Opinions, please......

skeeter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I had a bonnie issued to me in the army cadets

In Hants & IoW Battalion we only have a few crappy ones in stores, all our kit except uniform is still DPM. Most prepared cadets buy their own MTP crap hat and some commit to buying MTP webbing once they're fairly senior.

• Supporters

Difference is, in a video-game you're not likely to have people thinking you could be trying to pretend you're someone you aren't ;)

That's why I say best to just leave it, saves any upsets or disputes, some people work very hard for various things and care about who wears them and who doesn't. I know a lot of people from 7th Para- a couple who I asked about the subject just after the last time this topic came up, 1 said they'd not be bothered but advised against wearing it for the benefit of those who would be and the other said they'd not be hugely happy with it, though wouldn't make a big fuss. I imagine some others would be less impressed than that too.

Best just play it safe.

In Hants & IoW Battalion we only have a few crappy ones in stores, all our kit except uniform is still DPM. Most prepared cadets buy their own MTP crap hat and some commit to buying MTP webbing once they're fairly senior.

Cambs was always very well equipped we got given stuff by the TA's royal logistics core

if you do believe that you need to earn your colours and rank then why do we not constantly hear about wearing issue camos? Surely all the squadies should have issues with players wearing dpm and multicam, afterall it's as much your units identity as the beret is.

It's nowhere near as much of that, Monkey. The uniform itself is so generic that no one really gives a crap whether members of the public wear it- all soldiers are issued a uniform as soon as they start basic. Paras have to do multiple jumps and undergo training for survival away from friendly forces before they can earn their beret, and it's the same level of toughness for the Marines.

Uniforms are given to them, berets are earned by them.

I think Mr B hit the nail on the head, "Walting" isn't about load outs and tributes and dressing up in what you like and or respect, it about trying to pass yourself off as something you're not.

Granted, at many sites you may get some odd looks if people don't know you and they "think" you're Walting, but if the event is one where reenactors or tributes are expected, admired and appreciated, then I'm sure you'd have a great time.

I've seen some great load outs in exacting detail of US SF types and no one bats an eye lid and thinks these people are trying to pass themselves off as the real deal.

Why should it be ant different for the UK armed forces? As long as you're not trying to pass yourself off as serving military then fair play to you!

The more detail and the more accuracy the more the better! Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery.

It's all about context people.

And don't try telling the 314MMTRU their beret is easy to earn!!!!

I dont like the idea of wearing the beret personally i think we can dress up and play as much as we like but they are the things that they worked hard to earn so i stay away from that kind of thing. I get what people are saying about its fancy dress up just for respect reasons and the fact i didnt earn it i wouldnt do it.

Tbh there are ways of pulling off a loadout with an eye for detail and a bit of research with out ever having to wear any insignias, ranks or berets and possibly offending people.

If you look closely you can identify units sometimes just by the kit they wear.

these are only rough outlines for example:

If you are doing a typical para dpm loadout use a para helmet instead of a mk6

Afghan loadouts are even easier.

Early 2 para wore ddpm trousers and top, mk2 osprey with standard plce webbing over the top plus a para helmet.

Early 3 para wore ddpm trousers, ddpm ubacs with ddpm blackhawk plate carrier plus para helmet ( most with choc chip helmet netting).

Early royal marines wore ddpm trousers, dpm shirt/jacket with either dpm plce or dpm assault vest

Later marines wore ddpm trousers, ddpm ubacs but then dye the ubacs green and wore mk2 osprey.

The list goes on but I'm sure you see what I'm getting at.

So some people will recognise the load out without the need for patches.

Just to clarify I did for 1 photo in the pictures section but was for reference of a loadout, but would never airsoft with them.

I would never claim to be something I'm not by wearing the lid, but I could see how it would cause some people to be disgruntled, hence the post.

I presume that rank insignia is frowned upon for the same reason, I.e, they are earned?

Russe11, the fez MUST be worn, fella!

I would never claim to be something I'm not by wearing the lid, but I could see how it would cause some people to be disgruntled

A lid is a lid, its only a bit of kit that maybe a particular unit will use or is issued, but isn't wrong to wear unlike a beret that is earnt.

I would never claim to be something I'm not by wearing the lid, but I could see how it would cause some people to be disgruntled, hence the post.

I presume that rank insignia is frowned upon for the same reason, I.e, they are earned?

Russe11, the fez MUST be worn, fella!

I do all WW2 stuff now. I spent ages working out how to wear a shemagh with it to create an Aladdin like turban. We had a load of us planning to do a milsim together and so we thought a Fez might make quite a good uniform. The milsim got moved to a different location and then got postponed, I bought a sten and now my silly hat is an Aussie Slouch hat :D

Correct, rank is earned especially officer rank so people get a little touchy about wearing it.

I think the whole beret thing has been explained sufficiently but I will add this - even if its not badged the maroon/green beret has wider connotations - nearly every other western nation has their Airborne with a maroon beret and commandos with a green, to wear it without earning it even if not badged is in my view disrespectful of the effort it takes to earn such an item as they are rightly held in high regard by the military.

If I saw you wearing any colour beret I personally wouldn't have any qualms about it, The only thing I think is wrong is when people wear Rank badges or Battalion Badges. I think you should only wear a sergeant or Captain Rank for example if you've earned them. On a side note, armed forces generally dont wear berets into battle anymore anyway I think Captains or Commanding officers might but im not sure, theyre mainly just for dress.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.