My first time

Frosty0769

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I just thought I would, as a first timer put down my views of my very first skirmish. Sorry if it's not in the right area.

I went along to the boot camp day at Skirmish Billericay. I had pre-booked a specked up M4 for myself which was supposed to be better than the standard M4 they rent out. The only real difference externally was the collapsible stock, fore grip and external battery that blocked the view down the iron sights. The insides were apparently upgraded as well but considering I can compare to anything else Im not a great judge. In reality the weapon was a pain in the a**e as I had to keep getting it fixed as it wasnt firing consistently and would only fire on in six on full auto. I also rented some webbing and an extra high cap magazine. The mags were ok and seemed up to the job and the webbing once loosened was ok but had seen a lot of use as you would expect from a rental set.

There was over 100 people on the day and was a real mixed bunch and most of those I spoke to were very friendly there were two incidents during the day that made me think that some were taking it all a little too seriously and not taking into account that is was just a boot camp and not the final battle in Platoon. But considering the amount of testosterone and adrenaline I cant complain.

The site itself was really good with five or six different areas but we only use 4 on the day. After a quick 5 min game of domination for the new people to get a feel for everything we set about a game of capture the flag with about 50 a side. About 15 mins in the cloud cover came over and it was almost dark, and the heavens opened and former hurricane Bertha said hello after about 10 mins of the deluge the marshals blew the whistle and sent us all back to the safe zone to wait it out. 45 mins later we were back out and the red team went on to win the game. I took a hit directly to the eye and was very thankful for my glasses and also took a hit directly to the plums (that one hurt).

After lunch we had a game where the teams took turns to attack of defend the 4 sites we used and pick up TNT then plant them on the 3 bridges. The differences in the teams was quite obvious and unbalanced as the red team won all but one game all day where the reds would attack and gain an objective quite quickly, the blues would hold back a little more and this made the difference. We were then given two more shot games at the end of the day to make up for the time we lost in the morning.

The downsides of the day for me were, that the gun I rented was pants and was a real let down in the CQB Im not that up on the makes but it would put me off buying and ICS rif, the marshals were not easy to see and some were ducking down and drawing fire. The seating area needs more cover from the elements.

Apart from those I got soaked to the skin, I ache all over and have a giant red lump on my jaw that looks like a big red spot, but I dont care, I had fun and am now hooked. What a great day out, I will definitely be going again!

The more of your own stuff you get the more drawn in your get to this hobby the more stuff your then in turn want and it just grows and grows. Then your find your taking it more serious and as you get Airsoft mates maybe a team together it just gets more and more fun. Glad you enjoyed it. My team will be in September , might see you there.

Hope you keep with airsoft :)

It saddens me when people go in with a 'I'm invincible' mindset, and then shake their heads in disbelief as they get showered in BBs when they emerge from cover, and as a result of their poor decision making they decide they don't like the sport and never look back. On another note, similar to the green shirt issue, is when the Marshall of my regular site sometimes has poor placement. People use him as a shield to move between cover. Ah well.

some were taking it all a little too seriously and not taking into account that is was just a boot camp and not the final battle in Platoon.

^^ This

This makes me question whether I want to bother going at all- I mean, sure, it may get a little heated at times, but fundamentally, it's a game of soldiers!!!

Some know it all dressed to the nines in unquestionable amounts of gear telling me what to do is likely to be met with problems. I don't appreciate being told what to do at the best of times, let alone when I'm out for a bit of fun.....

Don't take me wrong. It's not like I want to mess about, I'll take it as seriously as it needs to be. Not seriously, full stop. And not as someones b1tch.

That aside, glad you enjoyed it. Hoping to have a go at the end of the month all being well, at The Sandpit.

First time I went it was for a full day session (10:00 am to 4:00 pm) was exhausted by the end. Didn't go back to it till maybe 2 years later when I had gotten all my own equipment and was happy with what I was using.

I was going to Billericay for the boot camp but ended up at dragons lair in Brentwood. As my son can play there so I rented him a gun and away we went. It was brilliant all the staff are family and very friendly they see we had not dont it before so took the time to go through it all. The other players were very friendly helping wherever they could. The gun was a very nice m4 and he only had one problem all day and that was the battery ran out half way through a game. The Marshall took it out changed the battery and he was back in within seconds. Cant wait to get back there.

Hope you keep with airsoft :)It saddens me when people go in with a 'I'm invincible' mindset, and then shake their heads in disbelief as they get showered in BBs when they emerge from cover, and as a result of their poor decision making they decide they don't like the sport and never look back. On another note, similar to the green shirt issue, is when the Marshall of my regular site sometimes has poor placement. People use him as a shield to move between cover. Ah well.

Poor Marshall position really urea tea me sometimes. I play indoor CQB and it really bothers me when I'm alone and the marshal stands near me, pretty much lighting me up with the blue light on their hat. It screams. Someone's nearby otherwise why would the marshal be there. Don't get me wrong I've caught people out because I've noticed a Marshall stood by themselves but it's not fair.

Really bad form on the gun, especially since you paid extra. Sounds like poor maintenance - I would have expected them to have swapped it over straight away or refund the extra you paid in return for a standard one! Don't let it put you off ICS, but there are other alternatives too. The main thing is that if/when you get your own gun, you can make sure it's looked after and works properly before you play!

