WE Europe Announce GBB Mk17 SCAR Heavy

Airsoft-Ed

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

Just looking for a post to pin up as evidence now, but it's been flying around Facebook all morning.

Personally I'm disappointed it isn't a more interesting weapon platform, we've already got a SCAR L and the SCAR platform is essentially just an M4 in every aspect of functionality and control surfaces.

I had my fingers crossed for a G3 or SLR, but at least now there's a gas blowback battle rifle, it might open the flood gates for other designs.

• Supporters

• Supporters

I love the fact that 80% of airsofters were asking for a GBBR SCAR H, but then complain when WE announces that they're releasing one. :ph34r:

Anyway, I imagine that it should have better gas efficiency than the Scar L due to the larger magazine? But with the heavier bolt, it should be about the same performance.

More gas efficiency maybe, but you'll only have about 20 BB capacity. Maybe it could be converted to a DMR easily with a high flow valve, lightweight bolt and TBB + better hop/nub

• Supporters

The open bolt mechanism utilises the bolt's size in order to expand the gas, so it will use more gas and kick harder because of it even if the bolt physically weighs about the same.

So in terms of gas used per shot efficiency, it can only get worse.

But in terms of how many shots you can get from a gas fill, it could potentially be better, which is ironic as the mags will likely hold less ammo.

• Supporters

yeah, if they've got any sense they'll have used all the 'spare' gas to make it kick really f*cking hard. It's nice being able to get 3 mags worth of BBs from one fill of gas, but with a reservoir that big there's no excuse for it to not kick like a mule.

Also, this + NPAS = GBB DMR orgasm.

• Supporters

Depends on the gun, the SCAR-L is perfectly servicable, as is the G39.

All gas guns suffer from 'cooldown', it's simple physics. The more gas it takes to cycle the bolt the more cooling will occur inside the magazine, the smaller the magazine reservoir the more pronounced this effect becomes.

• Supporters

My Glock, SCAR and L85 all seem to function perfectly without issue regardless of cool down.

I once tested my L85 by spamming all 9 mags through it as fast as I could on semi auto, in the middle of April, and it didn't stop functioning properly until I got to the 7th mag. At which point the bolt carrier had a layer of ice on it, and then it still managed to JUST finish all 9 mags.

Still locked on the last shot even after that as well.

Used it in as low as 4°C without issue too, pretty confident it's good for near all year use.

I've never had too much of an issue with my G39, only time I remember it slowing down was at STANTA Easter '13 when it snowed. Since then I wrap the mags in a thin sheet of foam and sniper tape, seems to work for me when it starts to get cold and nasty for GBBR users between October and April.

• 2 months later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.