WW2 airsoft for dummies

Russe11

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Love this guide, should be helpful to those starting a WW2 loadout before they make the biggest historical error.

Typically, I see this a lot on YouTube (usually Americans playing the Nazi Germany role). A player says "righto, WW2 Nazi Germany infantry loadout". They get all the gear right, look like proper true to the real deal, then ruin it by using an MP-40..

Unlike the movies when everybody and their mothers are using an MP-40 that's not historically accurate as it was only issued to high ranking officers and paratroopers. Most Germans had the Karabiner 98 and would forum a nine man rifle squad one of which would be using an MG-34.

So a very good guide. I hope people will follow this if they're thinking about the WW2 road. Well done.

I was thinking that myself as a matter in fact how it's a bit of a paradox. It seems majority of all guns in WW2 airsoft are SMGs, while they would be minority in the war. As well as them being the intro guns.

Thou this of course is not a flaw in the guide :)

Generally the AEG's are the sub machine guns, so it's best to start with a sub machine gun. Rifles are harder to get. Things are getting better with AEG M1 garands and various K98's and Mosin Nagants. Lee Enfield's are harder as theres either the shoot and scoot No.4 or the Ironairsoft No.1 MkIII I have. But they are more expensive, can be unreliable and getting hold of them can be tough.

No-one really cares what gun you use as long as its correct period. It's accepted that guns are expensive so if you play British and German and use a sten for both thats fine. In fact Germans had a copy of the Sten that was issued to their equivalent of the home guard and the Sten was copied off a German sub machine gun anyway. Just don't turn up to a WW2 game with a Systema :D

If all you have is a 2 tone M4, just wrap hessian around it and take off any red dots, lasers etc. It's accepted that it takes time to get everything together for WW2 airsoft and generally it's preferred that people go to the games rather than sit at home until they have all the gear.

• 2 months later...

I tried to attend a ww2 rifle only game and I had a thompson and an svd, asked if they were suitable and was told no end of story, can I hessian wrap my svd ... No you can't but as it happens I couldn't get to the games that weekend so it really wasn't an issue.

A good forum with helpful guys!

However I was told I could use an m14 which I bought anyway as I like them.

Unlike the movies when everybody and their mothers are using an MP-40 that's not historically accurate as it was only issued to high ranking officers and paratroopers. Most Germans had the Karabiner 98 and would forum a nine man rifle squad one of which would be using an MG-34.

Whilst that is generally true, later in the war (i.e. after 1943) the MP-40 was actually issued more widely to regular troops. That was a direct response to encountering the Russian army using sub machine guns in larger numbers than most other WW2 forces. Ironically enough, this led the Germans to develop the StG44, which the Russians then used as the inspiration for the AK47 after WW2. However, in spite of the German's desire to hand out the MP40 in larger numbers, unlike the PPSh41 and 43, of which over eight million were produced, the MP40 wasn't produced in the truly massive numbers necessary to make that possible (i.e. only a fraction over a million units according to most records), so whilst it is true that there weren't enough of them to hand over to everyone in the Wehrmacht, the Germans did actually want to do that, particularly in light of their experience against the Russians, who of course had the Germans retreating because of that much better weight of firepower. Thus the Germans did so as much as they could, and there are certainly quite a few instances where entire units were equipped with the MP40 in the closing stages of the war, it's just that it was not the norm for most army units.

If you want a truly ridiculous example of MP40 usage however, nothing beats Mary Ure, Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood's MP40s in Where Eagles Dare, which aside from appearing to be loaded with armour-piercing incendiary ammunition, judging by the amount of damage they can do, also seem to be fitted with special high capacity magazines capable of holding hundreds of rounds. :lol:

• 4 months later...

If you want a truly ridiculous example of MP40 usage however, nothing beats Mary Ure, Richard Burton and Clint Eastwood's MP40s in Where Eagles Dare, which aside from appearing to be loaded with armour-piercing incendiary ammunition, judging by the amount of damage they can do, also seem to be fitted with special high capacity magazines capable of holding hundreds of rounds. :lol:

The day an american movie is historically accurate will be the day they actually win a war :lol:

• 3 months later...

Any one know about Polish or Russian WW2 gear?

Polish gear is complicated. The Polish army starts with it's own gear, then after the fall of Poland, they were re-equipped by the French, then by the British. Other Polish units were equipped by the Russians and during the Warsaw uprising there is a mix of civilian gear and captured German gear.

http://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/20-images-wwii-uniforms.html This may help

Polish_Infantry_Private_1939.jpg

Russian is a bit easier http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/ussr-rkka-summer/

If you ask around on ww2airsoft.org.uk, there are people who do Russian and even Polish gear.

The day an american movie is historically accurate will be the day they actually win a war :lol:

The dept of defence never release a war film unless there made to shine or kicking ass from the begining, anyone one would think they won WW1 & WW2 by themselves

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.