Eye protection

Josh95

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello,

I currently use post-9779-0-76908600-1406747732_thumb.jpg

I have heard people saying on various youtube channels that it is important to wear fully sealed eye protection, obviously my glasses are not fully sealed. However i have been thinking what is the chance that a BB could actually be shot perfectly into the very small gap under my glasses?

I wear a shemag around my neck to protect it from hits, and i figure that will prevent any ricochet chances going under my glasses?

Im interest to see if anyone has any experience of yourself or other people, having BB's shot into their shooting glasses?

Ideally, I like believe one of the really good ways is wearing the mesh lower to stop your mouth and then a bandanna over it. I find bandannas useful because they are quite tight but if worn correctly, won't fog your lenses due to your breathing. Ultimately a bandanna would probably stop a bb, and I think glasses have many pros over goggles (correct me If i am wrong)

Sorry flex but in the warm weather wearing anything over a mesh mask is asking for trouble

mesh masks don't mist up at all?!?. In the hot weather a thin bandanna can last quite a long time before you get hot, and then just take it off. At the end of the day its your choice to use what you want, and if you feel safe run with it. I have never heard any stories of that but perhaps some of the veterans may have, you should probably ask one of them.

i tried putting just a paper thin bandana over it..it becomes red hot and horrible to breath with
& who wants to have that when running around the 20th just gone i was walking back to spawn thought i'd give it a try..20 seconds later thought better of it
mesh on its own allows the air to escape putting anything over it is going to push that hot air your breathing out upwards towards your goggles

yeah I guess its different for other people (obviously doh) I can wear one for 30 mins before I start getting sweaty and even then it is bearable until lunch time.

I can't remember if I saw it on here (could have been reddit or something) but a BB did go through the gap between a guy's glasses and his half face mask. Hit him underneath the eye (well, still on his really)

He lost his eyesight temporarily and blacked out because he was in shock. Fortunately, he recovered but no doubt was not a nice experience and he has worn full seal ever since. It is very rare but it can still happen if you're unlucky enough.

I have ESS Ice glasses but I will use these only for sniping. I have ASG Strike Systems goggles which I would use if I am going rifleman and I'm likely to be getting shot at much more and in close quarters.

At the end of the day we play a sport where we shoot small plastic projectiles at each other. I have known people doing this for years and years and not had any problems, however it is inevitable that accidents will happen.

Saying that you can poke your eyes on branches out whilst walking your dogs in the woods, you are probably more likely to have a car crash than have your eyes hit by bb's if wearing eye protection. It all depends on how worried you are about the likely hood of the risk. I wear mesh goggles and that's all. I often get hit in the face

• Supporters

Eye protection is the single most important expense you will have in Airsoft .. I spent over £100 on my ESS ICE glasses, being a speccy blind man I am not able to enjoy the luxury of Mesh in either comfort or sight. ( I once tried wearing my everyday glasses under mesh and fogged up like a muther ) ..

Do your research and then research again .. you only have 1 eyesight so its better to take your time and find a system that works for you, Mesh maybe the answer for you .. but with everything it comes with risks.

I use Bolle Tracker 2 goggles, not had any problem and just played a game at bunker 51 in London. Saw a few people fogged up.

Good thing is if you want you can take the foam padding off as it clips in, they also do prescription lenses for them so I was told.

Not expensive goggles at all tried mesh found it horrid and dark.

Bunker 51 very hot CQB site.

Downside I sweat a lot and the lenses coated in it.

Thanks for your opinions guys, I am going to continue wearing my shooting glasses anyway.

I forgot to mention that I also wear a mesh mouth protector anyway so the likelihood of a BB slipping through is minimal.

(The owner and most of the marshals at my ground wear the same glasses I have anyway so they must know the risks)

• Supporters

Hi Josh, it was me that brought up the article in Airsoft Action the last time we had discussions about Glasses vs Goggles. I would post a link but for some reason this forum wont let me any more. Will have to get onto Dev about it at some point. But its in "Whats the best way to stop your goggles from fogging? Post no23 although Ians one from before that is also quite useful. Not sure if anyone has links to the article or a scan of it that could put it up.

