Quick Questions & Simple Answers.

Finius
Message added by Jedi_Master

When you ask a question please do so using red writing that way, it's easy for people scrolling down to find a question.

When you answer a question, please quote (this will make sure the person gets a notification and they can click on it to open your answer straight away and it also lets people answer questions from a while ago if there have been new questions since then) the question and reply in blue writing so we know it's an answer.

If you feel a question simply cannot be answered in one brief post, or is open for a lot of debate, create a topic to discuss it, and link the topic in your answer so everyone can find it.

16 minutes ago, Seagal99 said:

I’ve just bought a CYMA CM.350 (spring pump action) from Bullseye County Sports. I’ve only run 2 shell mags through and it’s stopped working?!? (Using ASG bbs) Pumps gone loose so won’t rack forwards and no trigger pull. Would cold weather affect a spring shottie or have I just got a dud? I need to get on to Bullseye and get replaced?

Lemon ratio for cyma shorties is quite high. Send it back

• Supporters
19 minutes ago, Seagal99 said:

I’ve just bought a CYMA CM.350 (spring pump action) from Bullseye County Sports. I’ve only run 2 shell mags through and it’s stopped working?!? (Using ASG bbs) Pumps gone loose so won’t rack forwards and no trigger pull. Would cold weather affect a spring shottie or have I just got a dud? I need to get on to Bullseye and get replaced?

Sadly, they're pretty fragile.  I'm not entirely clear on the problem you're having, but would note that the pump has to be fully forwards before the trigger will activate.  Since it's currently stuffed, I'd give it a good old heave and slam in both directions.  If you start disassembling, you'll end up with an awful lot of small parts and are unlikely to find replacements for any broken bits, so I'd avoid that unless Bullseye don't fancy taking the return.

27 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Sadly, they're pretty fragile.  I'm not entirely clear on the problem you're having, but would note that the pump has to be fully forwards before the trigger will activate.  Since it's currently stuffed, I'd give it a good old heave and slam in both directions.  If you start disassembling, you'll end up with an awful lot of small parts and are unlikely to find replacements for any broken bits, so I'd avoid that unless Bullseye don't fancy taking the return.

Cheers. I’ll give it a good few solid racks and if no joy try send it back.

21 hours ago, Seagal99 said:

Cheers. I’ll give it a good few solid racks and if no joy try send it back.

Quick update. So turns out there were a couple of bbs stuck inside the hop but it took a lot of fiddling to get them out as I’d already tried clearing the barrels. One of the bbs that came out was quite chewed up, so I don’t know what caused that! Then on the next fire test (only loaded 3 bbs in the mag) same thing happened, so pretty sure it’s a dud gun. Contacting Bullseye to get it resolved. 

• Supporters

Yarp, the feeding is problematical.  Mine would try to feed a whole shell full of BBs into the barrels, that sounds similar to what you're seeing.  You'll hear folk giving the iPhone excuse - "ur holdang it rong!!!" - but that's victimblaming.

When I finally got it all apart (being too dumb and stubborn to send it back) I couldn't see what the problem was, so I just gave everything a good wiggle and silicone lube and put it back together, and it's been fine since (so I wasn't donging it wrang).  They're really not intended to be stripped down though, there are dozens of tiny screws going into cheap plastic, so I'd agree with just returning it.

Anybody know of an adapter to fit an AK stock to a buffer tube mount?

Plenty the other way, M4 to AK, but I can’t find a reverse one, any idea?

cheers

• Supporters
3 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Anybody know of an adapter to fit an AK stock to a buffer tube mount?

Plenty the other way, M4 to AK, but I can’t find a reverse one, any idea?

cheers

What style of AK stock?

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Thanks bud, Zenico

I don't think there is on account of the trunion mounting on the Zenitco stocks. Literally trying to get a square peg into a round hole.

You might be able to Macgyver something together with this though: https://www.ant-supplies.uk/rifle-accessories/ar-folding-stock-adapters.html

If you can modify the hinge pin on the Zenitco maybe?

3 hours ago, Lozart said:

I don't think there is on account of the trunion mounting on the Zenitco stocks. Literally trying to get a square peg into a round hole.

You might be able to Macgyver something together with this though: https://www.ant-supplies.uk/rifle-accessories/ar-folding-stock-adapters.html

If you can modify the hinge pin on the Zenitco maybe?

Ha, I’ll design something properly, not bodging anything, I didn’t want to bother if there was one available 👍🏻

Are the dust cover caps on scope turrets a standard size?

Are they available for sale anywhere? 

I need some replacements for an old Viking air rifle scope, the thread is 22.4mm diameter, if I measured it right. 

