The reliable guns and non reliable guns.

team flex

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I will fill this in as we go along. I currently know nothing about a lot of brands, especially gas gun brands, so I am hoping to expand it.

I want to try and make this a thread where people check to see if the gun they are going to buy is reliable or not, if people add in descriptions as to why they are not reliable that would help a lot. Thanks
This thread is trying to understand the reliable guns to get and the non reliable. This is everything from generally breaking to not feeding to having to spend a lot of money to keep it going, you know what I mean. This is mainly for gas guns but I will add in aegs anyway. Feel free to add any other brands, I will just add them in as I go along.

OK first off:

WE.
Reliable:

Non reliable:

1. Hi-capa? -please confirm-

GHK:

reliable:

1. g5 (47frizzle)

2. ak74 (47frizzle)

3. akm (47frizzle)

non reliable:

G&P:

reliable:

non reliable:

Tokyo marui:

reliable:

1. ak47

very long lasting, internals are good and never put on a strain (UTJ)

non reliable:

1. vsr G-spec

trigger sear and piston sear not good enough, material not very good (the alloy is though) (UTJ)

cyma:

reliable:

1.28s

A few problems with it like the front sight but a reliable gun nevertheless. (hendy)

non reliable:

1.cm031

improperly shimmed gears, shell badly made. Internals good and parts good. (UTJ)

KJW:

reliable:

1.m700-debatable.

parts wear which mean money will have to be spent, however if cared for and maintained a reliable gun. (tac)

2.KC02 (cptdumbass)

non reliable:

1.m92f

heavy zinc slide, poor efficiency with gas due to poor sealing. badly cast piston head. (UTJ)

Here's some guns I've had experience with. Might add more,cba at the moment since I'm trying to unfuck the bearings on my bike.

Marui-

Ak47s. I'd say Reliable. gearbox is low stress so it will last long. It's like big american V8s that put out 200-odd HP. It has potential to have insane power output but it's a nice under powered unit that growls along and gets the job done despite the low power and some questionable internal parts.

Only gripe is that the gearset can be a bit crappy at times. Sector gear especially,external air bubbles and overall rough molding. Spur and bevel can be sintered pretty badly too. But otherwise out of the box it should not really fail. Mine was 8 years old and an ex-rental so it has had an insane amount of rounds through.

VSR Gspec. Unreliable. Sintered zinc trigger sear and piston sear are not up to the task. The alloy used is good but the material simply does not stand up to the task. Piston is made out of ABS or polycarbonate,and the catch part is not strong enough for a 45 degree mechanism. Design of the 45 degree trigger mech is also stressful and the sears and piston are likely to fail on the stock spring. Mine only lasted about 10,000 rounds.

But funnily enough,people have used a lathe to turn back the plastic on the piston catch to a 90 degree one and they are surviving 130 and 140 spring reliably! Shows the wasted potential of the VSR IMO. I have a little review up of the whole thing where I go over this sort of bollocks in more detail.

CYMA:

CM031- Unreliable. Gears were shimmed improperly. the whole shell was cast off spec leading to bushings sitting crokkedlly and at weird angles causing gears to mesh badly,leading frequent lockup and horrible grinding,gun was literally impossible to shim. Shell had to be completely replaced for reliable working. The aprts were not bad however- Standard chinese gears which handles 140 springs usually,nice piston,air seal parts and hopup. Motor was good too. However when you have a casing cast out of a mold made out of dogshit that all goes to waste. CYMA make nice guns for the price and all but far too often their QC is atrocious.

KJW

M92f- Unreliable. Heavy zinc slide. Poor sealing of the nozzle and mag gas lips leads to poor efficiency. Could get around 12 shots off at most before venting. Magazine seals poor quality,had to seal them with silicone to stop leaking. Piston head cast badly and sealed poorly with nozzle. Despite all the issues it still worked when I pulled it out but I could never be trustful of it. On Co2 magazines efficiency was improved but no better than a plastic slide marui pistol.

• Supporters

A stock vsr can last for ages,the stock for spec I bought must've had at least 30k rounds through it. Upgraded then it'll break but firing 290ish stock they're fine tbh

Cyma 28s I have is reliable just a few problems. The front sight has fell down and I dont have a clue how to get it back up , the part that separates the gearbox and where the battery is stored has broken off the screw that holds it down and the battery compartment is very small if you have a long wire on your battery pack you might have trouble fitting it.

A stock vsr can last for ages,the stock for spec I bought must've had at least 30k rounds through it. Upgraded then it'll break but firing 290ish stock they're fine tbh

should I change it do you believe? I have heard a lot saying a stock sniper is useless...

