inner barrel dimensions???

ronin677

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all,

I am about to order some silicone rubber tubing in an attempt to make my own version of the 'r-hop'.

Does anyone know the ID and OD of the standard A&K SVD inner barrel? (beofre I order yself a micrometer)

thanks

IMHO don't bother with it. I won't give you any benefit compared to a good hopup rubber even if you can make it perfect. And it is extremely hard to make it any good.

Ive heard they make so much difference

• 4 weeks later...

Still going to try this and wondered if anyone either knew or had the ability to measure the inner dimension of a standard A&K SVD barrel

cheers

You mean in terms of whether its 6.08, 6.03 etc? I don't know of a measuring tool that can do it actually, its one of the complaints the airsoft mechanics. Does it matter? I thought the R hop Z kit gave you a few different pieces and you file it to suit your barrel.

I personally found consistency improved with a G hop, not so much range but certainly the variance in hop reduced. Hard to measure the accuracy improvement without a 30m range but it was very noticable and I suspect the R hop will show a similar effect for you once its done right.

You mean in terms of whether its 6.08, 6.03 etc?

Thats all I need :) silicone tubing now on order :)

I will detail my progress once I'm back from holiday. Now off to catch my flight to Greece :)

• Supporters

I've just measured my stock A&K SVD barrel for you:

ID = 6.08mm

OD = 8.51mm

The thing about R-hop is this, the hop set up you are already running can lift the heaviest BB you intend to shoot so much that it over-hops, ie rises in a daft way, then you cannot gain anything, can you?

I haven't done as much experimentation with mine as i should tbh, but i suspect that i can get the airsoftpro.cz advanced hop unit (the same one ASPUK sell) to overhop 0.4's with the right rubber... and that is not complex to use nor is it subject to being knocked out of alignment.

• Supporters

I don't know of a measuring tool that can do it actually, its one of the complaints the airsoft mechanics.

What? I used a digital Vernier Callipers. Put the inner measuring prongs into the barrel and use the wheel to put pressure on them to open, then rotate the barrel between thumb and forefinger - the measurement that is displayed must be the max the prongs can move apart. That it registered exactly 6.08mm tells me that my theory has worked in practice.

Edited by Ian_Gere
spelling changed "is" to "it" doh!

The thing about R-hop is this, the hop set up you are already running can lift the heaviest BB you intend to shoot so much that it over-hops, ie rises in a daft way, then you cannot gain anything, can you?

A standard bucking can overhop a BB in just the same way a longer hop patch contact can. But a longer contact patch (in this case R hop, but it could be a G hop or a flat hop) will apply less spin per amount of contact, more gradually spinning the BB in comparison to a default bucking. This reduces the amount of difference between the shots, it therefore improves consistency and also makes the hop wheel somewhat less sensitive aiding in dialing it to the perfect amount. Thus the impact when done well is it improves the effective range of the weapon, although it can't as you rightly point out improve the maximum range. Its all about consistency/accuracy.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.