Airsoft Action Outrage/Mistake ?

Del Monty

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

didn't this come up before(this same pic?) cause i think i remember someone commenting about it before that they were talking to one of those involved and that the picture doesn't cover them actually doing the bang rule as they worked it that they had done whatever and were both then ducking down to avoid fire and that's when the picture was taken? even if im wrong on it we cant see any of the lead up etc. i know of many dodgy pics that seemed fine when being taken and then look like they don't represent what the photographer was aiming quite for. course blind firing is stupid, as is point blank firing at someone. i think that the airsoft mag in question used this pic on purpose to increase their ratings..

• Supporters

I'm not saying it's fine, because blind firing definitely isn't fine.

I'm just saying, I couldn't give a single toss about that particular photo, because it's just a photo of blind firing. I have seen instances of blind firing that are far worse than this, on multiple occasions.

This isn't a special instance of it, it happens every single weekend more times than you could shake every stick in the wood at.

My issue with it, is that people are going ballistic about it when it's really not a big deal.

It's blind firing. Yes, and? People shouldn't do it? Ok. Now what...?

• Supporters

I realize I may have overreacted initially when I first posted this .. however from past experience I guess I don't forgive or forget easily so I apologize If I come across as a little strong . ...

I think personally this is something that should be looked at a little more carefully for both sides of the fence so to speak .. how you go about that I am not sure .. its hard to say unless someone is blatantly blind firing to which case I would seek tough punishment as a result .. but thats just me and my personal thoughts.

Being pretty new to all this, I can see and agree with both prevailing points of view, it is unacceptable and very dangerous, but also, it happens and it's not worth crucifixion or castration! Perhaps, in an ideal world, all this would take would be the swift intervention of a marshal to "kill" the offender, ideally, immediately and send him back to re-spawn? From what I've seen so far at sites, in my limited experience, if Marshals stepped in quickly, with a consistent line on the rules and variances, it would stamp out this quicker and get us all back to doing what we all enjoy doing quicker?

To be fair to the Marshals, it is a difficult job, a bit like reffing a football match,,,,where the players all have guns!

• Supporters

It's more like herding cats. Blind, retarded cats.

Some people will go out of their way not to listen and even further out of their way to try and dodge the rules that have been explicitly laid down.

You're always going to get people doing this.

It does make me chuckle how left wing the majority of airsofters seem to be. I am repeatedly hearing the words very dangerous!

It's not really is it? I mean worst case scenario is you get shot in a soft bit of your face / body and get a small boo boo.

Rarely will a BB penetrate skin and if it does it's only superficial, pop it out, put a plaster over it and take a couple of paracetamol, it really isn't a biggie. The worst injury is smashed teeth and that's more vanity than actual injury.

Either way, none of it is considered very dangerous in my book.

We are more at risk of tripping in woodland and breaking a bone than being injured by a bb, no matter what range.

It does make me chuckle how left wing the majority of airsofters seem to be. I am repeatedly hearing the words very dangerous!

It's not really is it? I mean worst case scenario is you get shot in a soft bit of your face / body and get a small boo boo.

Rarely will a BB penetrate skin and if it does it's only superficial, pop it out, put a plaster over it and take a couple of paracetamol, it really isn't a biggie. The worst injury is smashed teeth and that's more vanity than actual injury.

We are more at risk of tripping in woodland and breaking a bone than being injured by a bb, no matter what range.

The danger isn't being hit as such.... It's accidentally removing the oppositions eye pro with the barrel and then proceeding to shoot because you have not noticed you have done so. Even with straps on eye pro this can still happen.

I have had this happen to me via blind firing but was fortunately shot in the cheek and not my exposed eyes. If potentially blinding someone isn't dangerous then I really don't know what is! Everytime I play cqb I get hit square in the face at least 5 times and I really don't mind because I have eye pro. Remove that eye pro (intentiinally or not) and it will tend to bring out the worst in me.

If I get injured whilst playing via running into a wall, twisting an ankle, breaking my leg, etc etc then these are self inflicted. If I get injured by someone else for playing outside the rules than that's a completely different thing altogether.

& when the arsehole sticks his gun round the corner with the muzzle smashing your goggles/glasses off your face or even just nudges them out of place and let's rip on full auto tell us all how it's "just a boo boo" blind firing is retarded & unsporting and anyone caught doing it at any place I play will get told to fuck off and will be reported

• Supporters

You think the majority are left wing? Whhhaaaaaattt?

