Whats the best way to strip paint (without damaging the gun)

clumpyedge

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So recently i got my hands on a "new" gun, the gun has been painted tan but because of the way the gun is configured it would be hard to do my usual of using some fair power spray to remove the paint.

What would be the best way of doing this without damaging the black original colour of the gun? (this isnt a two tone this was paint tan by the original owner).

Thanks for your help in advance.

plastic or metal?

I'm guessing it will be very hard without damaging the original paint. I stripped paint with a screwdriver once, but the gun did looks pretty beaten up afterwards.. maybe very fine grid sandpaper? think most people would just respray it in your situation.

• Supporters

For metal or plastic you can use undiluted dettol original.

It depends on what sort of paint has been used but i strip a lot of plastic/metal/resin models and dettol is pretty good!

Whatever you use, strip EVERTHING down to barebones parts first! Knew a guy once who dunped his entire gun in industrial tar remover on the recommendation of a guy, the gun was plastic, what he got in the end was goo and the metal internals - everything plastic disintegrated.

the gun from what i can gather is pretty much all plastic bar the mechanisms and safety selector.

i have no idea what paint he used but i will say that with a test of an alcohol swap it started to shift it so i don't think its going to take anything to strong to take off.

• Supporters

Strip it down for deffo.

Also - try soaking a paper towel/lint free rag in power spray and wrapping the offending part with it. That'll allow the liquid to come into long term contact with the part without having to spray the whole thing.

Strip it down for deffo.

Also - try soaking a paper towel/lint free rag in power spray and wrapping the offending part with it. That'll allow the liquid to come into long term contact with the part without having to spray the whole thing.

i like your thinking, ill try that and if not go for the detol

I found powerspray to take half the time of detol and neat detol stinks the house out and is poisonous for animals.

There is no easy way to just cut one layer of paint back, your best option is to strip the gun back to parts to fairy and scrub them all. Then start painting black from what you have.

Krylon is pretty good paint. it's expensive, but dries fast and doesn't seem to run like cheaper halfords paints.

I found powerspray to take half the time of detol and neat detol stinks the house out and is poisonous for animals.

There is no easy way to just cut one layer of paint back, your best option is to strip the gun back to parts to fairy and scrub them all. Then start painting black from what you have.

Krylon is pretty good paint. it's expensive, but dries fast and doesn't seem to run like cheaper halfords paints.

Ive accidentally spilled nail polish remover on a stock once, paint came right off. Not sure it its harmful to the plastic though

ive used krylon a bajillion times for projects and yeah its expensive but like you say does the job better than most other paints.

ill try a few different things i think if fair power spray doesnt do the job i want it to do.

thanks for all your help guys :)

• Supporters

Ive accidentally spilled nail polish remover on a stock once, paint came right off. Not sure it its harmful to the plastic though

Uhmmm yeah - don't think I would of put it like that.....

maybe - "my dumb blonde girlfriend spilt some nail varnish remover....." perhaps

What's a guy doing with nail varnish remover - anyone remember Airplane II

William Shatner:

"What's a man doing with a bobby pin ???"

• Supporters

I have a bottle of nail varnish remover for two reasons, I hate that sticky stuff you get when you peel a label off stuff. Second as a school teacher I use it for removing marker from my desks and giving to students (boys and girls) that insist on breaking the schools dress code by having nail varnish on.

The kids always give me funny looks when they see it in my desk, like I'm Nicola at the weekend or something. These would be the same ones that seem to think I live under my desk and are shocked when they see me out and about.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.