Noob question about Radios

ronin677

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys

I have absolutely no idea how set up a 'press & talk' system for my comms.

I have a Cobra MT975 radio which I am very comfortable with and I want to buy a Bowman Headset similar to the one shown.

What do I need to buy extra and how do I then connect it all up to get a 'press & talk' system?

thanks

cobramicrotalkmt975_02.jpg

bowman.jpg

Does your radio have any aux in ports? Also, you need to buy a PTT for your headset for it to work, just make sure it's the right pin

You just need a PTT - Push To Talk - adaptor for the headset as above. But good luck finding one that will work with a Cobra radio. In my experience they are very fussy about headsets and tend to only like Cobra branded ones!

Are Motorola any better? I have a couple of old handsets

Or can anyone recommend a half decent but not too expensive handset for use with a Bowman?

I take it when I buy a PTT , I have to just buy one thats compatible with my handset, will they all fit the bowman?

Are Motorola any better? I have a couple of old handsets

Or can anyone recommend a half decent but not too expensive handset for use with a Bowman?

I take it when I buy a PTT , I have to just buy one thats compatible with my handset, will they all fit the bowman?

Most PTT's will fit as long as they are the same brand. If you want another radio, get motorola TLKRs, they are good

The Bowman usually have a military style connector which plugs into the PTT.

The PTT in turn will plug into the radio. They usually have something like a Kenwood or Motorola 1-pin connector.

If you are happy with the restrictions of PMR446, then Motorola do some nice radios. Rotary volume knob and easy channel selection when radio is in its pouch is a good idea.

Failing that, the next step up is a Baofeng UHF set which is cheap, has a 4W output and a Kenwood socket.

However to use this legally, you need a business light licence which will cost £75 for 5 years.

Baofeng 888s and restrict yourself to low power mode and pmr446 channels (still technically naughty). £17 from ebay and takes a standard kenwood connection.

this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BaoFeng-BF-888S-UHF-400-470-MHz-Walkie-Talkie-2-Way-Radio-Earpiece-USB-Cable-/181156424111?pt=UK_Mobile_Phones_Communication_Ham_Radio_Receivers_Transceivers&hash=item2a2dc3a9af

and then all i need is a kenwood PTT yes?

Yes that's the one I bought, it needs to be programmed via a pc, but it's fairly intuitive, the radio is really simple and robust too.

The usual ptt with kenwood pin should work well.

I also have a baofeng uv5r but it's too much for airsoft, if all you need are the pmr channels then the 888s is perfect.

Just be aware that a Baofeng running on PMR446 channels is over powered and contravenes licencing rules, even when its running on low power.

The PMR446 licence-free rules state a maximum power of 500mW and a built in aerial.

Many airsofters flout this through ignorance or because they don't think they will get caught and use Baofeng radios illegally. It's strange because they are often the same ones who moan about people buying RIF without a defence.

So what, I hear you ask ?

No skin off my nose, but one day Ofcom will get wise to this and they will attend a skirmish.

Being government owned, they are short of funds.

What better way to help the national deficit than turn up at a skirmish, catch a load of airsofters with illegal Baofengs and no licence and hit them with their Draconian but heavy fines.

They might not have time to chase one guy but some of the bigger skirmishes ?

Would be a lucrative day for them and no different a stealth tax from the other fines we have to pay in this country for minor misdemeanors.

Just a lot more money ! - Google radio licencing fines !

It will happen one day, Just don't say that you weren't aware !

Thanks for all the advice

I am going to stay clear of the Baofen.

Just a side note, I have just found a couple of Binatone MR300's in my garage. The range on them seems half decent and so I'm wondering what PTT's will fit those

• Supporters

Just a side note, I have just found a couple of Binatone MR300's in my garage. The range on them seems half decent and so I'm wondering what PTT's will fit those

Have a look on ebay. Plenty of stuff there for not a lot.

I used to have binatones, they were good but they decide to die all of a sudden. I didn't even use them for airsofting, just general walks

The Binatone use a 2.5mm single pin accessory jack which looks very similar to the Motorola one. However, they are wired differently so not interchangeable. Its quite difficult to find tactical headsets that fit the Binatone but you will find security and covert mics and earpieces. Depends what you want.

No skin off my nose, but one day Ofcom will get wise to this and they will attend a skirmish.

Being government owned, they are short of funds.

What better way to help the national deficit than turn up at a skirmish, catch a load of airsofters with illegal Baofengs and no licence and hit them with their Draconian but heavy fines.

They might not have time to chase one guy but some of the bigger skirmishes ?

Would be a lucrative day for them and no different a stealth tax from the other fines we have to pay in this country for minor misdemeanors.

Just a lot more money ! - Google radio licencing fines !

It will happen one day, Just don't say that you weren't aware !

No it won't happen, they don't care about a few piddley little contraventions of the PMR license.

They have a lot of bigger fish to fry and not enough resources to do it.

I have decided to go with a Motorola TLKR. I'll order it this weekend. Just to make sure I don't order the wrong PTT, could someone please send me a link to the correct item. Sorry for being a numb wit on this hahaha

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.