Opinions, please......

skeeter

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I am obviously a newbie and still building up loadouts etc. I have considered using either the maroon beret of The Parachute Regiment or the green beret of the Marines (amongst others) However, I have always been a great believer that those are earned through bloody hard work and would not wish to disrespect anyone who has served or, indeed the respective regiments themselves.

I would like to get people's opinions (especially from current or ex service people) whether this would be a no-no or to just go ahead as a tribute.

Cheers.

• Supporters

As long as you don't have the badge on it it shouldn't cause too much controversy. You may be singled out as a potential walt though.

• Supporters

Others might have a different opinion, but if its for a load-out portrayal there shouldn't be a problem, as long as you don't go round pretending to be something you are not nor have been. Otherwise you will get ripped apart and mocked to high heaven .. which is not a nice thing.

Im not an ex serviceman however. Your clearly not trying to portray that you were a marine so would therefore suggest that it is a tribute to those people and as such should go ahead with your loadout.

Bullet

There's a lot of ex forces airsofters, and many of them are site owners or marshals- my local's owner is an ex Para, and I'm sure he wouldn't take a kind view of someone strutting around wearing the maroon lid and pretending to be part of the regiment. That sort of thing can give people the wrong impression.

If I were you, OP, I'd use a navy blue/black beret. They aren't associated with regiments where you have to do tough training to earn the right to wear them.

I wear a maroon beret with Airborne on it with my ww2 kit.......

Reenacting/WW2 airsoft is different. I would err on the side of caution and use something else.

I had a TRF patch on my DPM BDU shirt and a couple guys told me to take it off. I don't see much of a problem with them, unless the person is actually making out they are in the military when they're not.

If you went to the trouble of accurately replicating a specific loadout of one guy or something then yeah I could see what is wrong with that but one or two regimental things is not a big deal IMO.

I'd say it was fine, I could be wrong but id say it could compare to US special forces impressions? Could be because we live in the UK but its just my view.

• Supporters

In most cases I would say if you haven't earned it then don't wear it. It's a hard one with berets without the badges. Without the badge it would strike me that you are showing respect for a unit without pretending you are in it. But realistically you may get a hard time, perhaps this is a question for the players at your regular sites and if people question it you simply pull out another lid then approach the player at another point in time to explain why you had chosen to wear that particular colour. Mainly because if you respond at the time the person may not listen to your point of view, if you give them a chance to chill after talking to you then you may find them more receptive.

Or just stay kind of realistic- the only unit even remotely connected with the military who wear a beret out into the field (well, the only one I know about other than perhaps basic training) are Army Cadets who are too thick to buy a field hat/boonie. Even then the mongs among us (geddit?) who end up with the berets on have to take out the cap badge to eliminate any reflectiveness.

• Supporters

Unit badges for me are a huge no no as are rank slides. But I guess it depends on the person and situation.

We do have a guy in our team we call the colonel he's in his late 50's and he was given the "rank" as a bit of a joke by a group of kids he used to take to airsoft games. His loadout is British DPM with an M4A1 and a drum mag, he carries an American water bottle on his belt that is filled with bbs. He wears a beret in games, its sort of a dark tan colour ( a darker colour than the SAS one) and has a cap badge, but for the Saudi military police which I believe was a gift from them when he was over there working. He's probably the least tactical player I've ever met but we have a fantastic time at games with him about.

Thanks to you all. I shall err on the side of caution and wear a fez. No, not really, I'll invest in a boonie.

Last thing I would want to do is cause any friction.

• Supporters

Dude people have done a Fez on here in DDPM! Think it even had Molle. Check out the DIY thread I think it was in

Found it! No waaaaaay. Fantastic.......

However, idea and semi humorous comment shattered. Lol

If you feel uncomfortable with it, dont do it.

For me I don't get the issue. Loads of people wear uniforms they have not earned in computer games every day and I don't hear anyone complaining about that. What's the difference between that and live action roleplay, which is essentially what you're doing. When outside the roleplay, don't claim to be something you're not... you might also consider not wearing the uniform to and from games, as you will encounter people who do not roleplay and might not realise that is what you're doing.

• Supporters

If you feel uncomfortable with it, dont do it.

For me I don't get the issue. Loads of people wear uniforms they have not earned in computer games every day and I don't hear anyone complaining about that. What's the difference between that and live action roleplay, which is essentially what you're doing. When outside the roleplay, don't claim to be something you're not... you might also consider not wearing the uniform to and from games, as you will encounter people who do not roleplay and might not realise that is what you're doing.

Spoken like someone who's never worked really, really bloody hard to earn something like a beret.

Spoken like someone who's never worked really, really bloody hard to earn something like a beret.

Never earned a beret in my life.

Tell me then, what's the difference between video games and airsoft? And why does our guns look so much like the real thing if we're not imitating what we are not when skirmishing?

Or just stay kind of realistic- the only unit even remotely connected with the military who wear a beret out into the field (well, the only one I know about other than perhaps basic training) are Army Cadets who are too thick to buy a field hat/boonie. Even then the mongs among us (geddit?) who end up with the berets on have to take out the cap badge to eliminate any reflectiveness.

I had a bonnie issued to me in the army cadets

• Supporters

Never earned a beret in my life.

Tell me then, what's the difference between video games and airsoft? And why does our guns look so much like the real thing if we're not imitating what we are not when skirmishing?

The difference between video games and airsoft?

In airsoft you get to choose exactly what you wear... in a video game generally you don't. Among about a thousand other differences.

• Supporters

The thing is dressing in a certain manner in real life can imply that you come from that background, especially with some people lying about it when questioned. Not to mention in real life you don't have an avatar, you are yourself wearing a costume that may or may not have a grain of truth behind it. Conversely you would never think someone works for a PMC because they got the hero skin in DayZ.

I think aside from a number of other reasons being kitted out in a certain manner in the flesh is a lot more tangible than pressing 1 or 2 on the team select screen in Day of Defeat.

For me, berets with a historic impression are fine. Berets with modern gear though are just pretending to be something you're not.

I have a maroon beret, it has the WW2 version of the Royal Engineers badge and is for use with a WW2 British Para loadout. It's my way of helping people realise that a significant number of the men who fought at the bridge at Arnhem and in other locations were not Parachute Regiment. The Para's get all the glory but there's no point dropping behind enemy lines to capture a bridge without having the guys who can prevent it being blown up.

I wore a fully badged up hat on Sunday. Australian commonwealth forces badge and 2/31st battalion colour patch on an Aussie slouch hat. No-one complained, but I guess no-one had a clue what the badges were :) 2/31st Battalion is unusual in that it's an Aussie unit that was formed in Wiltshire. After Dunkirk, men were wanted for the possible defence of Britain and Australia had some men aboard a ship that was meant to be going to Palestine. They were all support troops for other units but got diverted to Britain and were formed into 3 rifle battalions and were trained on Salisbury plain.

Incidentally, I still have my DDPM fez. It never got used as the milsim didn't happen :(

For me, berets with a historic impression are fine. Berets with modern gear though are just pretending to be something you're not.

You would say that thou! :)

The difference between video games and airsoft?

In airsoft you get to choose exactly what you wear... in a video game generally you don't. Among about a thousand other differences.

Choosing a SF loudout in a videogame is not ok then? or choosing a video game where you play as SF? or making a videogame with a SF loadout?

In all honesty, might actually see where you're coming from. Didn't use to be very happy about people playing games that re enacted battles that my relatives had been in.. Neither of film and games companies making money on their sacrifices. Long time ago thou!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.