So I wana buy a rifle....

Albiscuit

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys.

As a proper noob I am in need of kit. I currently use a MP5K (which my brother gave me) with a red dot sight and tracer unit attached, This works great at my local indoor skirmish site but I want something bigger and better :)

Next summer I plan to attend lots of outdoor sites as well as my regular indoor haunt so I would like some more firepower.

I like the look of M4s and have had a look around and they seem pretty well customisable which is another factor as I want to add torches, sights etc and make look really cool :)

So I was wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction, there are LOADS of shops and sights selling M4s and I just do not know enough to work out the difference yet and would like some pointers.

So, I am looking for:

An assault rifle, possibly an M4 which:

Looks good

Is adaptable for accessories

A possible starting point for a project to customise with different parts

Will be robust enough for indoor and outdoor skirmishes

No more than £250

I am open to suggestions and have found some I have asked my 2 airsoft buddies to look at ANY help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Al

If you're looking for an M4...

G&G Combat Machine range. Without a doubt. Literally everyone recommends the M4s, they're the best you will get for the money. Excellent for a beginner and they can be upgraded a lot externally as well as internally should you wish in the future. Wish I had got one!!

That's the one. Zero One is also a good place to look.

http://www.zerooneairsoft.com/index.php?cPath=268_318_403_494

For some reason it says 'Due Soon' on every one. All of them sold or something? :o

If you're looking for an M4...

G&G Combat Machine range. Without a doubt. Literally everyone recommends the M4s, they're the best you will get for the money. Excellent for a beginner and they can be upgraded a lot externally as well as internally should you wish in the future. Wish I had got one!!

This is what im seeing online..... and its that kind of comment which makes me think its the right choice....

I use a combat machine raider,

Great gun, never lets me down, I've sprayed mine and added flash light, laser, sight ect.. Just how I like them

I agree that the G&G combat machine range is good.

Couple of other ideas though: If you currently have an MP5K, what about an MP5? That way you can use the same magazines and everything will be where you are used to finding it (fire selector etc).

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/gen_2_tgm_q6.html#SID=37

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/gen_2_tgm_a5_retractble.html#SID=37

The G&G top tech ones come fully upgraded internally or theres a combat machine version. JG, Classic army etc all make very similar quality ones at reasonable prices which you can customise to your needs. ICS MP5's are pretty good, the downside is they are a bit picky about which mags they will work with.

My other idea was maybe an M14? You have an MP5K for close quarters, why not get a proper rifle?

• Supporters

wait and get Raider CM16 - maybe short version imho

£123 - zero one has another shipment due soon was told on friday, but their last trading day will be around Tuesday

then they shut up shop to shift everything for NAE - they have been winding down and pulling most stuff

If get from Zero One then they will 2 Tone it free and should be about £130ish with shipping

ya battery/charger will probably be about £25+ for both - crane stock on CM16 Raider so nunchuck or stick type battery

you get a 450 mag, so maybe add another mag or two perhaps but 450 should see you ok for a single game round

(unless you are really trigger happy) so you can scrape by - certainly better than a mp5 mag capacity

G&G use 8mm bearings in their stuff now even their cheapo £100 carbine but raider with rails is well worth it

hence they sell out everywhere real quick

don't buy any other cheap gun - trust us, we have learnt hard way, you WILL BE WASTING MONEY !!!!

Mp5s look nice, would have been my choice over an MP5K, but as it was donated beggers cant be choosers lol.

I want something bigger and more rifle looking than the MP5, its just too similar to my current weapon.

I hadnt looked at M14s to be honest, M4s have kind of grabbed me, I will research further :)

I am aware that cheap guns have no value, I am happy spending a bit more for a full metal, solid piece of kit as it will me my main weapon for a few years as I have no desire (YET) to expand my loadouts.

• Supporters

if you absolutely have to have something right now and can't wait for Raider

then carbine @ £100

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/cm16_carbine_transparent.html

but I suspect you will soon wish you got raider with RIS to put stuff on

yup can change stuff but often RIS may need a bit of tweaking to fit on

so buying a gun already with rails is better option

heck if ya wanted to go nutz get carbine AND raider when in stock or rather Fire Hawk

if ya got £250 to blow - then you got spare gun of your own

M14's use a slightly different gearbox and in my experience they just seem to be much more accurate at long range. My Sten has an M14 gearbox and the performance it has is amazing. The problem with M4's is that its too easy to add crap you don't need onto the rail system. Lasers are pointless, torches are for CQB in the dark (where you are better off with the MP5K). Keep it simple and classy, nice M14 with a wooden stock and either a red dot or scope...

Theres a bit of overlap between what an MP5K can do and what an M4 can do. An M14 will cover a wider range of play styles, offering more variation. You can do a bit of DMR style sniping, regular spray and pray or switch to the MP5K for a bit of CQB.

Happy to wait, no immediate rush. Just want something I will be happy with.

Price variations are soooo wide...

What do I need to look out for, makes to avoid, ideal ones to try to buy etc??

thats a good point russell, didnt really think of that. I guess im just a sucker for the machine gun look of a M4 rather than the M14.

