Discharging batteries / blank firing.

Jacob(smooth)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Assuming I don't want to overcharge a nimh battery, what's the best way to fully discharge it? Will blank firing, full auto no bbs) damage the gun? Is there a better way to discharge a battery?

You might need to invest in a charger that will cycle the batts. Or set some sort of target up and shoot bbs at it till the batts run down.

Some pistols I have seen, (WE XDM Compact) have a special clip you can attach to the top of the magazine so that it won't damage the gun when dry firing (For use as a prop)

Ofcourse this is a battery related question but the concept alone might be something to look into.

I've always heard it isn't a good idea to blank fire. I'd try to keep it to the minimum. I'd also recommend a smart charger such as the IMAX B6 so you don't overcharge batteries.

I just let my batteries run down so they're almost dead and then charge them for pretty much their full time.

If you keep firing it on full auto, it'll wear out faster. Moving parts cycling and all that.

I'm not sure it makes too much difference, but also firing full auto when empty means there's no bb in the chamber and less resistance for the piston. It'll thwack the front of the gearbox harder as a result. All gearboxes will crack eventually, so putting undue stress on them will only hasten it's departure!

Just buy a battery dis-charger and save yourself the hassle: http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-battery-discharger-new-version

• Supporters

As Hibernator said. It will simply break your gearbox.

Cheap way to discharge is to get any 12v bulb (ie. anything from a car or motorbike) and connect that. When its light fades from bright to "it's getting empty" then you've discharged the battery.

If you keep the bulb on it until it goes dark, by then the battery is dead and should be disposed of. So it's not a very smart solution. :) Keep an eye on it.

If you keep firing it on full auto, it'll wear out faster. Moving parts cycling and all that.

I'm not sure it makes too much difference, but also firing full auto when empty means there's no bb in the chamber and less resistance for the piston. It'll thwack the front of the gearbox harder as a result. All gearboxes will crack eventually, so putting undue stress on them will only hasten it's departure!

Just buy a battery dis-charger and save yourself the hassle: http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/marui-battery-discharger-new-version

Second the discharger if your that worried. I certainly wouldn't blank fire a gun excessively.

Meh I blank fire lots of my guns... Quite excessively just to test for wear and tear, doing it for discharge purposes is however not recommended. If your gun isn't tuned up to scratch there will be a lot of wear and tear, it will pretty much stimulate like a few months of usage if you do it enough.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.