Differences between a GEN 2 & 3 G&G T4-18

Snakeeyes75

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, So I'm pretty new to this but I have question regaurding the title gun. Are there any visual differences between these 2 guns? I mean from the outside. I'm not sure but the only thing I've spotted in several pics is the addition of a white painted "TT" logo on the newer Gen 3 version. Is there any quick test I can do if I had both side by side? Any help appreciated :) It's pretty confusing as I think several websites are using stock pics which are a couple years old.

• Supporters

They're the same externally, the Gen3 comes with an AB MOSFET installed, aside from that they're functionally identical both internally and externally.

As far as I know.

They're the same externally, the Gen3 comes with an AB MOSFET installed, aside from that they're functionally identical both internally and externally.

As far as I know.

Hmm, is it literally just the Mosfet that makes them different internally, From the Land warrior site:

"Note the lower receiver now has an M4 style Mag well. Generation 3 model with improved hop unit, barrel, wiring (with added MOSFET) and motor."

I've done a couple of wirinig jobs outside of the Airsoft world, would it be fairly simple to add a Mosfet? They don't really cost much, just a case of getting the correct one!

Taken from the PAS website

The G&G Generation 3 series of rifles are the next evolution of premium grade airsoft rifles. These rifles are built for players who want the most bang for their buck. Internally you'll find a 6.03mm Tightbore barrel for achieving a tight grouping of shots down range. This is then coupled with G&G's fantastic hop up unit which lets the rifle push BB's at distance most over stock rifles would never make. The internal wiring has been swapped out for a thicker, more efficient version. This will allow lower voltage batteries to give a higher rate of fire and trigger response than they would otherwise do in a normal stock rifle. Because of this 11.1V LiPo batteries will cause the rifle to double fire in semi-auto due to the super efficient wiring. A high torque motor is the next step in the upgrades to boost that trigger response too lighting fast speed. And last but not least all the Gen3 rifles come installed with a mosfet. What is a mosfet I hear you cry? Well when you fire your AEG normally as you pull back the trigger it will come into contact into another plate which will tell the gun to fire (Pretty handy when it does so). When you start using batteries over 8.4v the higher voltage can cause electrical arcing over the two contacts before they touch. This is not very good for the life of the gun as the arcing will cause the contacts to wear out and carbon to build up in the rifle, increasing the resistance in the electrical system and eventually leads to a failure of some sort in the gearbox. The mosfet stops all of this from happening and frees up some more of the resistance in the electrical system thus also giving a slightly higher ROF.

UNQUOTE

• Supporters

I wasn't aware of the mag well change, that would allow you to use Magpul Pmags, as they don't usually work in 416s, there's a lip that jams on the magwell as it's slightly longer on 416s.

MOSFETs are easy enough to install though, loadsas guides online. Personally I'd get the Gen2.

• Supporters

So many terrible spelling and grammar errors in that product description *shakes head disappointedly*

I wasn't aware of the mag well change, that would allow you to use Magpul Pmags, as they don't usually work in 416s, there's a lip that jams on the magwell as it's slightly longer on 416s.

MOSFETs are easy enough to install though, loadsas guides online. Personally I'd get the Gen2.

When you say Magpul Pmags, does that mean even the G&G:

http://www.landwarriorairsoft.com/airsoft-magazines-c3/mid-standard-capacity-c52/g-g-g-g-120-round-mid-cap-magazine-for-gr16-m4-black-p3421

Would they not fit then in the Gen 2?

From the Product description it looks like the wiring grade has been upped so it may be a case of comparing the 2?

Can I also ask, Why would you get the Gen 2?

• Supporters

I'd get the grade 2 because the better wiring and the mosfet don't offer a good enough incentive for me to pay more, in my opinion, and I don't care about Pmags not fitting.

I imagine the G&G mags will fit fine because they don't have a lip on the leading edge, which is why Pmags don't fit extended mag wells.

The Gen 3 magwell might be an M4 style but it still needs angle grinding to support an M4 magazine. Its got a spine at the back that pushes very hard onto the M4 magazines and the inside of the magwell where that spine is needs to be grinded down to get the magazines to go in normally.

I can't really recommend the T4-18 gen 3, I just haven't found it to be a good gun at all.

• Supporters

The Gen 3 magwell might be an M4 style but it still needs angle grinding to support an M4 magazine. Its got a spine at the back that pushes very hard onto the M4 magazines and the inside of the magwell where that spine is needs to be grinded down to get the magazines to go in normally.

I can't really recommend the T4-18 gen 3, I just haven't found it to be a good gun at all.

So what mags can you use if it doesn't work with M4 mags...?

