the M14 had a shorter LoP than the Garand.  At (drum-roll) 13.5"
Why didn't I search for that instead of the Garand M1?   Answers on a postcard to Mr Silly Sausage, Table 27, Super Sausage Cafe, Towcester.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Why is the image size limit so small for posting on the forum.  Using a current smart phone my pictures are too large to post now

Anyone tried Gorilla Strike Airsoft in Earl Shilton and if so any good experience?

Cheers :)

• Moderators

Need a new battery charger, one that can charge more than 1 at a time 

Any recommendations, there was one people said was good, can’t access site on work laptop so can’t search easily for it

I’ve been using a kong charger via balance leads from Firesupport since 2015 so feel it’s time to upgrade now 👍

On 24/07/2022 at 11:00, MagpieTactical said:

Why is the image size limit so small for posting on the forum.  Using a current smart phone my pictures are too large to post now

I’ve found that I need to go through some of my older posts and delete any pics I have posted

But until you do that, I believe if you “screenshot” the image you want to post, it reduces the resolution allowing you to post it up 👍

On 30/06/2022 at 15:02, RostokMcSpoons said:

Possibly silly question:  I'm looking for a new 7.4v battery with a Deans connector, preferably a fairly small stick one that'll fit any of my guns. 

My usual places seem to be out of stock - any recommended retailers?   As I seem to be good at killing / abusing batteries I'd rather they were disposably cheap, and preferably > 1200mAH
Also: Is there a difference between RC batteries and airsoft, apart from maybe the C rating?  

I know this is a late reply but I absolutely love www.componentshop.co.uk - I've been buying from them for over a decade. They'll swap out any connector for deans for 50p, and I've honestly ordered a battery like, 15 minutes before the cutoff for next-day delivery and they still swapped it to deans!

They can also make custom battery packs to spec, for no charge - but I don't think that would apply to LiPos, but it's come in handy for me in the past with NimH

Edited by DrAlexanderTobacco

On 28/07/2022 at 09:08, Enid_Puceflange said:

I’ve found that I need to go through some of my older posts and delete any pics I have posted

But until you do that, I believe if you “screenshot” the image you want to post, it reduces the resolution allowing you to post it up 👍

I ran into the same thing, then I thought about and checked my attachments.   We've got a 100MB limit on our attachments, the tiny size you're being told is the max size is whatever you've got left of that allotment.   So yeah, go back and delete some old / big pictures and you'll be fine.
What is best to do, if you can be bothered, is find the big ones and replace them in the threads with smaller or more compressed versions so you don't lose the usefulness of those old posts... but I think I'll be just deleting the images that don't have much intrinsic value.
And going forward I'll be pasting screenshots into Paint.Net, saving them as JPGs and reducing the size and quality within there.  I can then use the 'choose file' option to insert pics that are now often < 100K in size, and yet still a decent size in the post.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

On 24/07/2022 at 11:00, MagpieTactical said:

On 28/07/2022 at 09:08, Enid_Puceflange said:

2 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I ran into the same thing, then I thought about and checked my attachments.   We've got a 100MB limit on our attachments, the tiny size you're being told is the max size is whatever you've got left of that allotment.   So yeah, go back and delete some old / big pictures and you'll be fine.
What is best to do, if you can be bothered, is find the big ones and replace them in the threads with smaller or more compressed versions so you don't lose the usefulness of those old posts... but I think I'll be just deleting the images that don't have much intrinsic value.
And going forward I'll be pasting screenshots into Paint.Net, saving them as JPGs and reducing the size and quality within there.  I can then use the 'choose file' option to insert pics that are now often < 100K in size, and yet still a decent size in the post.

What they said up above…….

Except that screenshots might have the opposite effect in some cases these days ….

On my iPhone I’ve just tested out a photo & screenshotted it - original photo size 5.2mb, screenshot of it 12.3mb

I use ‘image size’ to downscale images on my phone, and when my limit was low I did a first stab at deleting old unwanted image attachments then downsized others 

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/image-size/id670766542

• 1 month later...

I've got a Parker Hale cleaning rod with the pull-through attachment, but that's always a slight faff to find some cotton and cut it to size etc... so I thought I'd pick up a mop and a brush from good ol' Ant Supplies.  
https://www.ant-supplies.uk/maintenance-and-care/uk-spec-rod-attachments/british-thread-rifle-rod-fittings.html

Question is... what size(s)?  They have 0.22" or 0.243" (and 6mm for a couple of 'em).  The mop will have to be 0.243", it's the only size they've got in stock - is that ok? 
For a nylon brush should I go with slightly too small, or slightly too large?