Since I started airsofting and adding all the people I've met on Facebook I find myself inundated with fucking morons sharing Britain First posts left, right and centre. Airsofters seem to be ridiculously right wing on the whole.

I think that kicking off about something being dangerous is a right wing stance as well, because they'll be the same people who go ballistic in the event of an accident. The lynch mob mentality is that of right wingers. Oh, he got caught cheating? Ban him for life and make sure all the other sites do too. Oh, he shot someone in the face even though that's the point of the game? I think we should hang him for that.

Yup, 'cos that's not an overreaction...

Even in this very thread people are saying the guy blind firing ought to have been banned.

Seriously? What has to have happened to you in life in order for you to gain such a ridiculously malicious mentality?

It's a game!

So that's one very specific instance of glasses being knocked off. I would also say it's a vary rare and quite difficult thing to pull off, even intentionally.

Natural reactions for anything that close to your face is to protect it. We raise our hands and turn our heads instinctively. It's more likely I would suggest, that the action of reacting to the muzzle was what removed the glasses, as opposed to the gun moving them and exposing the eye, hence why it hit your cheek and not your exposed eye.

I have also just spent 10 min having someone try to intentionally remove my glasses with both my rifle and my pistol muzzles. We can't do it. If you can then you need better eye pro for exactly this situation.

Regardless, I agree that being shot at point blank in the eye would tick the very dangerous description.

I just see it as a freak accident as opposed to a legitimate risk.

I'm not defending blind firing in any way, I don't like it as much as the rest, but I keep reading in this and other threads that being shot at in general is very dangerous, with no specifics or explanation.

Left wing as in:

"Something I have disapproved of has happened, so I feel victimised and must shout to all and sundry about it, to have the authorities intervene on my behalf because I have suffered an event and somebody needs to be accountable for my inequality"

Right wing would be

"Oi dickhead stop blind firing, I am commanding you because my position in society is higher than yours because I am not cheating"

A persons views on specific topics can vary and cross the lines of LW/RW.

For example, many right wing anti immigration supporters also support the left wing idea of de criminalising drug use.

But we digress ...

• Supporters

blind firing is wrong - we all know that

Looks to me they both ran for the same bit of cover as often happens....

They both know - $hit he is behind this wall....

Now what should be happening is they both jump out - left/right and take their chances

coz in reality nobody is/should be surrendering so it is do or die

you hope you can make it out to see the blokes ar$e as you emerge - no not in the flesh ffs

but the back or side of him or you both come face to face

question is do you jump out and go far wide left/right or tight to object

this crap happens all time in skirmish or COD - you both know what needs to happen

You just hope that when you emerge you don't get taken by his m8 instead

Once - me & another player came out face to face both fired on target

I declared hit but opponent did not though I swear we started to fire whilst both "alive"

so therefore this would have been:

aiuchi = simultaneous hit as used in matial arts, though that means no score but in aisoft we both dead/hit

Fair enough I think but was a tiny bit pi$$ed for a while but it happens every weekend no doubt

but that at least we both went for it as we knew we had to - think we both hit but $hit happens

rather die trying so to speak than wait for blind firing bang bollox crap to come over

or just wait for him to pop round for a chat

I once got into a similar situation to the photograph. Myself and an opposing team member both dashed to opposite sides of the same cover. It was about waist high. We decided the best thing to do was both take a hit as otherwise we were so close one of us would get hurt :D

So that's one very specific instance of glasses being knocked off. I would also say it's a vary rare and quite difficult thing to pull off, even intentionally.

Natural reactions for anything that close to your face is to protect it. We raise our hands and turn our heads instinctively. It's more likely I would suggest, that the action of reacting to the muzzle was what removed the glasses, as opposed to the gun moving them and exposing the eye, hence why it hit your cheek and not your exposed eye.

I have also just spent 10 min having someone try to intentionally remove my glasses with both my rifle and my pistol muzzles. We can't do it. If you can then you need better eye pro for exactly this situation.

Regardless, I agree that being shot at point blank in the eye would tick the very dangerous description.

