RC aircraft

Josh95

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys, One of my other hobbies is flying scale RC aircraft. Thought I would share with you guys who might be interested some pictures of my old planes / my dads.

Unfortunately my flying club banned the use of jet turbines and had to sell them all, the only plane i currently own is the T26. (white one)

post-9779-0-74640200-1407096587_thumb.jpg

post-9779-0-48898200-1407096591_thumb.jpg

post-9779-0-96354200-1407096594_thumb.jpg

post-9779-0-50243500-1407096602_thumb.jpg

post-9779-0-51152400-1407096613_thumb.jpg

post-9779-0-92283100-1407096616_thumb.jpg

Basically rich guys bought these jets, came over the field with little flying experience of even prop planes. They flew once crashed, and of course a hard impact + flammable/volatile substances such as propane/Kerosene/butane = explosion + fire because of dry grass. The fire department had to be called multiple times and basically the council got sick of it. Its a shame because the more experienced pilots never had many issues with it. Flying one of the jets is such an amazing experience they can fly at speeds of 200mph, doing a low flyby watching it whizz past its exhilarating. There are some places in the UK that allow it but, the people that run it are nob heads basically.

• Supporters

What's it cost to get started with something like that?

When I was younger I was given a 1:24 Spitfire with (I think) a petrol engine. It was totally knackered and my neighbour helped me pull it apart/work on it but we never got it flying (I was only about 9 I think).

Would love to give it a go.

Also won a swish RC helicopter once. Took it home, attempted to fly it. Promptly destroyed it and most of my mothers' plants in the garden. Was not permitted to get another one. (The most worrying thing perhaps is that I'm part qualified for a PPL)

To start find your local flying club, go along to one of their flying days and just watch them fly and ask some questions.

buy a trainer aircraft, something like this http://www.rcmodelcentre.co.uk/Black-Horse-Sedona/prod_2718.html

You can buy one second hand, even if its a bit tatty them trainer aircraft are nice to fly.

You'll need a Radio,

http://www.hobbyexpress.com/dx5e_5_channel_transmitter_only_mode_2_1034654_prd1_1034663_prd1.htm

I use a DX6 i think, its important to buy a 2.4GHz radio not one of the old antenna ones.

You can probably buy all you need for about £150, im not to sure on prices.

You will need to fly with an instructor for your first flights before you pass your "A" test, just ask around at your local club for an instructor. Some will do for free some wont, the "A" test is very easy its just flying in a square doing some figure of 8's and landing followed with some safety questions.

The trainer I linked used an IC engine, some people prefer to fly electric. You can buy electric trainers aswell, I dont like electric much because theres no noise and after 20mins you have to recharge.

Check out this website

http://www.bmfa.org/

Its the British model flying association

This page is very helpful, basically sums up what i said in more detail

http://www.bmfa.org/Info/GettingStarted/GettingStartedinRC/tabid/122/Default.aspx

• Supporters

Much appreciated good sir!

Being the 'legal guy' for most of the forum, it shames me to ask, but are there any restrictions/rules about public spaces?

I've got a HUGE recreation ground behind my house - which is probably empty 80% of the time and strikes me as the perfect place for this sort of thing - is it okay just to go fly somewhere, or are there restrictions stating where you can/can't fly?

The BMFA site only mentions insurance re: crashing places/damaging peoples' gear (does imply damage to persons as well but isn't clear) and policies on disabled members!

You are allowed to fly electric powered aircraft in public areas such as parks and fields, however petrol and IC engines are not allowed because theyre quite noisy and can be a dangour to the public.

Unfortunately all IC/Petrol driven planes need to be flown at a licensed model flying club, you may be able to fly them on privately owned land im not 100% sure on that.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.