First time opening a gearbox

Cheeky vimto

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

been there seen it got T Shirt not just on gearbox but dvd rom drives

had 2 side by side each other one was always crunching up, took ages checking

the fully working one against the crunchy one:

that bit there - check

spring located there - check

bit of grease there - check

oh I see that bit goes under there - yup now check

ok that there - check

slides free n easy now - check

ok put it back together.....

CRUNCH MASH CRUNCH - WTF ????

bastid stuff these gears n crap bollox - checkmate

been there seen it got T Shirt not just on gearbox but dvd rom drives

had 2 side by side each other one was always crunching up, took ages checking

the fully working one against the crunchy one:

that bit there - check

spring located there - check

bit of grease there - check

oh I see that bit goes under there - yup now check

ok that there - check

slides free n easy now - check

ok put it back together.....

CRUNCH MASH CRUNCH - WTF ????

bastid stuff these gears n crap bollox - checkmate

I've just watched loads of youtube videos. It's pretty easy really; a few gears, a piston and a couple of springs. Once you grease it up in there it holds most of it in place.

Rewiring took the longest time. Reshimming only took about an hour - no grinding or crunching sounds so far.

Just ordered the last of the internals to finish the job off;

70D Sorbo pad

Ported cylinder

bearing spring guide

Hopefully I won't have to open this sucker up for awhile after this. All that's left is a Lipo & motor which I'll look into after payday :)

• Supporters

Ahhhhh but I am guessing coz only done 2 rebuilds so far - and not happy with first one

so may redo it soon....

but like I said I imagine as with many many things only after about 6 or 10 times do you

really start to fully understand and become at ease with stuff like diagnose & rectifying

any problems etc....... = experience

Many things now I got a better understanding of and after gaining more experience and

the odd screw up too (learning from mistakes = wisdom)

Gearbox's - hmm think I got quite a way to go just yet before I can say I have started to

fully suss out n all that, probably never ever master them like some on here - samurai etc....

but hope to one day rebuild a gearbox with some custom parts to a level that I feel happy

with - and I am a really fussy bastid to say the least...

best wishes with ya own build I'm sure it will be fine

Ahhhhh but I am guessing coz only done 2 rebuilds so far - and not happy with first one

so may redo it soon....

but like I said I imagine as with many many things only after about 6 or 10 times do you

really start to fully understand and become at ease with stuff like diagnose & rectifying

any problems etc....... = experience

Many things now I got a better understanding of and after gaining more experience and

the odd screw up too (learning from mistakes = wisdom)

Gearbox's - hmm think I got quite a way to go just yet before I can say I have started to

fully suss out n all that, probably never ever master them like some on here - samurai etc....

but hope to one day rebuild a gearbox with some custom parts to a level that I feel happy

with - and I am a really fussy bastid to say the least...

best wishes with ya own build I'm sure it will be fine

Thanks, I'm hoping this gun will last a few years. I realise that modding the ROF will put more stress on the parts but I'm hoping it isn't too drastic. The big difference will be the motor and battery, may need to get a new spring to speed up the piston.

Tried a few BBs through it this evening. I wish I had a chrono to confirm but it sure looked like the rof has improved. The trigger response it really noticeable. I have a stock TM mp5 and the trigger response compared to that is like night and day.

I'm very happy I've done this, it makes me feel like a competent airsofter. It's daunting at first, especially when you haven't got anyone around to tell you where you might of gone wrong. If you take your time and inspect how each part meshes with another one it shouldn't be too difficult. I think everyone should go through this procedure before can call yourself a serious airsofter.

One thing I would suggest which I wish I had done is take pictures as you go along. It might just save you an hour of trauling the internet to find out which way a part goes or where that "extra" spring might go :P

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.