CPU underclocking when playing games?!

AK47frizzle

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So for about a month, my laptop automatically overclocked and produce a tonne of heat and noise for that month and I wondered why. It is limited to 2.5 Ghz and when overclocked, it goes to max of 3.5 Ghz. This month, it's been way over 2.5, around the 3.4 region and it's been burning the wood table it's on.

Yesterday, I decided to install AMD OverDrive to see the readings, and in OverDrive, I saw this option that "Turbo Core" was enabled... I unchecked it and suddenly, my laptop cooled right the feck down and I looked at the task manager readings said that the speed was at 2.45 Ghz max. Happy days! Solved it! But no... I haven't.

So today i decided to play some games like I usually do, a bit of insurgency and maybe some unity 3d games for some trolling... what I got was a complimentary bag of insane lag and lowered frame rates.

I then looked at the task manager and OverDrive readings and both said that the frequency of the processor was 0.85 Ghz constant during gameplay... I mean... what the fudge? Why would it suddenly lower the speed for gaming?

I'm really confused.. any help?

1st of all laptops are not made for gaming at all.

Its not really an overclock, its more of a boost to enable it to play the games you want, because of that it gets hot and loud, hot and loud means you are shortening the lifespan of your laptop an excessive amount when you play games.

Turbomode makes the laptop push itself to keep up with the game.

It seems that when you de-activated it, the laptop has gone into recommended settings and when you launch a game it slows it down a bit so it does not get hot and risk frying the solder on your mobo.

I cant say for sure as I would need to look into it and diagnose it, if you want add me on steam and I will help you out when I finish work.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/cropzy/

Right so further investigation, I played minecraft for a bit. Immediately went down to 0.85 GHz but the thing is, before playing, each core (I have 4) was at 21 degrees C, when playing, they dropped to 14 degrees C. GPU however was at 45 C and went up to 54 C, so that's still the same as ever.

If I enable turbo core again, it'll just be extremely hot and noisy. Before it started to become hot a month ago, it was playing everything fine and the speed was at or below 2.5 GHz.

Hmmm....

Edit: Holy shet, the temp is 0 - 3 degrees C when turbo core in on.... wut the hell...

54c isn't abnormal when playing games. Especially on a laptop as they have next to no cooling.

My graphics card gets to 90c at full load and thats normal for a gtx card.

Do you actually have a stand alone graphics card in your laptop? What one?

54c isn't abnormal when playing games. Especially on a laptop as they have next to no cooling.

My graphics card gets to 90c at full load and thats normal for a gtx card.

Do you actually have a stand alone graphics card in your laptop? What one?

Radeon 8650g, but it doesn't matter now as cropzy convinced me to build a pc and if i sell my laptop now, i'll still get a decent amount of money to fund it.

Anyway, turn turbo core back on. Just gonna leave it.

just get a fan pad for the laptop to sit on. i always have mine on it and keeps it alot cooler then the little fans in the laptop. also stops it catching fire to stuff.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.