I'm not defending blind firing in any way, I don't like it as much as the rest, but I keep reading in this and other threads that being shot at in general is very dangerous, with no specifics or explanation.

Lolololololololol your argument is completely flawed. Guys tries to simulate a possible accident in safe conditions for ten minutes and it doesn't happen so he declares it freak accident.

Dude, if you understand risk assessments you understand freak accident is exactly what you are trying to avoid. You must understand in this situation risk vs reward. Imagine if EVERYONE started blind firing from tommorow if we all started doing this the incidents would increase from one guy trying over 10 minutes to thousands of guys doing it overs hours every weekend. Not only this but the reward of blind firing is just not worth the risk of blinding even just one person.

It's like saying in ten years of driving I've never had an accident and this I won't wear a seatbelt! It makes no sense as if the worst should happen you will be buggered

1215118729_g.jpg

Good thing kapitalist no fire blind plastic bb!! VERY DANGEROUS, we kapitulate!

Left wing as in:

"Something I have disapproved of has happened, so I feel victimised and must shout to all and sundry about it, to have the authorities intervene on my behalf because I have suffered an event and somebody needs to be accountable for my inequality"

Right wing would be

"Oi d*ckhead stop blind firing, I am commanding you because my position in society is higher than yours because I am not cheating"

A persons views on specific topics can vary and cross the lines of LW/RW.

For example, many right wing anti immigration supporters also support the left wing idea of de criminalising drug use.

But we digress ...

Ignorant bs. Left wing does not equal feeling victimised and right wing does not equal being an a***hole.

Could we maybe keep politics off the airsoft forums? It's rather insulting and the only thing that can come from it is bickering and flamewars.

• Supporters

The worst injury is smashed teeth and that's more vanity than actual injury.

I would consider a mouth full of smashed teeth to be a pretty grievous injury, extremely expensive to fix, extraordinarily painful until you do get it fixed and debilitating socially and physically until you're all repaired.

You've clearly never broken a tooth if you think it's just vanity!

Either way, blindfire is bad, I've seen people's eye protection nudged by a barrel before (doesn't need to be removed remember, just shifted a couple of mm), if that was followed up by even a single shot then blindness follows.

Banning people for blindfire? That'd be pretty stupid. Marshals should be giving them a stern talking to and a warning about it, repeat offenders told to go home and think about what they have done.

As for the eye protection part. I've had problems finding ones that fit with my glasses and lower mesh (always keeping my eyes open for better options mind you!). If barrel colliding with them they would be very likely to come off.

Glasses offers no protection, a bb hitting them would mean glass and potentially the bb (especially if at close range) would hit the eye.

Plus even if you take the safety element out of the blind firing equation there's the honesty and gameplay factor to consider as well. Imagine if you took the offside rule out of football... The goal hanging and hoofing would be ridiculous with strikers never leaving the 6 yard box lololololol. Likewise in airsoft (especially in cqb) you would walk into a building to see a gun or two hanging from every corner but wouldn't see a person behind the gun. 5 or 6 people doing that and you'd struggle to get through them to say the least. It would fundamentally change the way we play making it less pro active and less tactical with the chicken shits just poking guns round corners with hi caps popping off shots to hold you back.

If that sounds like fun then I don't even know what to say lol

I don't believe in instantly banning BF players but I think 3 warnings before being sent home is pretty fair as it's the site organiser who pays for the insurance after all. They won't be covered for a player who persistently plays dangerously. Only takes a few people to claim the Marshall's didn't act before the insurer says we ain't covering you for 'allowing' (via lack of action) dangerous play

Likewise in airsoft (especially in cqb) you would walk into a building to see a gun or two hanging from every corner but wouldn't see a person behind the gun. 5 or 6 people doing that and you'd struggle to get through them to say the least.

Not to mention when both sides start doing it and the sport become utterly pointless ^^

• Supporters

I believe that those who commit blatant forms of dangerous play, IE Blind Firing .. those who seek out to deliberately cheat/hurt somebody should be banned .. it is a fine line between proving blame or claiming accident I acknowledge this ... however those put in charge of games and skirmish days (Site Owner's / Marshal's) should be mature and sensible enough to determine either .. or .... in cases such as these. Pictures like the one posted above are not good advertisements for the sport, whether guilty or not of dangerous play/cheating .. how it was ever thought sensible to post in a magazine I will never know.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.