Where do you get your lipos from?

Trojan

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I would like to purchase 11.1/7.4 lipos (1-2 for now) and a charger to charge them. Wheres the best place to get lipos in the UK, should I be looking at hobbyking or component shop?

I also don't need NIMH/NICD charger because my smart charger already charges NIMHs

and what C rating should I go for, 25c - 30c or is 20c good enough

• Supporters

component shop are decent, hobbyking can be hit and miss.

the C rating is entirely dependent on the capacity of the battery, if you're using a 1000mAh battery you'll want to go for 25C+, but if you're rocking out some gigantic 3700mAh beast then 10C is more than adequate.

Multiply the A (not mA) rating of the battery by the C rating and that'll give you the discharge rate in amps, for a standard AEG I recommend between 25 and 30 as being the sweet spot, if you're running a high-torque setup or pulling big springs then more is better.

Am I using mini or regular deans? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390266120100?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

OK so I am running high torque with power springs... will definitely need more.

Is this battery good (as long as I measure my stock to measure the fit) http://www.componentshop.co.uk/11-1v-2600mah-cranestock-battery.html

Could you link me to a thread that explains what the discharge rate actually is and what it does?

• Supporters

There's no scale on that picture so there's no way to know if they're mini or regular, most airsoft stuff is done with mini deans though, should be about 10-12mm across.

I remember you're rocking a 500fps setup with an M140 spring, you're gonna need a lot of amps to pull that back rapidly, that battery will burst to 108A which is more than enough to cycle it. Though, since you're semi-auto only you may wish to consider a 14.8V battery to really give it some oomph, providing you're running a decent motor and are using a good quality MOSFET to bypass your trigger contacts 14.8v (along with a decent discharge rate) will more or less guarantee no lockups as well as providing extremely fast trigger response.

As for how discharge rate works, I don't know of a forum thread that details it, sorry! I'm working from 15 year old memories of A Level physics :)

No lock ups? Thank god! I keep getting lock ups when pulling the trigger. I found the fix for that though, so if anyone else has any lock ups simply tell them to shoot properly.

Seriously, lock ups happen due to poor trigger control because when we imitate real guns we go pew pew pew and fire as quick of a pull as possible, this is bad in airsoft terms because it doesn't allow the cut off lever to engage properly and a quick pull gives barely enough connection anyway. What we should do is cycle the trigger properly, pulling it all the way back.

A 14.8.. that sounds highly awesome and highly ........ lots of volts lol. I am using a good quality non ab FET which so far has never actually gotten warm at all when used properly (heats up when motor is in reverse polarity hahah)

Where do they sell 14.8s and are they safe for the motor? It sounds ideal for my setup. Also for chargers will I have to get a very expensive fancy one, how much should I budget for batteries and charger? I don't mind spending more but I guess I have to wait because as you see I am in the process of revamping and touching up my current gun and that can get expensive.

• Supporters

You can buy 14.8v LiPos from component shop, any decent LiPo charger will work with them (they're just a 4 cell LiPo where an 11.1v is a 3 cell), IMAX B6 or Turnigy Accucell are what I'd recommend. Cost wise probably £70-80 for the lot?

You'll need to buy a good quality motor to run a 14.8v setup, but if you're doing a 500fps AEG you'll NEED a good motor just for it to work at all.

Regarding gearbox lockups, good shooting technique is of course always recommended with a full trigger pull each time going a long way to alleviate v2 lockups but it's not 100% guaranteed, all it takes is a bit of motor overspin to put your piston 3/4 of the way back and a battery which is close to 'dead' and it'll lock... full trigger pull or not! If anything, I'd recommend you get a good quality active braking MOSFET (ASCU, Spectre, Chimera, etc) and remove the anti reversal latch entirely.

My stock size , approx 3.8cm wide, 3.5cm tall and about 14cm long (buffer tube part not crane stock) so this one will fit: http://www.componentshop.co.uk/14-8v-2200mah-25c-continuous-discharge.html

No worries for the motor. I've done my homework. Lonex A2.

How many shots at 440fps would 2200 actually last. the prices arent that bad, can always buy a second later and get a good charger to last forever now

• Supporters

I wouldn't be able to give a reliable guess but it'll be lower than you'd expect (bigger spring takes more energy to pull) but if you're running the gun as a semi auto sniper platform you're probably not going to be emptying whole high caps game in game out (if you are, you're doing it wrong!) so battery life is unlikely to be an issue.

A conservative estimate would be that you might get 800 shots out of a big battery like that with the setup you're using... it'd probably be much more, but I'd say no less than 800. All dependent on a huge array of factors though.

I wouldn't be able to give a reliable guess but it'll be lower than you'd expect (bigger spring takes more energy to pull) but if you're running the gun as a semi auto sniper platform you're probably not going to be emptying whole high caps game in game out (if you are, you're doing it wrong!) so battery life is unlikely to be an issue.

A conservative estimate would be that you might get 800 shots out of a big battery like that with the setup you're using... it'd probably be much more, but I'd say no less than 800. All dependent on a huge array of factors though.

Ok great.

As for 14.8 I think I'll actually tone it down to 11.1 because a lot of people say 14.8 are only used for extreme set ups and experienced techs, none of this I am ;P

As well as the fact 14.8 will ruin motor brushes very quick on my A2.

These have very high discharge rates and should accommodate. http://www.componentshop.co.uk/11-1v-2200mah-50c-continuous-discharge.html

http://www.componentshop.co.uk/11-1v-2200mah-35c-continuous-discharge.html

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.