PC Troubleshooting - 'User Data Profile Error'

Airsoft_Mr B

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Really need help fixing this problem on my computer. I appreciate this isn't a PC forum but I was hoping that some members on here may be able to help out. Thanks very much in advance for any advice.

I've had it for ages now and it means that basically I can't log onto my main account. Luckily enough I had actually made a second account as a backup shortly before the error occured, which is why I can still use the computer.

However, because I'm not the admin, it doesn't let me download anything etc. For example, right now I'm trying to play Insurgency but there's a problem and I need to run Steam in admin mode. Yet I can't log in due to the data error.

I need help to complete the first method.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Seemed simple enough, but you have to start your PC in safe mode before doing it. I remember trying this what must have been a few months ago. IIRC it took many many attempts and when I finally booted up in safe mode, I then couldn't do the process anyway!! As in, there wasn't even the shortcut there or the files in the start menu or on the desktop to go to the directory and fix the problem.

Secondly, since I have two accounts, there are three of these files in the directory (I can view it when not in safe mode) however in the troubleshooting guide it only talks about two. I guess it's assuming you only have the one account or something. The names of the files look different so this is confusing and I'm not sure which ones exactly I need to change.

Apologies for my bad description, but I have not tried to resolve this problem again recently as I was going to take it to the local computer shop but decided I should ask for help and see if I could potentially resolve this myself.

Found the S-1-5 folders.

s15_folders.png

So I need help establishing which of these folders I need to change. Hope I explained it well enough, but I can try to elaborate on anything if need be. Thanks again if anyone can help me with this!

• AF-UK Founding Member

What's this got to do with port forwarding?

From the guide, it looks like you should be able to look through all the folders and double click on the "ProfileImagePath" key (from the right pane), and then look at the value. This will tell you what account you're looking at. If it's the right one you're good, else look in the next long folder.

• Supporters

You are looking for the two folders that have your username in the profile image path "file" on the right hand side. It would be along the lines of C:\users\airsoft_mr_b

It sounds like you are getting the old temporary profile issue where it lets you login but all your files are missing, like in this thread http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/20497-denied-access-to-windows-profilehelp/

:)

Just a guess though as your screenshot is tiny but it looks like that registry key again. If so I would follow the instructions I wrote/stole in there.

Edit: Basically what Devastator said.

Thanks very much for the replies guys!! The guide says I need to start in safe mode, how important do you think it is that I do that? As aforementioned it was really difficult and time consuming to do it, and then it wouldn't work IIRC.

Going to try it soon and hopefully can finally sort this problem out.

• AF-UK Founding Member

Hold F8 when the PC starts to boot (make sure before the windows logo appears).

Failing that just pull the power and next time you boot it'll ask you how you want to boot as there was an issue last time.. this is a bit more risky cos something else could go wrong with the premature shutdown, but not had anything bad happen to me yet..

• 1 month later...

You can always press the windows key and r (when logged in) then type in "msconfig" without quotes, select the boot tab and tick safe boot, then click ok and reboot.

Sorry to post in the necro thread. I am finally getting around to doing this cos I've put it off way too long.

Just tried that way and it won't work since I need admin permission (and that's the account I'm trying to fix)

Holding F8 doesn't seem to do anything...hasn't worked once out of three or four times I've tried, but I don't see why it wouldn't work / what I could be doing wrong. (tried starting to hold the key down at different times / for different lengths of time and so on)

The easiest and quickest way I found to get round this was to just do a system restore to a point just before the error occurred. I've yet to find a permanent fix though. It happens on 2 outa the 3 Windows 7 pc's in my household periodically.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.