Silly question perhaps... when people are selling gear or showing off loadouts, I see a lot of magazines with tape around them in 'non-Tactical' colours...
Is that just for ease of identification so you can spot yours if someone else picks one up? 
Or is to more easily spot them if they're on the ground? 

Should I be doing it too?

(yub yub, fnarrr fnarrr)

How often does it actually help???

17 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

Silly question perhaps... when people are selling gear or showing off loadouts, I see a lot of magazines with tape around them in 'non-Tactical' colours...
Is that just for ease of identification so you can spot yours if someone else picks one up? 

Should I be doing it too?

(yub yub, fnarrr fnarrr)

How often does it actually help???

I do it for identification in case I drop one. 

Though some of my mags have it at the top because the mag well on my gun is a little large so it prevents wobble and misfeeding. 

6 minutes ago, Badgerlicious said:

I do it for identification in case I drop one. 

Though some of my mags have it at the top because the mag well on my gun is a little large so it prevents wobble and misfeeding. 

Ah, I fixed the wobble with a velcro sticky pad inside the mag well on mine, but I guess if you have a mix of mag manufacturers then each one could need a different amount of packing.

I'm the sort of guy who frets about camouflage, so I won't be sticking bright colours on my mags anytime soon.   But perhaps a bit of light grey electrician's tape I have will do the trick.
It's a bit silly of me really, all my other kits is a real mish-mash of black / black camo / olive / S95 DPM / multi cam.   Probably not very effective!   And then someone sticks a big bit of yellow or blue tape on my arm as well, and I'm worrying about my mags :D

3 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

...I see a lot of magazines with tape around them in 'non-Tactical' colours...

Both are very good reasons.  If you don't want to lose your mags its worth putting some colour and maybe a bit of sharpie on them.

If you're so worried about camo then use red tape as that colour doesn't show up at distance but will help if its lying on the ground.

Your initials in sharpie will help identification in case someone finds it.

Edited by EDcase

First attempt at weathering not gone so great. I stipped the paint off the top slide of a pistol and painted 5-6 coats of nuprol UFP allowing a day between each coat for it to dry. When sanding down the edges of the slide the paint is coming off in small flakes giving a jagged edge to the weathering. The lower of the pistol, with it's factory paint, is much tougher and not flaking at all and lets me get some very neat fine weathering. What did I do wrong? Should I have used a primer?

42 minutes ago, Daveoc33 said:

First attempt at weathering not gone so great. I stipped the paint off the top slide of a pistol and painted 5-6 coats of nuprol UFP allowing a day between each coat for it to dry. When sanding down the edges of the slide the paint is coming off in small flakes giving a jagged edge to the weathering. The lower of the pistol, with it's factory paint, is much tougher and not flaking at all and lets me get some very neat fine weathering. What did I do wrong? Should I have used a primer?

Depending on the paint and the material you might need a primer or adhesion promoter. The tearing sounds like the paint might have been too thick and has skinned, with the other dry but softer material under the skin.

Prep is always the key to success with paint; clean old coating, key and degrease, primer/adhesion layer, paint in thin layers so it doesn't skin and prevent cure.

I'd clean it all off and have another go, possibly change paints to something more recognised, krylon  etc.

Edited by concretesnail

5 hours ago, Daveoc33 said:

Yep, as @concretesnailsaid, something went wrong with the prep of the bare metal so the first coat didn't adhere properly.

You'll have to take it all off then rough up the surface with some heavy steel wool (you can get at the pound shop for cleaning pots & pans) or around 400 grit sandpaper.

Then degrease the whole thing with Isopropyl alcohol or kitchen degreaser.

A primer coat will ensure good results because that's what its for but you could try a thin layer of paint straight away and then test it to see if it stays.

Oh and don't use Nuprol paint.  Use car spray paints (Enamel)

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters
14 minutes ago, EDcase said:

don't use Nuprol paint

The amazing part is that it didn't spontaneously combust.

I'd fully expect to have to use an acid etch primer on whatever random monkey-metal any airsoft toy has been made from.

Is there "mini gas capsules" somewhere out in the world for re-gassing on the field? 

I have seen the mini gas bottles (Abbey Pred mini) but I was thinking something I can refill from the bottom and re-gas from the top.

37 minutes ago, Thedadoodle said:

Is there "mini gas capsules" somewhere out in the world for re-gassing on the field? 

I have seen the mini gas bottles (Abbey Pred mini) but I was thinking something I can refill from the bottom and re-gas from the top.

There are dummy grenades about that are actually gas reservoirs

14 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

There are dummy grenades about that are actually gas reservoirs

I dont suppose you would be able to link me one, when you get time please

53 minutes ago, Thedadoodle said:

I dont suppose you would be able to link me one, when you get time please

Honestly not seen one of those for sale in years new or second hand. pretty sure VFC made one.