Upgrading a Marui Recoil shock Scar

ItsAJ

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, out of curiosity I wondered if you could upgrade the scar with just a m90 spring. I know alot of people and threads say if you upgrade a TM Recoil it normally needs new shims etc but would you need all that just for a m90 spring? It's not much of a jump and I can't imagine the stress would be much more. I am asking as if I could have my scar shooting at 328fps or close it would be swell, maybe it would be the wrong spring strength? Let me know what you think. I know eagle6 do specific recoil shock springs :)

• Supporters

Personally I'd just leave it alone to be honest but up to 328ish would be fine, mines at something like 340 I think. Not to say my power upgrade has had any adverse effect, I just don't think the bother produces a big enough return to bother taking it all apart- a bit of a ball-ache on the scar.

TF, the gearbox cases can take it is what I was talking about when I said 450, with stock internals (gears etc) it won't last long at those levels though. The point I was making at the time is that they are upgradable guns which some people don't realise.

Stock they shoot at 290-300

OP's on the 1J limit anyway so there's not much left to improve unless you want to squeeze every single bit of performance out of it or want to go for a joule creep build.

I'd say leave it alone,in a 1J country Marui are kings of the stock gun(and tend to be better than most of the half-arsed 'upgraded' guns you see about)

If you want extra power get a 6.03 tightbore,even that could get you to illegal power.

Personally I'd just leave it alone to be honest but up to 328ish would be fine, mines at something like 340 I think. Not to say my power upgrade has had any adverse effect, I just don't think the bother produces a big enough return to bother taking it all apart- a bit of a ball-ache on the scar.

TF, the gearbox cases can take it is what I was talking about when I said 450, with stock internals (gears etc) it won't last long at those levels though. The point I was making at the time is that they are upgradable guns which some people don't realise.

So at around 328 everything else stock would be fine then :)?

I'm just wondering because I seen the special recoil springs on eagle6 and it seemed like a good idea. Basically trying to get as best a 1j aeg as I can.

yeah, a tightbore will bring you up to about 320-325 ish, (did with my SCAR). Absolutely no need to touch the gearbox to get that kind of performance increase.

See I always thought that, but then I opened a can of worms at the nearest shop when I said that. They said to me no a wider bore is better for fps as there is less friction while a tightbore is better for accuracy at a slight cost to fps.

In my head I though well a tight bore means less escaped air pressure for a higher fps but he didn't agree with the friction taking away from it.

Well I did watch a few vids and it is alot easier to change a barrel than the spring so whats the best barrell then I could get? Also when you upgraded yours did you put on the barrel extender and have the inner barrel running right up or did you just stay with the smaller stock size?

• Supporters

See I always thought that, but then I opened a can of worms at the nearest shop when I said that. They said to me no a wider bore is better for fps as there is less friction while a tightbore is better for accuracy at a slight cost to fps.

In my head I though well a tight bore means less escaped air pressure for a higher fps but he didn't agree with the friction taking away from it.

Well I did watch a few vids and it is alot easier to change a barrel than the spring so whats the best barrell then I could get? Also when you upgraded yours did you put on the barrel extender and have the inner barrel running right up or did you just stay with the smaller stock size?

They clearly don't have a scooby-do! It's generally accepted that a wider bore is marginally more accurate (you're not going to notice the difference in reality) while a tighter bore increases FPS. I had the long version of the SCAR-L so I just swapped the stock 367mm barrel for a 363mm madbull one. The SCAR-H has a 300mm inner barrel and the cylinder will be matched to that length so I'd recommend sticking with it. Madbull Black Python 6.03mm barrels are the best price/performance available, but the absolute BEST inner barrels are prometheus (albeit at twice the cost!).

If you're after getting close to 328fps bare in mind that not every site has a 100% accurate chrono and some will read high, so while your gun might be shooting 1J on the dot you may end up failing if their chrono reads high. I always like to have a bit of a buffer of 5-10% to account for this, as no site owner is going to take your word for it, they'll go off the little LCD screen on the back of their £30 madbull chrono.

So at around 328 everything else stock would be fine then :)?

I'm just wondering because I seen the special recoil springs on eagle6 and it seemed like a good idea. Basically trying to get as best a 1j aeg as I can.

