Last of the lancasters

clumpyedge

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporters

Why was this posted in this section? Lol

I saw them fly over when I was at the NAE.

• Supporters

Yeah, they're the last two surviving examples in the world.

Well we had some red arrows fly over, and I believe a spitfire (not sure about lancasters, will ask my dad) I went to farnborough last year and there was a mass of old fighters and everything including the new jets. It was jaw dropping for even a non plane spotter person (I understand a lancaster is different though :) )

They aren't the last examples only the last flying ones. There is one in Lincolnshire that is flyable but they cant raise the money for an airworthiness cert, so it just taxies.

The Vulcan stops flying this year as they have ran out of hours on the airframe

Some fantastic pics!

Its a real shame about the Vulcan especially as it took so much to get it in the air again.

It seems mad to me that most flying examples of our classic aircraft are now only flown / maintained outside of the UK. If I had the money I would love to be a passenger in one of the Lightning's which is still one of my favourites.

The Lancs were stationed at my cousin's airbase a couple of weeks ago, I got to see them flying around then. Absolutely spectacular.

If anyone is near by, I suggest visiting Duxford this weekend, as they've got their Autumn air show on this weekend. Should be entertaining. (And loud :D )I was there last week, to kill some time before heading into London. A "normal" day for the museum had the following flying:

2 Spitfires (the 2-seater training version, £109 to ride in...), Wirraway (Aussie WW2 light bomber), Catalina flying boat, B-17 E, P-51 Mustang, F6 Hellcat, F8 Bearcat, an F4U Corsair and a Jet Provost. I repeat, this was just a "normal" day for the museum...

Absolutely knackered my phone taking so many photos and videos.

We've had the Vulcan flying over my village on the way to/from Farnborough in the past. Ridiculously loud, and the pilots seem to like flying it low

It was designed to fly low and fast under Russian radar to get those nukes in there before they got us ;-)

Spectacular aircraft - it is a semi regular visitor over Sywell airfield near Northampton for various charity events. I managed to bunk off work one afternoon when it was flying formations with The Blades air display team and a Spitfire. Can't beat the Vulcan howl!

The Vulcan crews used to fly with one eye covered with an eye patch because the anticipated blast flare from the nukes they dropped would blind them in one eye, hence they kept one eye good to fly back to what was left of Blighty! Scary eh?

I shall just leave this here .....

10653515_438968682907946_646831574705252

Oh and this ... https://www.flickr.com/photos/22730494@N06/sets/72157645868820809/

I wanted to be a pilot but a have crappy eyesight so that went to buggery. Wish I could have seen these.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.