Custom Helmet build advise - Baltskin Viper

pezza2000

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Evening all,

I was looking at at airsoft helmets/masks and came across this:

batlskin4.jpg

Now a company called Revision sell these for $1200 or something like that and doing a bit of research these are quite bulky like a motorcycle helmet which has means you have to aim in a unique way.

I wouldn't mind making a new helmet/compact which was tighter but has the same design.

Can anyone recommend a visor plastic which i can cut/shape which will withstand 550fps at most?

Not sure if plexiglass can withstand airsofting.

Regards,

not sure about standards.. but some plexi can withstand a lot more than a BB at 550fps..

and soft pet type plastic can withstand loads of blunt force.. take an empty pet bottle, and try to lit it up with a hot aeg and a few shots with an airsoft sniper rifle.. likely there will be no penetration.. not take a sledge hammer and hit it in the middle.. likely no penetration. sure, if you get a full auto burst in your face at close range you might have to make a new visor due to it being deformed, but it's very unlikely your eyes will be hurt!

love the helmet btw, looks like you can fit glasses under it, might look into making one myself :)

oh and whatever you do, TEST the plastic before using it

I've made two lower facemasks myself (never used them thou). one was taking cardboard, then gluing plastic bits, then newspaper over that. the other one was simple cutting open one of those fancy ketchup bottle, cut it a certain way and the shape is like it was made for a facemask, I don't have it available for photo now, but I will take a picture when I can!

Unfortunetly having a nose like a roman i can't wear the lower face mask mesh comfortable and though there might be some goggles/glasses that fit me my GF used to be a dental nurse and some of the things shes seen scares the **** out of me as i hate the dentist.

So was looking at some helmets and came across this:

usarmy_nextgen_helmet_01.jpg

How bad-ass is that??

I'll have a look into the plexi glass, whats bothering me is how big the helmet, using a motorcycle visor will make it quite large as well i think.

My other option was to get a DYE i4 visor for £20 and work around that, apparently they are awesome for anti fog.

• Supporters

Unfortunetly having a nose like a roman i can't wear the lower face mask mesh comfortable and though there might be some goggles/glasses that fit me my GF used to be a dental nurse and some of the things shes seen scares the **** out of me as i hate the dentist.

So was looking at some helmets and came across this:

usarmy_nextgen_helmet_01.jpg

How bad-ass is that??

I'll have a look into the plexi glass, whats bothering me is how big the helmet, using a motorcycle visor will make it quite large as well i think.

My other option was to get a DYE i4 visor for £20 and work around that, apparently they are awesome for anti fog.

Funky looking lid! The Dye i4 visor only works so well because of the rest of the i4 mask system. On its own it probably won't be so good.

What you could do though is get a hard neoprene lower mask and use goggle clips to attach it to the rails on a MICH/FAST type helmet: neoprene-multicam-face-mask.jpg

Lexan polycarbonate should work well as visor material. Not sure about the best thickness.

You can also buy the face protector thing (believe it's called a mandible) separately which attaches onto the helmet - as an alternative to the neoprene half face mask.

Edited by Airsoft_Mr B

• Supporters

You can also buy the face protector thing (believe it's called a mandible) separately which attaches onto those arc rails - as an alternative to the neoprene half face mask.

YES! That's what I was thinking of!

Do you know where to source them? I can only find the mandibles by this company which costs a fortune, i think that lower half is like $550.

I'll have a look into a neoprine lower section. My mate is getting the mich/fast helmet so i can have a look at that as I'm still quite worried that it's far to large to be practical.

Good shout on the poly carbonate. I'm thinking ob maybe getting those cheapie paint ball masks with the plastic visor so i can cut a good shape or if decent enough just use that instead. And you're right the DYE on it's own probably wont cut it, need more vents.

• Supporters

When you Google stuff, be sure to add "airsoft" to the query so you don't end up with all real steel bits. I think either TMC or Emerson do mandible parts.

One thing to remember with the full face systems if they are normally orignially designed for gunners ether in helicopters or on plintle mounts of vehicles who tend to be aiming ether by tracer or RDS and do not tend to need a good cheek weld or to use more conventional rifle sights.

But.. that doesnet stop them looking damn cool and me want a set.

Completely agree. I saw the second image i posted and thought that looks cool and what I'm after.

Done a little digging on their youtube and the company encourages their own aiming style as the helmet is so huge. What I'm after is basically more information and variations as i want to make my own which will be more like the ebay one posted. In making my own, hopefully i can make it a bit more compact and smaller so it's a lot more practical.

Not guna buy it. Would be more interested if they had a black version but very helpful source.

So I asked about and the guy I'd seen them said he got it straight from mtek but the lower portion was multicam and he dyed it black

"and there well worth the money im very sad to see it go but does not suit my new load out and as such dont use it any more and as nice as it is would be criminal to let it sit on the manikin collecting bust".

Those are his exact words

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.