So new I don't even have any kit

Capri_Ghia

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi. I've been considering picking up some airsoft kit for a while and as I've got a couple weeks off I thought now might be a good time to buy. Would this one https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/HFC-hg231-VSR11-Gas-Sniper-rifle-in-blue.html be any good for a beginner? I like the look of the more modern styles but this seems a bit more subtle. I'll really just be plinking in the garden or garage

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask for opinions on kit - I'm hoping that anyone checking this forum is prepared to deal with daft questions from people and if necessary steer them to the correct tjhread.

Cheers

• Supporters

Absolutely not, sorry.

Don't go for a sniper gun as a beginner if you ever want to go to a skirmish. You'll have much disappointment playing with them. Get an AEG (G&G has one of the best beginner kits), play with it at least a year and then consider a sniper gun.

Apart from that I often read that shops that have bbguns in their name are not the places to buy from.

Nope. Again, would recommend against any precision rifle as a first gun. There's nothing stopping you, but you probably won't enjoy it as much as you think to be honest. I'd rather be in the action rather than sat back from it all most of the time. Sniping takes a lot of patience and you won't get a lot of kills in a day. Check out the YouTube channel 'REMF Tacticool' (it's CKinnerly on here) he talks about reasons why you shouldn't get one.

It's gas, and they are also strongly not advised to have as a beginner. You need to be prepared to maintain them frequently and thoroughly.

Thirdly, it's HFC. Not a very good brand as far as I know. I don't know if aftermarket parts will be compatible with it and I doubt the performance will be very good.

A spring sniper rifle such as the A&K M24 I have would be more reliable, but you can spend up to £300 just on upgrades alone.

I realise now you said you just want it for plinking...I would only ever say you should buy from those 'bb gun' websites if you want a plinking gun. Just read through the thread on justbbguns.

Everybody recommends the G&G Combat Machines, you could pick one up for £100 from Pro Airsoft Supplies. It's an excellent retailer (voted to have the best customer service too) and the rifle is transparent (partially) so you don't need a defence. A good battery and charger would cost you £50 at the very most. So there you have a great gun not only for some backyard stuff but also a skirmish capable RIF that will certainly be good enough to actually play at a game with. Not only this but you could upgrade it a lot more externally and internally. If anything breaks in the future there will be spare parts whereas this isn't guaranteed for the HFC sniper rifle.

I really wish I'd got a Combat Machine myself but I made a stupid mistake and bought a sh*tty CYMA M4. Still kicking myself over that decision. Don't want anybody else making bad decisions on guns because it can take you a long time to save up for another. My dad isn't going to let me buy any more guns for a while now after this (even if I sell some because it means we just lose money) Sorry for the long answer but I hope it helps.

Exactly what everyone else is saying. I bought a combat machine they really are very good and last practically. As Mr B said don't buy from sites that have bbguns in them, they rip you off and stiff you. Welcome to the forums☺ as well.

also dont buy from that page. ever
Proairsoftsupplies is excellent. theres also firesupport, zeroone, patrolbase and a few others.

and if you are REALLY REALLY set on being a sniper, get the G&G CM16 and a scope (4x is standard for airsoft), then play like a sniper, only use it on semi and never fire rapidly. if this style suits you after a few games, you may consider a sniper rifle, in that case you got an excellent backup gun in your CM16. and if not, which is quite likely, you have not wasted your money on a gun you never going to use. Also keep in mind, if you want a sniper rifle that is actually better than an assault rifle (AEG), you're expected to splash a total of about a grand on the gun & upgrades.

Thanks for the replies everyone, and thanks for the warning about vendors with bbguns in their title. I've no real desire to be a sniper or go skirmishing (it looks fun but 'm not sure I've got that kind of energy), that one just looked "non-threatening" while still looking like a rifle. The M14 style G14 from G&G looks very cool, but I think I'll lurk and read a bit more before making a decision.

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.