first time advice on lipo batteries

Karljohnmason

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Need some advice on lipo batteries. Basically everything I need to know, bearing in mind all I've heard is they can go up in flames :)

cheers fella :)

Though all I can see in that link is airsoft time bomb lol :)

Not filling me with confidence lol

OK they are safe people like to spread rumours but if you are careful nothing will happen. I bought the 2600mah 7.4 off of component shop along with the turning acuccel 6. Works like a dream. For safety should probably use a battery bag but I don't I'm just careful. It works fun in most guns and will last for ages, literally used like 5 percent of its charge for about 2500bbs. Always plug in the small connector. I forgot hat it s called but I think it is balancer or something, it makes sure you don't overcharge one of the nunchucks and so it won't explode. Always be by it when charging and make sure it doesn't get very hot. Hope that helped sorry in advance for typos I am on my phone

Okay, since my father is a avid 'Vaper', and we both design and make(Hence why we have a 'workshop') atomizers(Though I mostly do site specific things), I'm safe to say; I'm surrounded by Lipo's, and they're frankly safe to use, the 'time-bomb' threat was real.. If you owned an old Dell laptop or if you've double stacked them (Not a good idea, they [can] get hot quite quick and [can] explode), also don't overcharge them, use smart chargers, ect.

Just take general care, like you do with any battery, one thing we do is put the charger (when charging batteries) in a baking tin, and then put another baking tin on top, just to be safe, though we haven't had any bad batteries.

Cheers guys :) good sound advice.

Been reading up, and asking around.

What im hearing is treat them with respect,

and charge them in a charging bag.

I've also heard not to fully run them down?

Yeh that is dangerous however I wouldn't worry about it, just buy the 2600mah battery to be on the safe side. Fully charged it =8.4v however running 3000 BBs through it will send the voltage down to 7.75. And that is less than 1v used in a skirmish, while other people were having to take out batteries and recharge them. Performance was level all through the day as well. I have never run it past 7v which is well beyond what is safe. I believe. You don't run it paSt 1v but don't quot me. As I said battery bags, you should use them just to be safe but I forgot to buy one you just have to be careful either way.

Again sorry for the sea of typos as I am on my phone...

Lipo batteries can set on fire if you damage them enough to pierce them. They can also set on fire if you overcharge them (ie you don't use a smart charger). If you run it empty it will stop working.

But this type of battery is basically everywhere these days, because its energy density for weight and space is better than anything else. A 7.4 V lipo battery will fit about 40-50% more power in the same space. They also don't need to discharged and recharged, you just top them up.

Cheers guys :)
Im gonna bite the bullet, or BB as it where, and buy one for my new gun.

Long and short, I didnt realise it was wired for lipo when I got it. To excited to notice till I got home.

I was gonna get it rewired and I thought why the hell not try lipo's out.
As for spelling Team Flex I rely entirely on spell checker :)

Cheers guys :)

Im gonna bite the bullet, or BB as it where, and buy one for my new gun.

Long and short, I didnt realise it was wired for lipo when I got it. To excited to notice till I got home.

I was gonna get it rewired and I thought why the hell not try lipo's out.

As for spelling Team Flex I rely entirely on spell checker :)

haha my phone is crap, if I rely on autocorrect it will change the sentence. when you say it was wired for lipos, do you mean connection as in mini tamiya? or front/back wired?

This is going to sound really noobish

But hear goes when us guys say battery bag is that something you put the lipo in for charging ?

yeah you put the lipo in, i believe it is fire resistant just in case.

Aye pretty much. Its a fire proof bag incase something goes wrong during charging.

Team flex, its rear wired. The conectors are for lipo batteries

Aye pretty much. Its a fire proof bag incase something goes wrong during charging.

Team flex, its rear wired. The conectors are for lipo batteries

I don't really understand what you mean.

Basically you can get deans wired

deans.jpg

tamiya

Female_Tamiya_Connector_2.5.jpg

or mini tamiya

MMC14.jpg

there is no such thing as lipo wired. I am guessing it is mini tamiya as they are most common, but for example on component shop you can choose what connector you want. So i am guessing you mean this. Different guns get wired differently, and they are easy to change. Deans has less resistance so they are recommended but it won't really affect beginners that much, I haven't been bothered to change over yet

EXAMPLE:

G&G combat machine is fitted as standard with mini tamiya

G&P m249 is fitted as standard with deans (if I remember correctly)

hope this helps :)

EDIT: by the way you have to have a LiPo smart charger to charge LiPos. If you want I can recommend a few with links.

you can buy the IMAX b6, however I have the turnigy accucel 6 digital

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/accucel-6-digital-charger-3285.html

and you probably have a crane stock so need a nunchuk battery. I bought a 2600mah 7.4v LiPo (wouldn't recommend 11.1 without mosfet etc)

however it is out of stock on that website but there are plenty of others.

LiPos will set you back a bit of money short term but they are much better in terms of size, lifespan, power etc. :)

Its a deans connector.

Defiantly not a mini. Thats all I've used/come across so far :)

I was going to get a dedicated charger :)

They guy I deal with has swaped the conector for me :)

Its a mini now, but got my first lipo :)

Dont get to field it till sept 14th though

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.