Quick Questions & Simple Answers.

Finius
Message added by Jedi_Master

When you ask a question please do so using red writing that way, it's easy for people scrolling down to find a question.

When you answer a question, please quote (this will make sure the person gets a notification and they can click on it to open your answer straight away and it also lets people answer questions from a while ago if there have been new questions since then) the question and reply in blue writing so we know it's an answer.

If you feel a question simply cannot be answered in one brief post, or is open for a lot of debate, create a topic to discuss it, and link the topic in your answer so everyone can find it.

Im sure its been asked a 1000 times but I can't find it on here. My back up m4 is a g & g raider I've changed the barrel to a madbul v2 6.03 apart from that it's stock. I want to improve the range on it maybe change the hop up unit on it. What is the best one to get for this. On my kings Arms I have a stock hop up wulith h nub and tm bucking and the range is outstanding and it only shoots at 320 fps but I know other people that have had real problems with a h nub so not sure if to try it again. In my kings Arms I superglue the h nub in as was advised by a mate and he was not wrong but this was a few years ago now so I'm sure there is better ways now

• Supporters

Is a madbull clear bucking good with a madbull barrel?

The clear Shark bucking is very easy to tear. Be very careful when fitting it that you get the barrel aligned into the hop chamber properly 1st time, because if you have to pull it back out, the bucking may well tear. TBH there are better buckings out there: Maple Leaf 60 degree, or 50 degree if you can find one. Or Prometheus Soft (purple). The Madbull buckings can be good if you have BB double feed issues mind. Another good idea is to wrap the forward part of a Madbull/Prometheus bucking in PTFE tape, so that the tape doesn't cover the barrel window area of rubber, grease the PTFE tape with CT-2 Teflon grease, or any silicone grease: this will improve the seal between the rubber and barrel which improves consistency of shot power thus accuracy, but also ought to help prevent a tear in the rubber.

WE mags work very well in TM glocks and are generally a bit cheaper, I tagged mine onto a Taiwan gun order for about £17 a piece.

[eta] http://www.taiwangun.com/en/gas-pistol-magazines/green-gas-magazine-for-we-g17-g18-g34-g35-we?from=listing&campaign-id=19

Gosh they don't stay in stock long, I was going to buy three next weekend, but already they're gone.

The clear Shark bucking is very easy to tear. Be very careful when fitting it that you get the barrel aligned into the hop chamber properly 1st time, because if you have to pull it back out, the bucking may well tear. TBH there are better buckings out there: Maple Leaf 60 degree, or 50 degree if you can find one. Or Prometheus Soft (purple). The Madbull buckings can be good if you have BB double feed issues mind. Another good idea is to wrap the forward part of a Madbull/Prometheus bucking in PTFE tape, so that the tape doesn't cover the barrel window area of rubber, grease the PTFE tape with CT-2 Teflon grease, or any silicone grease: this will improve the seal between the rubber and barrel which improves consistency of shot power thus accuracy, but also ought to help prevent a tear in the rubber.

Thanks ive got ptfe tape on it at the moment with the green G&G bucking it came with. But the range is not that good so it needs some work

• Supporters

Thanks ive got ptfe tape on it at the moment with the green G&G bucking it came with. But the range is not that good so it needs some work

Well those G&G green buckings are pretty good, so if you've tried cleaning the barrel properly and the range is still crap, it's likely that it is worn out. You could simply replace it with another the same, but for the difference in price may as well get a really good rubber...

I'd recommend using alcohol swabs for injection to clean the barrel - they're about £2 posted from fleabay.

Well those G&G green buckings are pretty good, so if you've tried cleaning the barrel properly and the range is still crap, it's likely that it is worn out. You could simply replace it with another the same, but for the difference in price may as well get a really good rubber...

I'd recommend using alcohol swabs for injection to clean the barrel - they're about £2 posted from fleabay.

It's fairly new don't really used that gun because of range so want to prove it to get some use out of it thinking of changing the h nub as have that in my main gun

WE mags work very well in TM glocks and are generally a bit cheaper, I tagged mine onto a Taiwan gun order for about £17 a piece.

[eta] http://www.taiwangun.com/en/gas-pistol-magazines/green-gas-magazine-for-we-g17-g18-g34-g35-we?from=listing&campaign-id=19

I was gonna grab 4 next monday, but they're gone already.

Cheers have you got a link to the alcohol swabs I take it it's fine for the bucking?

