Robin Williams Appreciation.

Finius

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

He was one hairy SOB - and so is the Gorilla.

No, he was a true comic genius. One of the greats.

Unfortunately, funny men are often the saddest out of the limelight.

Hollywood is not very forgiving.

When you're up, you're the best thing since sliced bread and when you're not, people cant get away from you fast enough.

Such is the shallowness of that society.

I heard he was verging on bankruptcy, was having to take second rate parts to pay the bills and of course, had his alcoholism problem.

Can you imagine the pressure of being someone who achieved so much.

Everybody you meet expects great things - go on, Robin, make me laugh, tell us a joke.

Its an uphill climb that cant be maintained.

Many famous comedians end up depressed.

I also imagine its very easy to get hooked on the adoration, the applause.

So many bright stars just burn out.

For me, the epitome of Robin was Mork and Mindy and of course his superb acting in Mrs Doubtfire.

Unlike many comedians, he was incredibly versatile.

His daughter capped it all.

She said he would have been happy to have known that he made so many laugh.

For those full of negativity for him, she said he will direct a flock of pigeons to crap on your car just after you clean it.

I can hear him laughing at that..

I can actually vaguely remember his appearance on Happy Days. Not sure if it was 1978 as back then we'd see US sitcoms 1-2 seasons after they'd been broadcast over the Atlantic, not 1-2 episodes.

He was, as others have and will say, incredibly versatile and a comic genius, especially with the improv. I can still remember the stir he created with Dead Poet Society as he was playing (extremely well) a straight role (could have sworn Seize the Day was not a comedy either). For me Good Morning Vietnam is still his best work - much of it done with out a script, though Good Will Hunting is another on a must see list for him.

His work was great and I have found even his recent work (angriest man in brooklyn - not a very good movie but has its moments) lifted my spirits. Never met the guy, don't know him, haven't followed his career but enjoyed much of his work. It is sad a man he took his own life not realising how many people thought highly of his work. Its a strange feeling to realise their will be no more movies with him in them, he has been in them most of my life.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.