DMR vs Single shot snipers

THE FNG

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

I currently own the spring A&K SVD. I've had it for 2 years by xmas and I've loved it! It has been the first gun that I have disassembled, upgraded, cherished. I have, however, grown a bit bored of the actual sniper role. I have scored some incredibly satisfying kills and I absolutely adore my SVD, but I prefer things a bit closer up. I tend to play fibua and cqb more now, so I rarely use the SVD.

The other thing is that now that I am a little more experienced as a player, I am looking into authenticity a little more. I don't have particular loadout inspirations etc and it's not anything strict but with the real steel Dragunov being a semi auto dmr, pulling the charging handle every time to take a shot (which is very stiff and causes bruising on my shoulder!) sometimes makes it feel a little strange.

I was going to sell up my SVD, and use the money to put towards the semi-only DMR version; mostly due to liking the SVD as a gun in general and I have some of the upgrades already in my current SVD.

Now; to the point. I was wondering; what is the difference in play style like? I've never played DMR, only sniper and rifleman. I was wondering if the style of play is a drastic change or if it's the same thing? I'm essentially trying to decide whether or not to give up sniping and focus in cqb/fibua loadouts.

Also, does anyone know of the A&K SVD gearbox would drop into the spring version? This would save me a bit of cash and time!

Thanks for reading,

Andy

TL:DR
Should I get the semi auto SVD instead of my spring one and will I enjoy DMR'ing over sniping?

yup 90% of the time, sites don't distinguish between a DMR and any other AEG.

Consider getting a lower power spring for your current gun, so you're inside the 350fps threshold so you can engage at any distance and see how you get on. If you enjoy this then consider getting an AEG for the same role. It could be an SVD or maybe a nice M14.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the DMR wouldn't be going to cqb sites. It may travel with me to anzio camp which is fibua and allows dmrs (400fps or lower).

I've already got cqb loadouts sorted :) Got a scar-l cqc as one and a ump as the other. Was working on a kac pdw but it's now for sale as I don't have the time to finish it.

Thanks for the quick replies btw

• Supporters

If the DMR is 400 fps or lower but you have 20-30 meters of minimum engage distance, then there is no point in getting one, simply use an AEG and make it perfect.

On the site I've been a few times here, 98% of ppl have decent looking gun and absolutely cr*p useful engagement distance. Mostly because they use 0.20g BBs and don't spend time to set the hopup. If you are a sniper, you already know you must spend a few hours just to set the hopup and the sights. Use quality heavy BB too, and mostly single shots.

I do use my gun this way and consider myself a dmr (even though I use just a red dot - you can perfectly see to 50-60 meters) and not having a minimum engagement distance is a huge advantage to actual DMRs.

Between 350 and 400 fps there is absolutely no noticeable difference if your gun is set up right.

• Supporters

Was just about to echo the above, the extra ~50 FPS you might have over AEGs will likely make so little range difference it's not worth.

'Play style' in game is whatever you make it really, a marksman would (generally) have a higher rate of fire but also have to get closer to the action and move around more.

Doubtful the A&K gearbox would fit their spring gun tbh. Real Sword make a Dragunov though which is often reported to be one of the longest ranging, most accurate semi-auto AEGs in existence.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.