Ah, all very confusing! i get what you're saying about the extra price for the wiring compaired to the Gen 2, I take it the selling points of:

-New high torque motor

-Tight bore barrel

-upgraded hop unit

were they the sales points used in the Gen 2?

So, what mags are the correct ones?

• Supporters

As far as I can remember, the Gen2 also has a tightbore and a high torque motor. The Gen1s were basically just metal bodied versions of the "sportsline" polymer furniture range, with a few tougher internals, gears, bearings, etc.

The Gen 2s had tightbores and upgraded motors as standard.

The Gen3s have better wiring, a mosfet, a high torque motor and a tight bore. The hop units are the same across all of them I think, G&G's hop units are just exceptionally good in my experience, so they've just made a point of mentioning it, it's not because it's something it has that's better than the previous model.

Standard M4 mags ought to fit all of them, as that's what they take. Pmags will not fit in anything prior to Gen3 because they have 416 style magwells, which are longer, though not enough to really notice a visual difference.
The point of stating the Gen3 has an M4 mag well is so that it can take all the mags M4s can take, such as Pmags which previously did not fit the 416 because they have a lip on their leading edge, which used to hit the extended mag well and no push up far enough to lock in.

As far as I can remember, the Gen2 also has a tightbore and a high torque motor. The Gen1s were basically just metal bodied versions of the "sportsline" polymer furniture range, with a few tougher internals, gears, bearings, etc.

The Gen 2s had tightbores and upgraded motors as standard.

The Gen3s have better wiring, a mosfet, a high torque motor and a tight bore. The hop units are the same across all of them I think, G&G's hop units are just exceptionally good in my experience, so they've just made a point of mentioning it, it's not because it's something it has that's better than the previous model.

Standard M4 mags ought to fit all of them, as that's what they take. Pmags will not fit in anything prior to Gen3 because they have 416 style magwells, which are longer, though not enough to really notice a visual difference.

The point of stating the Gen3 has an M4 mag well is so that it can take all the mags M4s can take, such as Pmags which previously did not fit the 416 because they have a lip on their leading edge, which used to hit the extended mag well and no push up far enough to lock in.

I see! So you really are paying for a re-wire and a cheapo Mosfet? blimey! I can see why the Gen 2 would still be appealing! especially if you don't want to run a higher voltage Lipo. Frustrating as there's no real visual differences, I can see that causing a whole retail nightmare!

This is my friend in the US holding what will shortly be in my hands, it was bought for a good price and I can't offend my good friend by turning it down, I have no idea if it's the Gen 2 or 3!

F47DC10A-CB38-4962-A170-5C3999BB0C8F_zps

• Supporters

So many terrible spelling and grammar errors in that product description *shakes head disappointedly*

https://www.facebook.com/groups/133309454114/?fref=ts join us.

I own a G&G Gen 2 TR16A2 'Light Carbine' (pretty much just a slightly shorter M4) and the G&G emag/pmag style mags fit and feed in it flawlessly. On other standard M4 style magwells they work as well, I've tested with a friend's G&P M4.

I don't know what magazines its meant to take, I just know its got a spine in the back of the magazine well that meant it was overly tight on the G&G magazines I was using (landwarrior had no issue selling those as compatible incidentally). I had a chat with the guys at proairsoft (the main importer of G&G guns) and they showed me their store display where they had ground the magwell down. I suspect its a design flaw keeping an aspect of the HK416 magazine design while changing the external magazine well angling wasn't all they needed to do.

My main issue with the gun is the hop up, its horribly inconsistent. The grinding I had to do did solve the stupidly tight (two hands needed to remove the magazine, so far too tight) but the hop is still utter rubbish so far, I think I just need to replace the bucking as the unit itself is maintaining settings.

I also tested some PMags on site 1.5 weeks ago and they didn't feed. They fit and hold but I get no rounds through it. That is consistent with the CM16 where I also found they wont feed from a PMAG. My T4-18 Gen 3 definitely doesn't work with PMags.

I also tested some PMags on site 1.5 weeks ago and they didn't feed. They fit and hold but I get no rounds through it. That is consistent with the CM16 where I also found they wont feed from a PMAG. My T4-18 Gen 3 definitely doesn't work with PMags.

Could've been to do with the brand of mags they were

I don't know what magazines its meant to take, I just know its got a spine in the back of the magazine well that meant it was overly tight on the G&G magazines I was using (landwarrior had no issue selling those as compatible incidentally). I had a chat with the guys at proairsoft (the main importer of G&G guns) and they showed me their store display where they had ground the magwell down. I suspect its a design flaw keeping an aspect of the HK416 magazine design while changing the external magazine well angling wasn't all they needed to do.

My main issue with the gun is the hop up, its horribly inconsistent. The grinding I had to do did solve the stupidly tight (two hands needed to remove the magazine, so far too tight) but the hop is still utter rubbish so far, I think I just need to replace the bucking as the unit itself is maintaining settings.