Ultimately it's your choice what you feel most comfortable with. I have chosen mesh lower and either mesh goggles or ESS V12 goggles, both provide a full seal. For 2 games way back at the beginning I used some safety glasses but within that time I got hit around my eye area a few times and once had a bb penetrate between the lenses and my face. It came to rest inside the glasses rolling around as I tilted my head.

Like many sports this is an assumed risk activity. If it makes you feel better my white water kayaking kit all comes with huge yellow labels that tell the user "kayaking is dangerous and can lead to drowning and death". You don't have to tell me as I know of people who have died in that sport, but I wouldn't get the rush I do if it was entirely safe.

• Supporters

Oh and as an additional point, just because someone else says its ok doesn't necessarily make it so. Rather than put your eyesight in the hands of the marshals take responsibility for yourself and test a set of the goggles you are using. Just make sure they are binned afterwards as they will have been severely weakened by the testing.

Its one of the things marshals at one site do if people turn up in their Oakley sunglasses claiming they are good enough. The head marshal has a fearsome sniper, they offer the guy that if he wants to wear them for the day he has to put them on the floor and it will be shot by the sniper with .40g point blank, if they survive he can use them. Noone yet has agreed to put their £100 or more glasses to the test.

• Supporters

Why do I keep reading about removing the foam? The foam is what's giving you the full seal...

Not that foam.

Some goggles (like the ESS V12 for example) have a thin layer of foam over the vent holes to give some filtration and help prevent dust/sand ingress (particularly relevant in current deployments). However this can have an impact on the efficiency of the venting so many people (myself included) remove this thin layer of foam to increase airflow. It doesn't affect the face seal at all.

At the moment I am thinking of wearing these any opinions on if this is safe or not?

http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/asgep7nx.html

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/steel_half_face_mesh_mask_black.html

Or if I should have Ess ice or something like this

http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/asges2nx.html

And also will those smith boogie glasses survive a point blank shot? :)

• Supporters

Why do I keep reading about removing the foam? The foam is what's giving you the full seal...

BBs can't get through without the foam there, I removed it from my V12s and I cannot force a BB through the gap. For the sake of argument if a BB was to shatter hitting the vents and the fragments were to continue at enough speed to damage your eyes they would tear the foam.

At the moment I am thinking of wearing these any opinions on if this is safe or not?

http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/asgep7nx.html

http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/steel_half_face_mesh_mask_black.html

Or if I should have Ess ice or something like this

http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/asges2nx.html

And also will those smith boogie glasses survive a point blank shot? :)

HI mate, I have that exact facemask in a sort of MTP pattern. It works great for me stops BB's and doesnt effect my breathing. Any ballistic grade glasses will stop any airsoft gun even at point blank just make sure theyre the real deal dont buy some Chinese dodgy ones.

HI mate, I have that exact facemask in a sort of MTP pattern. It works great for me stops BB's and doesnt effect my breathing. Any ballistic grade glasses will stop any airsoft gun even at point blank just make sure theyre the real deal dont buy some Chinese dodgy ones.

Which one are you talking about? The goggles or the glasses as I'm interested if they will do as their cheaper :)

Its not about if theyre goggles or glasses, its about the lenses. If the lenses have a certain mark (I forget what its called) proving that it is basaltic rated it will be fine for air-soft. I wear glasses because goggles tend to fogg up a bit. Remember you only have one pair of eyes so its important to protect them.

Its not about if theyre goggles or glasses, its about the lenses. If the lenses have a certain mark (I forget what its called) proving that it is basaltic rated it will be fine for air-soft. I wear glasses because goggles tend to fogg up a bit. Remember you only have one pair of eyes so its important to protect them.

Thank you

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.