Will hit my local stores next week to have a play with their options before I get my mind set though and jump in.

thanks for all the advice tho, much appreciated

• Supporters

avoid jumping in and buying from:

justbbguns

bbguns4less

onlybbguns

these cater for kids mainly - yes they have a few on there that are good but in general most stuff on there

if you bought it and went to a proper skirmish site you will get ya ar$e slapped coz you can't keep up

you will be out gunned & out ranged big time and just end up getting the hump

sometimes on cqb you can get buy with cheaper stuff but woodlands at mid-long range you got no chance

Most on here learnt hard way - there are some good guns out there but you won't go wrong with G&G imho

yeah you can get £80 gun but will regret it in couple of months - trust me on this

if you absolutely have to have something right now and can't wait for Raider

then carbine @ £100

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/cm16_carbine_transparent.html

but I suspect you will soon wish you got raider with RIS to put stuff on

yup can change stuff but often RIS may need a bit of tweaking to fit on

so buying a gun already with rails is better option

heck if ya wanted to go nutz get carbine AND raider when in stock or rather Fire Hawk

if ya got £250 to blow - then you got spare gun of your own

Do you have any idea about battery and charger for the one in the link?

CM16 Carbine G&G

Ref: C-16P-CAR

In stock

Price: £117.99 (Including VAT at 20%)

Quantity:

UKARA / Two - Toned?

I am UKARA registered (Please type your number in the box below) (+£0.00)

I need my gun painted green (Please type green in the box below) (+£9.99)

Please enter your UKARA number or "green" for the gun to be painted 51% bright green. Once painted, guns cannot be returned unless defective.

Description

This G&G version of the enormously popular M4 Carbine is the perfect entry level AEG. The body is made of fibre-reinforced nylon which means that it is very light, meaning you can carry it around all day. It has various metal parts, including the barrel, rear sight, charging handle, trigger, sling hooks and other pieces, and it is also very sturdy to hold and fire - there is absolutely no give or rattle anywhere to be found here. Small enough to be used in CQB, with a six position adjustable crane stock it can be used anywhere - the perfect rifle for someone new to airsoft!

It has also been put through the Pro Airsoft Supplies"Horrific abuse test" - we ran this on an 11.1 Lipo spring, and emptied between 10,000 and 15,000 rounds through it - it's still the display model we use upstairs, and still runs absolutely brililantly! (Pro Airsoft Supplies do not recommend doing this to your aeg - ever. It will never forgive you!)

Supplied Magazine: 450 high cap

Please note - this gun does not come with a battery or a charger

Please read the Warranty and Returns page before purchasing, here: http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk

This one any good?

NO thats fine, willing to spend around 250 with attachments (if poss) on a decent branded gun. G&G and ICS are the names im seeing as well as tokyo mauru (SP?) but those ones are very high priced for my starting gun so will stick to the other two methinks!!..

Have a busy week so will try to get to some stores and handle the guns I like the look of and work out what I want before I decide and look around for the best price..

Thx again.

• Supporters

ICS are very good guns - "maybe" slightly better than G&G on some models

BUT many bits in ICS are bespoke to ICS they often have a 2 piece gearbox in M4's

quick spring change but a bollock to get parts easy n cheap as well as limited upgrade options

Often ICS may be a tiny bit more expensive - not much and they usually give you 2 x 300 mags

think this might lure people in but like some car companies...

All sounds good but you try n get spares/service then you find out maybe not a as good as you thought

G&G use the "normal" setup so parts/upgrades are easy to come by, plus they are built very well too

Both these companies are Taiwan - SRC are also but their M4's are not as good and I own all 3 btw

The carbine G&G has battery up front in front hanguard - you can get it black/clear, 2tone I think

or usual black and/or tan

The Raider has battery at back in crane stock - 2 stick batteries linked together usually

but there are numerous options like fitting a solid stock which you can shove anybattery at back

Carbine is front battery with no RIS rails and the clear is better than 2 Tone black bright orange

trust me that orange is a dead give away - enemy will see that day-glo orange gun before you

So clear or transparent is a good option for non ukara peeps, you can spray the clear parts but

in effect you are crossing the line by painting an IF gun to look RIF so won't go into that too much

but is easier and better than trying to paint bright orange if user gets ukara

Raider is lovely - well worth £25 more imho - it does not feel cheap at all, the raider is solid no front

barrel hanguard wobble coz all bolted together tight on RIS.

Only 2 minor things and they really are minor:

no rear sight hand rail or carry handle like many M4's

charging handle don't drop down the flap to adjust hop-up like on most M4's

(you have to pull down flap and keep down to adjust hop-up)

These are very very minor things in what is an absolute lovely first gun choice

and suppose they keep price down a bit and can be changed if you wish

G&G and you won't go wrong, they are both good models, be careful you don't buy a blowback

or gas blowback version coz you think great they got them in stock

Nunchuk battery will work in both guns I reckon carbine or raider - up to you which one or both

Thanks Duck, Im on my way to my UKARA number, but otherwise shall get my Brother to guy it ;) I defo want a black or tan camo gun not a 2 tone..

I would rather pay a bit more and have RIS rails as that was my biggest gripe with my MP5K, had to spend a fortune on rails to get it how I wanted, cant complain as the gun was free though lol.

All this info from an Airsofter and owner is massively valuable.Thanks again.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.