Cyma 28s I have is reliable just a few problems. The front sight has fell down and I dont have a clue how to get it back up , the part that separates the gearbox and where the battery is stored has broken off the screw that holds it down and the battery compartment is very small if you have a long wire on your battery pack you might have trouble fitting it.

ok thanks, will be added in :)

KJW

M700- clone of the more expensive Tanaka model, so there's quite a bit of parts commonality when upgrading. The striker can wear down over time (and we're talking very heavy use) and the G&G steel replacement/upgrade is too durable, as the stock striker plate on the magazine can be damaged and worn down by it, meaning you'd have to spend about £40 on a steel replacement.

The Takedown model flexes slightly because of the join, and I have read about them having an inconsistent seal between both parts.

Mags can leak sometimes, and usually around the fill valve. Best solutions are to either tighten the valve (this can wear the valve's head down if you use a sharp screwdriver) or buy new O rings. I bought a 419 piece set and the 2nd smallest size fits the long mag perfectly, the rubber's just a little thick for the short mag.

Barrel- stock barrel is ok at best. I'm hitting man sized targets most of the time at 40-50m and I've hit targets further away than that at skirmishes. You have to watch your suppressor adaptor though, they can fall out veeeeery easily and wobble about if not fitted properly. I'm fitting a 6.02mm tightbore next week and I'll be experimenting with that.

The hop unit is a pretty odd design- it's operated by twisting a ratcheted disk, which screws down a thread and puts pressure onto the wedge shaped nub. Mine needed a little TLC and sorting out to get the best performance, and I'll hopefully be making more with a 3D printer next year in various designs (PT247 I can offer you 1 or 2 if I manage to perfect one).

Judgement: reliable if you maintain it and clean it periodically if you use green gas, the silicone in it wreaks havoc on the hop rubber and other seals.

filling them all in. I understand M_P. I think I may leave it unreliable, but for its cost. is that a good idea in your opinion?

EDIT: filled them all in, I think I may put kwa in as well, feel free to tell me if anything isn't right/ want to change something. Keep the guns coming! thanks for the contributors so far :) internet cookies for you

Give_That_Man_A_Cookie_meme.jpg

KJW - Unreliable
P226 and P229 -showing their age, as the designs are a few years old now. In warmer climates they run well enough, but in colder, milder temperatures, both pistols suffer reliability issues. Leaks gas quite badly, due to rough construction around the piston. The use of heavy metal slides do not help gas efficiency, especially in colder weather. Recoil is mild - it does not 'feel' correct. For the P226, the magazine seals are awful, and the things fail at the drop of a hat. P229 magazines are better, but still fail frequently. Added bonus, the P226 can use TM P226 magazines. Due to the leaks and poor seals, the FPS and range of this pistol is not consistent, and can be incredibly variable.
For the price, and their age, they're not bad. It's rare for parts to break, which is also good. The downside - is that for a large part of the year they simply don't work properly in the UK, and for that reason I'm listing them as unreliable.
I should add that while CO2 kits/versions are available, I have not bothered to try them, largely because I stopped using both my P226 and P229 by the time KJW released the CO2 stuff.

WE - Reliable
F228 (P228)

Feeds flawlessly, even in very cold weather. It's possible to empty a full 40 rounds in 9 degree temperatures before it starts to cool down or stop firing. Recoil is crisp and firm, it actually feels like you're firing something. The weight and balance is fine. Barrel and hop up are a good combination, produce fairly nice range and accuracy, with good consistency. Minimal gas leaks (however, using the de-cocker forcefully, as in full on ramming it, can occasionally cause the gun to momentarily vent gas). Can use KJW P229 magazines (not that you'd want to). Am unaware of parts breaking. FPS is around the 290-310 mark, and remains consistent.
CO2 magazines are available, but I have yet to feel the need to use them. In my opinions, reliability is good enough without them.

I could mention WE's L85 but won't go into detail, as it seems that a lot of other owners have different opinions of it. Some people feel the need to replace everything, others (like myself) have managed to continue using it with the original stock components. All I'll say is that fitting an NPAS is a must, and that the W.E bolt carrier is utter shite, but there aren't really any good alternatives.

• Supporters

That's the thing with WE guns in general their quality control level means they don't fit in either section really as it's down to luck- though of course they have certainly improved recently

+we 1911 - unreliable.
+kjw p229 magazines - unreliable

+cyma cm.045, cm.048, cm.050 - reliable

+cyma cm.028 - rubbish externals. internally... my brothers have stopped working (have not had a look at it), but also know people who used them hard for many years
+G&P AR - reliable

anyone got any information on kjw 10/22? wish KWA would make a 10/22 PTR, classic wooden or polymer stock.. but as it's a civilian rifle I doubt it will ever happen.

A stock sniper is useless but that doesn't mean it's unreliable

My VSR may have been a lemon,there's a lot to go wrong in powder metallurgy especially with zinc thus causing the failure earlier than it should have.

That said the stock vsr will break at the piston and sears,that's a guaranteed fact.It's just a matter of when.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.