Quite worrying that it was tight even with the G&G mags!! I'm also alarmed to hear about the hop-up! I thought that the Top tech G&G hop ups were pretty legendary?

Quite worrying that it was tight even with the G&G mags!! I'm also alarmed to hear about the hop-up! I thought that the Top tech G&G hop ups were pretty legendary?

I have been told the same on this forum and in quite a few reviews. On my CM16 carbine I had to replace the nub because it was massively overhopping out of the box, with the hop off. A replacement of the nub and resetting all the placement of the barrel and such fixed the issue. It now hops about even with the hop off. I wouldn't exactly call that legendary.

Then when I got the T4-18 I saw much better accuracy straight away compared to the CM16 (shooting at paper at 10m). But then I got out into the field and applied hop and once I had it right I found the rounds were being pulled about 12 moa to the right, it was well away from the zero I had set. The vertical pull I was expecting, the horizontal I wasn't. At range I had 3 person widths of spread at least, I had some rounds over hopping and some under hopping so it was really inconsistent. I knew it might take some time to bed in and I have now put about 3000 rounds through it so I am expecting the hop to behave now, but it doesn't seem to be any better. Right now I am trying to work out the issue. I have been testing the FPS and found it to be within about 4 FPS drift at 310 so I don't think air seal problems are causing the issue. Right now I think its maybe the bucking, but its just a bit of rubber so I will probably do a H nub like I did on the CM16 and the bucking at the same time.

The hop on both my G&G guns has been far from legendary, they have been a pain in the backside. I haven't yet worked out the cause of my problem on the T4-18, so I can't yet tell you what the issue is like with the CM16 where I did track it down and fix it so until I do so I can't tell you if its the unit or something simple. But I can tell you this, its my last G&G gun and I am so tempted to just sell it and get something else (The TM Scar H like I was originally going to buy).

I have been told the same on this forum and in quite a few reviews. On my CM16 carbine I had to replace the nub because it was massively overhopping out of the box, with the hop off. A replacement of the nub and resetting all the placement of the barrel and such fixed the issue. It now hops about even with the hop off. I wouldn't exactly call that legendary.

Then when I got the T4-18 I saw much better accuracy straight away compared to the CM16 (shooting at paper at 10m). But then I got out into the field and applied hop and once I had it right I found the rounds were being pulled about 12 moa to the right, it was well away from the zero I had set. The vertical pull I was expecting, the horizontal I wasn't. At range I had 3 person widths of spread at least, I had some rounds over hopping and some under hopping so it was really inconsistent. I knew it might take some time to bed in and I have now put about 3000 rounds through it so I am expecting the hop to behave now, but it doesn't seem to be any better. Right now I am trying to work out the issue. I have been testing the FPS and found it to be within about 4 FPS drift at 310 so I don't think air seal problems are causing the issue. Right now I think its maybe the bucking, but its just a bit of rubber so I will probably do a H nub like I did on the CM16 and the bucking at the same time.

The hop on both my G&G guns has been far from legendary, they have been a pain in the backside. I haven't yet worked out the cause of my problem on the T4-18, so I can't yet tell you what the issue is like with the CM16 where I did track it down and fix it so until I do so I can't tell you if its the unit or something simple. But I can tell you this, its my last G&G gun and I am so tempted to just sell it and get something else (The TM Scar H like I was originally going to buy).

Bloody hell!!! That sounds like the kind of issue I have with pretty much everything man made! Well, in the next few weeks I'll have two of them and I'll have a thorough test to see if I have the same issues! I'm amazed by what you're saying !

• 2 weeks later...

So... I'm now the owner of a Gen 3 G&G T4-18. First off I noticed that the G&G mags are fairly tight in the Mag well, nothing more than just a slight whack to properly seat it, releasing it just takes a small tug. Internally the Hop is definately different to the gen 2. It's a metal body with a silver barrel rather than the brass one of the Gen 2. I've had a good play with it and the only issue I'm having is that a 120r G&G mag will "Derp" the first 30 or so shots meaning that you only want to put in 85-90 BB's in.

So... I'm now the owner of a Gen 3 G&G T4-18. First off I noticed that the G&G mags are fairly tight in the Mag well, nothing more than just a slight whack to properly seat it, releasing it just takes a small tug. Internally the Hop is definately different to the gen 2. It's a metal body with a silver barrel rather than the brass one of the Gen 2. I've had a good play with it and the only issue I'm having is that a 120r G&G mag will "Derp" the first 30 or so shots meaning that you only want to put in 85-90 BB's in.

Seems to have a lot of problems is it worth buying I was thinking about getting the gen 2

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.