Is it this http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=380711904518&alt=web

• Supporters

It's fairly new don't really used that gun because of range so want to prove it to get some use out of it thinking of changing the h nub as have that in my main gun

H nubs are for increased accuracy - there would have to be something badly wrong with the standard nub for an H to increase range with 0.2-0.36g BB's. Either that or you can get more hop on to the heaviest BB's which an ordinary nub wouldn't lift to their full potential.

Cheers have you got a link to the alcohol swabs I take it it's fine for the bucking?

Is it this http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=380711904518&alt=web

I buy them in 100's for £1.89 - better value. Yeah, they're fine on the rubber - in fact they're very good because they'll clean any traces of particulates of grease/oil which get blasted out of the cylinder. They're best used on the end of those standard plastic cleaning rods with the needle-eye type slot in one end (airsoftworld.net) - I open the swab into the rectangle the 2 layers form and cut it into 2 squares, because a whole swab is a bit much to stuff down the barrel; take it all the way down to the hop chamber and give it a good spin; keep spinning as you slowly withdraw it; repeat until a swab comes out clean...

H nubs are for increased accuracy - there would have to be something badly wrong with the standard nub for an H to increase range with 0.2-0.36g BB's. Either that or you can get more hop on to the heaviest BB's which an ordinary nub wouldn't lift to their full potential.

I buy them in 100's for £1.89 - better value. Yeah, they're fine on the rubber - in fact they're very good because they'll clean any traces of particulates of grease/oil which get blasted out of the cylinder. They're best used on the end of those standard plastic cleaning rods with the needle-eye type slot in one end (airsoftworld.net) - I open the swab into the rectangle the 2 layers form and cut it into 2 squares, because a whole swab is a bit much to stuff down the barrel; take it all the way down to the hop chamber and give it a good spin; keep spinning as you slowly withdraw it; repeat until a swab comes out clean...

Nice one cheers dude it's always good to pick up new tricks

• Root Admin

Depends on a bunch of things. The Biro mod isn't a one-size-fits-all solution to hop arms, but that's what it's for - providing a firm nub or extension to a hop arm where there simply isn't enough material to press the hop up rubber enough. In the VSR, for example, it provides an even surface that the original arm didn't. In an AEG there are generally better ways of applying pressure. M Nubs are good for a totally nub, but then it comes down to your bucking because they're not ideal for conventional ones and can require the hop lever to be modified so they stay flat. Equally the Biro mod isn't ideal on standard nubs as a lot of the medium and softer ones are designed to flex slightly when in contact with the BB (indeed they all are).

Yes, it can be any ballpoint. The bit you want is about the top few centimetres of the plastic cylinder that holds the ink (take it from the very top or you'll end up pretty messy). You then cut this down to suit your hop unit.

I guess the quick answer to your question would be 'no' - the Bic mod alone won't improve your range.

I think I saw you post in that thread with the other guy who had range problems before. First off, take the advice in that thread we gave to the other guy if you can and get yourself on .25s ASAP if you've not already. Secondly, check your hop bucking is clean from any silicone and not torn. Thirdly, look down the inner barrel when you have it removed and check the rubber is actually protruding as it should. Remember, you want to be able to place a BB in there and have it stay even when the barrel is pointing down. If it's not even at that stage you are dramatically underhopping.

From there it's just a case of fine tuning. Go early to a game, set up a target and dial in the hop. If your FPS is consistent and around 320-350, then the only thing that can be affecting your trajectory is either the weight of the BB, the amount of backspin it's getting from the hop and the condition of the barrel. Assuming your barrel isn't completely bent, you should be getting at least 40m with even the most half-arsed hop adjustments.

Depends on a bunch of things. The Biro mod isn't a one-size-fits-all solution to hop arms, but that's what it's for - providing a firm nub or extension to a hop arm where there simply isn't enough material to press the hop up rubber enough. In the VSR, for example, it provides an even surface that the original arm didn't. In an AEG there are generally better ways of applying pressure. M Nubs are good for a totally nub, but then it comes down to your bucking because they're not ideal for conventional ones and can require the hop lever to be modified so they stay flat. Equally the Biro mod isn't ideal on standard nubs as a lot of the medium and softer ones are designed to flex slightly when in contact with the BB (indeed they all are).

Yes, it can be any ballpoint. The bit you want is about the top few centimetres of the plastic cylinder that holds the ink (take it from the very top or you'll end up pretty messy). You then cut this down to suit your hop unit.

I guess the quick answer to your question would be 'no' - the Bic mod alone won't improve your range.

