Where to place an Armoury number?

ronin677

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I have been used to seeing armoury numbers on L85's over the years and thought I'd copy this practice onto my M4 carbine. I have a standard M4A1 carbine (see photo).

Does anyone know the usual place on these rifles where armoury numbers are painted?

20140619_201648.jpg

thanks

My knowledge is of DEVGRU armoury numbers but i'll do my best. Usually they will go on any accessories (scope,torch, grip etc.) usually there will be one on each of the receiver halves and i have seen a fair few numbered pistol grips. So generally IRL it would be put on any item you dont want to be confused with another team mates gear. And for applying them, its usually done with a blue sharpie paint pen. Hope this helps :)

Edit: they will also be placed on the magazines along with numbers starting from 1,2,3.. for numbered magazines

From what I've seen, Blue, white, red and yellow are all used and it is dependent on the unit.

In pictures I've seen of the m4 in your format, one number on the stock in the recess directly under the tube, and one on the upper reciever like mine (same gun as yours)

3257a088-4f77-41f6-8d35-056c7aedb8cd_zps

cheers. I was thinking along the same lines. In the past our armourer put the numbers on the L85's on the under side of the lower trigger mechanism housing (almost up against the butt plate).

With the M4 I am thinking may be on the top of retractable stock at the rear

20140619_201648_zps0cfec12d.jpg

If your going to leave yours the way it is in the pic (early version) I have seen them either put one number on the top front of the retractable stock or put 2 numbers on. they will be on the side of the lower side of the stock followed by numbers on the back edge of the carry handle.
If you swapped the carry handle for a sight, its normally then put on the side of an acog or on top of a eotech.

like so....
DSCF3241_zpsd738243b.jpg

But in theory its no different than any UK armourer, each regiment will stick them where ever they feel like it. Plus other than the navy seals who stick it on every piece of the weapon you will never see more than two sets of numbers on one weapon.
And now a days they no longer put armourer marks and just add a QR sticker on the blank mag well section on the right hand side.

yep mk18. I had a spare upper so fitted the DD rail so now run between mod 0 and mod 1.

Personally I still think the mod 0 looks better. there's just something about the A frame sight that I like

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.