Airsoft in the rain.

rosscoc87

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I am going to be skirmishing tomorrow but it is set to be Pis*ing it down :( Is there any precautions i should take so I dont destroy my AEG? So far I have taped up the battery connectors with electrical tape but how rain resistant are airsoft guns?

Cheers

Ross

I've never bothered taking any special precautions when in the rain, do normally remove my eotech but that's because when the lens is covered in water you cant see bugger all through it. But it does depend on where your battery compartment is, I'd not be too keep on having that get soaked.

My battery compartment is in the M4 front hand gaurd so its quite exposed with holes in it. The battery itself seems quite water resistant wrapped up in plastic so I covered the connectors with tape but would the internals be ok? Obviously im not going scuba diving with it just general rain.

As far as I know standard AEG internals are fairly water resistant, so long as it's not being submerged in water everything should be fine. Leave it somewhere it can dry out properly afterwards though, you don't want rust to start forming.

• Supporters

As far as I know standard AEG internals are fairly water resistant, so long as it's not being submerged in water everything should be fine. Leave it somewhere it can dry out properly afterwards though, you don't want rust to start forming.

Surely if you pop it in the airing cupboard overnight it would be ok? My main concern is the ejection port on my HK416, not sure where water can go whilst it is open.

This thread has made me think I should have some tape to cover the buttplate and ejection port in case it rains.

Surely if you pop it in the airing cupboard overnight it would be ok? My main concern is the ejection port on my HK416, not sure where water can go whilst it is open.

This thread has made me think I should have some tape to cover the buttplate and ejection port in case it rains.

Yeah the airing cupboard would do the trick. On a regular AEG I cant think of much that rain could do to the gun components, most should simply run off the externals and the odd drop which makes it inside should run off the outside of the gearbox/hopup/whatever without getting inside.

The main thing I'd be concerned about is the battery + connectors, if the housing is somewhat open to the elements and water made it's way inside the battery itself, I'm sure you can imagine the issues that might cause. Or a mosfet, doubt they mix well with moisture.

• Supporters

I would of thought pistol grip/motor area is main area for concern

many are sealed - some are vented/heatsink at bottom but that is a nice possible collection

point for water with a lovely bit of motor/electrics thrown in for good measure too......

you can tape up and/or apply some grease to terminals to prevent corrosion if you are that worried

but the most important thing to apply is common sense really.......

Most of it may be woodland - I don't know but not complete open fields perhaps, so you are not out

in wide open - also doubt if it really pi$$es down for too long will skirmish continue in a mud bath or

cetainly not wise to continue whilst a humid summer thunderstorm is kicking off.

presume you are in Ireland or N Scotland:

Weather Warning - Issued by the Met Office - Sunday 3rd August 2014

YELLOW WARNING of RAIN

An area of persistent and at times heavy rain will continue to move north across parts of northern England, Northern Ireland and much of Scotland.
Winds will become strong, with a risk of gales over coasts and hills.
The public should be aware of the risk of localised flooding and of disruption to transport.

Jeez strong winds or gales - that means ya BB's are gonna be way off target at times

pi$$ing down at times - yeah sounds fun

flooding/transport disruption - yeah nice journey home too

check it out in morning - look for cqb or man up and say wtf a little water never hurt anybody

best of luck

I would of thought pistol grip/motor area is main area for concern

many are sealed - some are vented/heatsink at bottom but that is a nice possible collection

point for water with a lovely bit of motor/electrics thrown in for good measure too......

you can tape up and/or apply some grease to terminals to prevent corrosion if you are that worried

but the most important thing to apply is common sense really.......

Most of it may be woodland - I don't know but not complete open fields perhaps, so you are not out

in wide open - also doubt if it really pi$$es down for too long will skirmish continue in a mud bath or

cetainly not wise to continue whilst a humid summer thunderstorm is kicking off.

presume you are in Ireland or N Scotland:

Weather Warning - Issued by the Met Office - Sunday 3rd August 2014

YELLOW WARNING of RAIN

An area of persistent and at times heavy rain will continue to move north across parts of northern England, Northern Ireland and much of Scotland.

Winds will become strong, with a risk of gales over coasts and hills.

The public should be aware of the risk of localised flooding and of disruption to transport.

Jeez strong winds or gales - that means ya BB's are gonna be way off target at times

pi$$ing down at times - yeah sounds fun

flooding/transport disruption - yeah nice journey home too

check it out in morning - look for cqb or man up and say wtf a little water never hurt anybody

best of luck

Yeah...... got caught in that today lol. I've not seen rain like that for a while! My gun seems to be fine though :D Happy days!

• Supporters

AEGs work under water guys...

As I understand it, water only really causes damage if you've got complex electronics in your gun, like programmable mosfets and stuff, because in them, water causes the signals to pass through components that can't take the current without it being lowered before passing through, because the current diverts through the water instead of going through a resistor first, or whatever.

In a simple series circuit there's effectively no danger of anything bad happening whatsoever. You might blow a fuse perhaps, or burn your motor out, but I wouldn't expect that to happen because of rain, you'd have to properly dunk it under water and hold the trigger down on auto, as if forcing something to break.

TL;DR you can play in the rain, your gun isn't going to break, or explode.

Conversely, gas guns in my experience are terrible in the rain, obviously there's no risk of them being damaged, but if my L85 gets wet it can't hit jack shit, the hop goes all over the place and the shots come out of the barrel practically sideways, it's ridiculous.

• Supporters

think it would fizzle a bit.

Why? What makes you think that? As long as the connections are reasonably watertight the battery itself is not significantly different to any other.

• Supporters

Airsofting in the rain is amazing ... perfect for Vietnam style days, always take a spare pair of clothes, a towel and be prepared to clean your guns after and you'll be fine.

Conversely, gas guns in my experience are terrible in the rain, obviously there's no risk of them being damaged, but if my L85 gets wet it can't hit jack sh*t, the hop goes all over the place and the shots come out of the barrel practically sideways, it's ridiculous.

erm, how do you tell which part of the bb is the side?

• Supporters

erm, how do you tell which part of the bb is the side?

Is that meant to be a joke? Lol

They fly out of the barrel at practically 90°, you mong.

• 2 weeks later...

From speaking to people who have played in the rain a lot it seems that most AEGs cope with the rain perfectly well with the only difference being make sure you dry the gun fully afterwards and dont just leave it to dry itself because that could start rusting your gun.

Obviously thats just common sense but other than that i havent really heard any major issues :P

JB

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.