Excellent! Shame about the gun, but wouldn't let that one incidence put you off ICS, especially as it was a rental gun. I'd say get a twotone G&G cm16. saves money and disappointment on the rental. then when you sorted your UKARA you either sell it or use it as backup/loaner.

Also got hit on the goggles my first game. the first thing I did as a matter in fact, haha! mine was between the eyes thou!

I would have expected them to have swapped it over straight away

Definitely, or if there's nothing to swap to, then a full refund on the rental.

Poor Marshall position really urea tea me sometimes. I play indoor CQB and it really bothers me when I'm alone and the marshal stands near me, pretty much lighting me up with the blue light on their hat. It screams. Someone's nearby otherwise why would the marshal be there. Don't get me wrong I've caught people out because I've noticed a Marshall stood by themselves but it's not fair.

At billericay I wouldn't say it is bad placement, only they wear dark green tshirts so it is hard to tell them apart from other players. This means that you often find that you are shooting at a marshal, and they can draw fire towards themselves and actually away from the enemy players at times.

Hey mate i also went that day, Ive been there 4 times now i would say that was my wost day there.

Like you my gun was complete Sh*t, it actually fell apart the carry handle fell off and the flash hider broke, then the younger technician had the cheek to ask me to pay for it but the older guy said i didnt have to.

When you go again rent an AK, those guns are brand new and solid as a rock and shoot much better, the M4's are awful. never tried a g36 tho.

At billericay I wouldn't say it is bad placement, only they wear dark green tshirts so it is hard to tell them apart from other players. This means that you often find that you are shooting at a marshal, and they can draw fire towards themselves and actually away from the enemy players at times.

Yeah I agree, the marshalls shouldnt wear green shirt and camo torusers and expect not to look like players. they was also standing right in the middle of an objective area so i couldnt shoot the enemy because this fat Marshall was in the way quite annoying lol, when he moved my gun rental gun misfired anyway.

Yea i know what you mean. I hope this experience hasn't put you off. Ive found most sites are different to one another. Where one site might slip up, another site will do really well on but they'll slip up elsewhere. At the end of the day we're grown men planing with toy plastic toys, It's just for fun.

Hey mate i also went that day, Ive been there 4 times now i would say that was my wost day there.

Like you my gun was complete Sh*t, it actually fell apart the carry handle fell off and the flash hider broke, then the younger technician had the cheek to ask me to pay for it but the older guy said i didnt have to.

When you go again rent an AK, those guns are brand new and solid as a rock and shoot much better, the M4's are awful. never tried a g36 tho.

When you rent you shouldn't have to pay for repairs unless you're deliberatly seen tampering with it or hitting something. You're new to the sport, adrenaline kicks in and you just want to go for it. accidents will happen that's why you pay to use their equipment.

^^ This

This makes me question whether I want to bother going at all- I mean, sure, it may get a little heated at times, but fundamentally, it's a game of soldiers!!!

Some know it all dressed to the nines in unquestionable amounts of gear telling me what to do is likely to be met with problems. I don't appreciate being told what to do at the best of times, let alone when I'm out for a bit of fun.....

Don't take me wrong. It's not like I want to mess about, I'll take it as seriously as it needs to be. Not seriously, full stop. And not as someones b1tch.

That aside, glad you enjoyed it. Hoping to have a go at the end of the month all being well, at The Sandpit.

I agree, some guys take it very seriously and they dont need to.

"Take your fucking hit!" was yelled at me more than once, thing is his shots wernt even near me. people think just because they see you and aim at you 50meters away dont realize there gun cant actually shoot that far.

I dont mind people treating it in a military way i actualy quite like that, but i dont like the people that think they hit everything they aim at.

Yeah I agree, the marshalls shouldnt wear green shirt and camo torusers and expect not to look like players. they was also standing right in the middle of an objective area so i couldnt shoot the enemy because this fat Marshall was in the way quite annoying lol, when he moved my gun rental gun misfired anyway.

Haha I guess that'll be Brian, he has a habit for that. The marshals are good though and also regular players at the site so they try and keep out the way. And I also agree with the rent an AK advice, my friend rented one on Sunday and it was great for a rental gun, metal and real wood and it was solid and very accurate too.

• Supporters

First sounds like you had a good time overall. Second marshals in high viz kinda spoil it for me but so do marshals in camo, if you aren't a player you should be wearing something to mark you out as not in the game. I have suggested to sites and on here before UN observer blue hat and top. Could just be a simple pale blue tshirt over whatever camo they choose to wear. One of the guys that takes photos down the pit wears a huge media patch front and back on blue body armour. Works a treat and looks the part.

Third ICS are actually a make with a good reputation. Chances are the rental you had hasn't had anyone look at it, clean, maintain it since it was bought. In that case just imagine how many people have bashed it, how many rounds it has fired and is still going strong (ish) when the rest of us owners lavish time, money and love on ours to get them working as best we possibly can.

My gun is an ICS cxp o8 and it was great at the weekend worked brilliant all day. I was shocked how many players commented on it and tried it. Had some very good feedback on it. As said the rental guns to get abused. First thing I did when I got home was strip it down and clean and re lubricate it.

• Supporters

I own an ICS M4 and an ICS L85, they both worked beautifully and the M4 still does, the L85 is a bit hit and miss mainly since I started messing with it! Moral- leave it alone until something goes wrong then fix it. Just clean the barrel that's it.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.