• Supporters
2 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I've got a Parker Hale cleaning rod with the pull-through attachment, but that's always a slight faff to find some cotton and cut it to size etc... so I thought I'd pick up a mop and a brush from good ol' Ant Supplies.  
https://www.ant-supplies.uk/maintenance-and-care/uk-spec-rod-attachments/british-thread-rifle-rod-fittings.html

Question is... what size(s)?  They have 0.22" or 0.243" (and 6mm for a couple of 'em).  The mop will have to be 0.243", it's the only size they've got in stock - is that ok? 
For a nylon brush should I go with slightly too small, or slightly too large?

Their own conversion table says:

Calibre ~ mm Calibre ~ inches Wool Mop & Nylon Brushes Brass & Bronze Brushes Tornado Spiral Brushes
4.5mm .17, .177, 6 Flobert 6.50mm 5.2mm
5.5mm-5.6mm-5.56mm .222, .223 8.00mm 6.50mm 5.70mm
6mm-6.35mm-6.5mm .243 8.50mm 7.30mm 6.50mm
7mm-7.5mm 7RM, .270 10.00mm 8.20mm 7.20mm
7.62mm-7.65mm .30, .300, 30-06, .308 11.00mm 8.50mm 7.90mm
8mm .32 11.00mm 9.20mm 8.15mm
9mm-9.3mm .38, .338, .357, .375 12.00mm 10.50mm 9.00mm
10mm .40 13.00mm 12.00mm 10.30mm
12mm .44, .45, .470 15.00mm 13.00mm 12.00mm
12.7mm .50 16.00mm 14.00mm
14mm .55 17.00mm 15.00mm 13.80mm
TOLERANCES +/- 1.0mm +/- 0.5mm +/- 0.2mm

So yeah, the 0.243" calibre mop will be fine. Not sure you'll need a nylon brush unless your barrels are getting particularly shitty.

Now why didn't I spot that?  Because I didn't scroll down very far... 
Anyway, thanks - good info!

Never underestimate the likelihood of 'shitty'  ;D    Knowing my luck, my office will have an infestation of ants and they'll do a dirty protest in there!

• 3 weeks later...

Where do people go for original TM replacement parts? I'm trying to find a TM g18c frame but everywhere sells guarder or aftermarket frames, but nowhere sells TM ones. Or am I drawing a blank because of trademark issues? Cheers

2 hours ago, Daveoc33 said:

Where do people go for original TM replacement parts? I'm trying to find a TM g18c frame but everywhere sells guarder or aftermarket frames, but nowhere sells TM ones. Or am I drawing a blank because of trademark issues? Cheers

If it’s the lower frame eagle 6 have one in stock 

https://eagle6.co.uk/shop/catalog/product/view/id/1852/s/tokyo-marui-g18c-lower-frame-black-for-g18c-gas-blowback-pistol-series/

28 minutes ago, mintsauce5 said:

Thank you! Wow that's expensive. I was after a TM part because I was expecting to be cheaper than the guarder. Fire support have the TM frames out of stock at £10 a pop. But maybe that price is from years ago. If that's the going rate I'll probably be better off with a guarder :)

55 minutes ago, Daveoc33 said:

Thank you! Wow that's expensive. I was after a TM part because I was expecting to be cheaper than the guarder. Fire support have the TM frames out of stock at £10 a pop. But maybe that price is from years ago. If that's the going rate I'll probably be better off with a guarder :)

Have a look on Rainbow 8 for original TM or Guarder

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Anyone watch TWD?, curious as to what goggles the commonwealth ‘army’ wear?, ESS?, Revision?

• Supporters
22 minutes ago, djben9 said:

Anyone watch TWD?, curious as to what goggles the commonwealth ‘army’ wear?, ESS?, Revision?

Dunno, you planning on doing a load out to match  ?

• Supporters
On 15/10/2022 at 13:02, djben9 said:

The wiggly lines on the side look very much like Bolle to me

968225302_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.cd7389bb31d7d82dbc8dd65b93331ca1.jpg

intro-1648053904.jpg.9aac553fc35b55edd9c39c26b54992f6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...