He's got it the other way round,but he's close,yet far :L. Accuracy comes from bore straightness,consistency and internal finish/machining quality. Generally it's harder keeping perfect tolerances on a tightbore so wider bore like 6.05 and 6.08 are easier to keep nice,straight and smooth. That said it all varies manufacturer to manufacturer,PDi for example advertise their 6.05 and 6.08 SUS 304 barrels as accuracy barrels yet their Raven 6.01s are often more or the same accuracy,though it depends greatly on the application.

Keep the barrel length the same,I'd say. If you want power get 6.03,6.01 might put you over the limit.

For a good barrel PDi are by far the best,internal finish is second to none,they're made with cold hammer forging and top notch machine work. BUT,they are very expensive,depends on length though. You can get them for the best price on Xfire.org.

Prometheus are next- Internal finish can actually get quite spotty sometimes but the second to PDi. Nice quality and performance. You can find them in most retailers

Madbull are cheap,good bang for buck. Only thing i'd say is stay away from the steel bull line since they have some QC issues like pitting and machinign errors. Black python V2s are good.

ZCI are copies of the prommies. Their internal finish is absoloutly gob smacking for 20 quid. Often need a polish to get the best though.

They clearly don't have a scooby-do! It's generally accepted that a wider bore is marginally more accurate (you're not going to notice the difference in reality) while a tighter bore increases FPS. I had the long version of the SCAR-L so I just swapped the stock 367mm barrel for a 363mm madbull one. The SCAR-H has a 300mm inner barrel and the cylinder will be matched to that length so I'd recommend sticking with it. Madbull Black Python 6.03mm barrels are the best price/performance available, but the absolute BEST inner barrels are prometheus (albeit at twice the cost!).

Haha yea the same feela was trying to sell me a dboys scar saying it wasn't that bad compared to the tm scar, so fair point!

Looking at the prometheus line now and yup the prices are scary! Will take a look at the other options like madbull like you said :)

I think before I do anything I need to chrono my aeg to really know what I am working with.

You're local shop is staffed by morons it seems... It'd take a higher power spring fine but a prometheus 6.03 and firefly hop set would benefit you much more.

Yup would seem so, to be honest I half dismissed it as it didn't add up in my head either, but glad you guys can set me straight.

When you say a firefly hop set, is that just the bucking? Also I see hard and soft ones, what would I be needing and how does this affect the gun etc?

He's got it the other way round,but he's close,yet far :L. Accuracy comes from bore straightness,consistency and internal finish/machining quality. Generally it's harder keeping perfect tolerances on a tightbore so wider bore like 6.05 and 6.08 are easier to keep nice,straight and smooth. That said it all varies manufacturer to manufacturer,PDi for example advertise their 6.05 and 6.08 SUS 304 barrels as accuracy barrels yet their Raven 6.01s are often more or the same accuracy,though it depends greatly on the application.

Keep the barrel length the same,I'd say. If you want power get 6.03,6.01 might put you over the limit.

For a good barrel PDi are by far the best,internal finish is second to none,they're made with cold hammer forging and top notch machine work. BUT,they are very expensive,depends on length though. You can get them for the best price on Xfire.org.

Prometheus are next- Internal finish can actually get quite spotty sometimes but the second to PDi. Nice quality and performance. You can find them in most retailers

Madbull are cheap,good bang for buck. Only thing i'd say is stay away from the steel bull line since they have some QC issues like pitting and machinign errors. Black python V2s are good.

ZCI are copies of the prommies. Their internal finish is absoloutly gob smacking for 20 quid. Often need a polish to get the best though.

So many brands and info thanks alot for all that, going to have a proper look into these, I didn't realise the inner barrels were as expensive as they are! Would all the above be better than a stock then quality wise ?

marui barrels are very good quality as far as stock barrels go, I don't expect that a madbull barrel will be better, but with the tighter bore you'll get an increase in FPS.

Thanks maybe worth spending the extra then on the promy :)

It's a Marui. Leave it the f*ck alone.

/thread

haha it's simply out of curiosity, not feeling compelled to do it, just wondered from a theoretical point of view.

One person that I am speaking to on a eagle6 vid on youtube said he just cleaned the barrel and was able to get a 18fps improvement just by cleaning the sealant TM use.

• Supporters

haha it's simply out of curiosity, not feeling compelled to do it, just wondered from a theoretical point of view.

Theoretically speaking, leave it the fuck alone

/thread

;)

• 1 year later...

hahaha I will see! Just keeping the options open!

Did you upgrade anything in the end ?

Only curious as this is on my list :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.