I think I saw you post in that thread with the other guy who had range problems before. First off, take the advice in that thread we gave to the other guy if you can and get yourself on .25s ASAP if you've not already. Secondly, check your hop bucking is clean from any silicone and not torn. Thirdly, look down the inner barrel when you have it removed and check the rubber is actually protruding as it should. Remember, you want to be able to place a BB in there and have it stay even when the barrel is pointing down. If it's not even at that stage you are dramatically underhopping.

From there it's just a case of fine tuning. Go early to a game, set up a target and dial in the hop. If your FPS is consistent and around 320-350, then the only thing that can be affecting your trajectory is either the weight of the BB, the amount of backspin it's getting from the hop and the condition of the barrel. Assuming your barrel isn't completely bent, you should be getting at least 40m with even the most half-arsed hop adjustments.

I have taken the advice got the alcohol swabs on order to make sure my barrel is clean it's a madbul v2 6.03 just don't think the hop is very good on it when II fitted the barrel I found the hop spring was missing to post the hop onto the body I'm using a pen spring instead. Just don't get as good range as my main gun so don't use it. I do the basics of cleaning the barrel adjusting the hop and use 0.25 anyway but thank you for all the advice I was just after tips.

I left my VSR 11 out in the rain for a game and now it has a weird white powder inside and out the hop unit. Has no range be just violently curves down with no hop, Spring not worn and have firefly nub installed. Checked barrel for imperfections and tried using degreaser for removing white powder. I don't use bios either. On mobile can't change colour.

I have taken the advice got the alcohol swabs on order to make sure my barrel is clean it's a madbul v2 6.03 just don't think the hop is very good on it when II fitted the barrel I found the hop spring was missing to post the hop onto the body I'm using a pen spring instead. Just don't get as good range as my main gun so don't use it. I do the basics of cleaning the barrel adjusting the hop and use 0.25 anyway but thank you for all the advice I was just after tips.

careful with using any kind of solvent with those barrels, they're made from aluminium so they have a Teflon coating that comes off easily, looks like a white powder when dried.

careful with using any kind of solvent with those barrels, they're made from aluminium so they have a Teflon coating that comes off easily, looks like a white powder when dried.

Oh so it's not safe to use then? I thought that was the v1 barrels not the v2 that flakes. So alcohol wipes would take the coating off?

Well I used nail polish remover and it flaked, so I just tcut it whigh f*cked it so I bought a new one. Used nail polish again and it's been fine for a month, I guess their quality control from batch to batch ain't the best. Tbh I might have gone overboard with the nail polish remover since it melted my cleaning rod. Just be careful, use something that doesn't leave any residue.

• Supporters

I would not recommend using nail polish remover to clean airsoft barrels, especially the type with acetone in, as i expect it would denaturise the hop rubber. Isopropyl alcohol is a whole different kettle of fish however and is literally perfect in that it degreases very well without leaving a residue and also come prepacked on perfect sized swabs.

That VSR 11 of your, ricefarmer, sounds very much like it has become the victim of some dodgy industrial/acid rain - i suspect that you'll have to disassemble the hop chamber and barrel to do a proper scrub clean - start with silicone oil on lint free cloth to remove the powder; move on to soapy water to get rid of the oil; allow to dry; then finish with alcohol swabs to get the last traces of soap out.

• Supporters

That VSR 11 of your, ricefarmer, sounds very much like it has become the victim of some dodgy industrial/acid rain - i suspect that you'll have to disassemble the hop chamber and barrel to do a proper scrub clean - start with silicone oil on lint free cloth to remove the powder; move on to soapy water to get rid of the oil; allow to dry; then finish with alcohol swabs to get the last traces of soap out.

I personally would just get rid of the hop rubber, hop nub and the barrel. Bot sure what the hop up is made of sniper rifles are something I am not overly familiar with, but if its plastic or has plastic parts I would dump that as well.

Never clean your gun with anything containing acetone its like acid for plastics.

At least its only a madbull barrel they are crap anyway.

Yeah I always strip the hop unit before cleaning barrels, it's a shoddy clone of a tm vsr so cba to upgrade it. Left it out in Bristol so I have no idea where the acid rain came from (sarcasm). But in general are Orga barrels better than a Prometheus?

• Root Admin

But in general are Orga barrels better than a Prometheus?

The two are comparable in quality and hold the top spot along with PDI. Both make steel and brass barrels, though some Prometheus barrels are also marketed under Laylax and First Factory.